Glasgow plays host to Davis Cup

Great Britain captain John Lloyd and Andy Murray

GB captain John Lloyd will be hoping Andy Murray is available next year

Glasgow will stage Great Britain's home tie against Ukraine in next year's Euro/Africa zone of the Davis Cup.

Local hero Andy Murray is set to lead the team out in front of a partisan crowd at the Braehead Arena in March.

Team captain John Lloyd said: "Home Davis Cup ties are a fantastic opportunity to get behind the team.

"We will certainly not be underestimating Ukraine and the support of a passionate crowd in Scotland could well make all the difference."

The winner of the Euro-Africa Zone Group One tie from 6-8 March will advance to the the World Group play-offs in September, the losing nation facing a tie in July to remain in Group One.

GB suffered a disappointing 3-2 defeat by Austria in their World Group play-off at Wimbledon in September, which saw them relegated to the second tier.

"2008 was a disappointing year for us, particularly when we had worked so hard to get back into the World Group, but the focus is now on fighting to get back among the elite nations in 2010 and I can't wait to get started in March," Lloyd said.

MY SPORT: DEBATE

Are Scottish tennis fans excited about hosting the Davis Cup?

It will be the fourth time Britain have taken on Ukraine, having won all three previous meetings.

"We last played them in 2006 in Odessa, which was my first tie as captain," Lloyd added.

Ukraine's leading player is world number 83 Sergiy Stakhovsky, who lost in straight sets to Murray in Britain's 3-2 victory.

After Stakhovsky, Ukraine will have to turn to the likes of world number 213, Ilia Marchenko, or the 285th-ranked Sergei Bubka.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/7693199.stm