Gilardino banned for 2 games for scoring with his hand

bluenose_72

Fiorentina striker Alberto Gilardino has received a two-game ban for using his hand to score against Palermo yesterday.

The Azzurri ace caused enormous controversy when he put the ball in the net at the Stadio Renzo Barbera using his wrist.

Gilardino seemed to have been pushed from behind by stopper Hernan Dellafiore and most pundits agree he would've been awarded a penalty had referee Emidio Morganti had a clear view of the incident.

However, Palermo chief Maurizio Zamparini was livid and he called for Gila to be suspended for five games.

Video replays have been reviewed this afternoon and the former Milan ace will now be banned for two games for “intentionally” scoring with his hand.

Fiorentina will now be without one of their key men for the upcoming tests against Inter and Siena.

i think its a great idea and i wish more countries would follow suit and i would do the same with people who dive to get penalties

Did you watch the highlights though Kpl? No way should he have received any punishment for that, it wasn't quite Maradona style.

Ahhh, ol' Albo. I fondly remember him for scoring for Fio against Juve this year.

But he was a tragic waste of money for Milan and I was over the moon when we got shot.

i think its a great idea and i wish more countries would follow suit and i would do the same with people who dive to get penalties

Did you watch the highlights though Kpl? No way should he have received any punishment for that, it wasn't quite Maradona style.

no i never seen any highlights i just think if tv evidence shows a player to be cheating i think a two game ban while it wont stop it it might make some players think twice about it

The ban has been upheld after appeal.

Fiorentina star Alberto Gilardino has failed in his appeal against a two-match ban for scoring with his hand against Palermo.

The calcio world has been divided by Gilardino's goal in Fiorentina's 3-1 win over Palermo on Sunday evening.

The Azzurri hitman put the ball in with his wrist, but only after he seemed to be pushed by defender Hernan Dellafiore while bearing down on goal.

The disciplinary commission decided to impose a two-game suspension when reviewing video evidence after the game, which would keep Gilardino out for tomorrow's big game against Inter.

Many voices have been raised in support of Gila and Inter chief Massimo Moratti expected his ban to be quashed, but the decision has been upheld.

The Italian Football Federation's court of justice reviewed the evidence and feel that the original judgement was fair.

Fiorentina Coach Cesare Prandelli will now have to trust in Giampaolo Pazzini to partner Adrian Mutu.