Spurs worse than Leeds - Woodgate

Despondent Tottenham defender Jonathan Woodgate has compared his side's plight to that of his former club Leeds, who dropped out of the top flight in 2004.

Woodgate felt Thursday's error-prone Uefa Cup loss by Udinese encapsulated Spurs' woeful start to the season.

The 2-0 defeat left him admitting the players had to "take responsibility".

Woodgate told BBC Sport: "People say we are too good to go down but we aren't. I've seen it happen at Leeds and they had a better team than we do here."

In answer to the question of whether the club were facing a relegation battle, he added: "One million per cent we are at the moment."

Udinese won after a blunder by Spurs keeper Heurelho Gomes saw them concede their third penalty in two matches, while Jamie O'Hara was sent off after picking two yellow cards in the space of a minute, becoming the third Tottenham player to be dismissed in the last two games.

Asked if he could take any positives from the game, Woodgate said: "No, none at all.

"What went wrong was the same as has been happening in every single game we have played in this season - a lack of concentration. We have got to start learning quickly."

The defeat was a fourth in five games for Spurs and, with Bolton their next opponents in the Premier League on Sunday, Woodgate said Juande Ramos's side must end that dismal run quickly.

"A goal goes in and you think 'here we go again'," the England defender added.

"When you have a losing mentality like we've got at the moment you have got to get really stuck in and start winning games or you just get used to losing and losing and losing."

Woodgate left Leeds for Newcastle before they dropped out of the Premier League but he has not forgotten the fate of his former team-mates.

Indebtedness, administration and relegation to League One followed for the Elland Road club and the 28-year-old is anxious for Spurs to avoid their fate.

"We have really got to roll our sleeves up here and start grafting because, I am telling you now, it is going to be hard," he said.

"We are bottom of the Premier League with two points and it doesn't really get much worse than that.

"Without a doubt I will take responsibility - I have got to stand up like everyone else. It is the players who shoulder the blame because we are not pulling our weight on the pitch.

I'm very angry because I don't like to lose. We lost this match in this competition and now we have to win matches to qualify for the next stage

"If we are not producing the goods and getting the wins then pressure is going to be put on the manager, the chairman and Damien Comolli (Spurs' sporting director).

"The way we have been playing, we deserve to be down at the bottom of the table - we deserve to be where we are, end of story."

Ramos is under increasing pressure at White Hart Lane after the worst start to a season in the club's history.

He revealed his frustration after they were beaten in Italy, saying: "I'm very angry because I don't like to lose. We lost this match in this competition and now we have to win matches to qualify for the next stage."

But the Spaniard played down David Bentley's exclusion from his 18-man match-day squad, hours after the England winger spoke out about Tottenham's disastrous form.

Bentley was in Italy but did not even make it on to the bench.

"I chose these 18 players out of the 20 in the squad," Ramos explained. "I don't know what happened before the match.

"His (Bentley's) reaction was normal, the same as the other players who are not playing."

Now Ramos must lift his side, who are four points adrift at the bottom of the table, as they return to domestic action in Sunday's home game against Wanderers.

"The situation is not very comfortable," the former Sevilla boss added. "At this moment (morale) in the dressing room is not in a normal situation but they know it's possible to win in football and it's possible to lose."

good to know that he thinks his current team-mates are not as good as what leeds had!

His actual quote was regarding the Leeds squad that got the CL semi finals (with the likes of Ferdinand, Woodgate, Dacourt, Bowyer, Kewell, Viduka etc). There's not a great deal of shame in not being as good as that lot were back in the day.

good to know that he thinks his current team-mates are not as good as what leeds had!

His actual quote was regarding the Leeds squad that got the CL semi finals (with the likes of Ferdinand, Woodgate, Dacourt, Bowyer, Kewell, Viduka etc). There's not a great deal of shame in not being as good as that lot were back in the day.

you still here spursger!!! no seen you in a while...................keeping a low key this season ;)

you still here spursger!!! no seen you in a while...................keeping a low key this season ;)

:mutley:

I still lurk ;) Usually try and give a Spurs side of things on the odd occasion we come up in discussion on here. I try and make myself useful if I can ^_^

:mutley:

I still lurk ;) Usually try and give a Spurs side of things on the odd occasion we come up in discussion on here. I try and make myself useful if I can ^_^

you do a good job mate. Good to see you get a result today :unionflag:

whata fucking idiot, of course they aren't, they wont get relegated now with harry in charge. That 3 points they got at the weekend has only put them 3-5 points off mid-table and its against teams Spurs should and now proberly will topple easily.

Am sure his team-mates will like this article.....not.

whata fucking idiot, of course they aren't, they wont get relegated now with harry in charge. That 3 points they got at the weekend has only put them 3-5 points off mid-table and its against teams Spurs should and now proberly will topple easily.

He said it in an after-match interview after the Thursday game vs Udi. He was obviously utterly pissed off, as he, King and Jenas allegedly went to Levy that night and told him that Ramos had lost the dressing room and needed to go.

He said it in an after-match interview after the Thursday game vs Udi. He was obviously utterly pissed off, as he, King and Jenas allegedly went to Levy that night and told him that Ramos had lost the dressing room and needed to go.

If SR had been kept in charge-there is no doubt Spurs were relegation fodder.

Harry coming in is great for Spurs & the game in general.

Everyone loves his honest & straight batting style & the players will go thru brick walls for him.

A respectable finishing position in top half will cement him for next season.

Only problems are the £45,000 weekly wage cap.