Eric Caldow Breaks His Leg

Ozblue

Horrible, happened twice in matches when I was playing (not me) and once when watching, there is something truly horrendous about this sort of injury and I don't need to go into detail, really feel for anyone who been through this.

Hands up Oz you caught me out there. I completely forgot he was at Falkirk in between.

I was young at the time but remember people being really shocked at his tragic death.

To be fair,hp; He was only at Falkirk for the 1958-59 season before Bill Nicholson bought him for Spurs, so it's quite easy to forget it.

Had to watch it a couple of times but I think it was accident. Horrible viewing though :anguish: can feel it

I think it was accidental and due to the fact that Smith had let the ball get away from him then Caldow was too quick. Smith was never known for his finesse and he was a brute of a man, but I don't think he deliberately meant to crock Eric.

Horrible, happened twice in matches when I was playing (not me) and once when watching, there is something truly horrendous about this sort of injury and I don't need to go into detail, really feel for anyone who been through this.

I agree with you,mate! I've had broken bones and many injuries playing back in those days, but nothing close to an injury as bad as that. I've seen many team mates (and opponents) receive injuries that have ended their careers and it's always a horrendous thing to happen.