Is there a 'best player in the world'?

Danny

That guy could hit a penalty!! :drool:

If we could account that as a feat in "greatest ever" debate, I vote Alan Shearer. :D

You obviously have never seen the great Chalmers in action. Never missed a penalty.

Awesome midfielder too.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is all about your own opinion. I'd say Ligue 1 and Bundesliga are much better than the Bwin Liga and Eredivisie.

Hate being anal, but it's not Bwin anymore, it's Liga Sagres now. :)

Thank you for correcting me :craphead:

If we could account that as a feat in "greatest ever" debate, I vote Alan Shearer. :D

You obviously have never seen the great Chalmers in action. Never missed a penalty.

Awesome midfielder too.

Wasn't intending to knock on Chalmers, just quipped how I always enjoyed Shearer's unsophisticated "put it where he ain't...and hard" style of executing penalty kicks.

Awesome midfielder too.

Wasn't intending to knock on Chalmers, just quipped how I always enjoyed Shearer's unsophisticated "put it where he ain't...and hard" style of executing penalty kicks.

Although i'm sure Shearer would fail if he tried the Chalmers 'one penatly with left foot, next penalty with right foot' method.

Truly awesome!

The Ronaldo thread got me thinking. I've been considering this issue for a while.

Once upon a time there was no contest that Pele was the best player in the world. Then it was Maradona.

And in between, you overlooked Cruijff. Who I rate higher than Pele, because he didn't play mickey mouse Brazilian league all his life.

This is true.

Mikey Mouse Dutch league and NASL most of his career!

The Mickey Mouse Dutch league which spawned four European champion titles between 1970 and 1975 ?

Then there was his spell at barcelona in the Mickey Mouse Liga....

The Ronaldo thread got me thinking. I've been considering this issue for a while.

Once upon a time there was no contest that Pele was the best player in the world. Then it was Maradona.

And in between, you overlooked Cruijff. Who I rate higher than Pele, because he didn't play mickey mouse Brazilian league all his life.

This is true.

The Mickey Mouse Dutch league which spawned four European champion titles between 1970 and 1975 ?

You can throw all the impressive stats at me you want. :P

Pele said Best was the greatest he had ever seen that will do me

Yes but he also said that Nicky Butt was the best player at the 2002 world cup and that Nii Lamptey would become the best player in the world. I agree with Best as the best ever but getting an endoresement from Pele can be the kiss of death for a player

This is true.

Yes, I admire your indefatigability.

Sticking to ones opinion regardless of facts is a sign of greatness.

As an aside, did you ever see Cruyff play?

I did a few times, and he's by far the best player Europe has produced in my time.

This is true.

Yes, I admire your indefatigability.

Sticking to ones opinion regardless of facts is a sign of greatness.

As an aside, did you ever see Cruyff play?

I did a few times, and he's by far the best player Europe has produced in my time.

I've never doubted Cruyff's ability. I only pointed out he played, at times, in a shit league as did Pele.

I wouldn't offer an argument for him not being the best European player in your time either. I was mearly using the same argument as someone did for Pele.

And no i have never watched him play, i'm not quite old enough although i have watched plenty of him on TV.

Since the debate was about The best player in the 'world' i'll stick to Maradona.

At his peak, Zidane had a tad more than a 'claim' to that title.

I'd go as far to say that he strolled it.

What ever??

Better than Pele and Maradona?

Equally as good, IMO.

I don't dispute Zidane's quality. I'm not sure i would rank him above Pele or Maradona. Each to their own i suppose.

I do. I never liked Zidane. I remember at the Euros in 2000 he got POTT while clearly Figo was the best player there. And for me Figo was always better than Zidane.

Figo was good for a couple of seasons but Zidane maintained that level for a lot longer. Even at the end of his career in the 2002 World Cup he was the stand out player. Besides his silly dismissal in the final he was amazing and in the semi final he made the Brazilian midfield look like children. Simply magic at his best. Best player in my living memory.

I cannot believe that deco has been mentioned as the best footballer in the world. there are plenty of players currently better than him = gerrard, pirlo, xavi, iniesta etc and they are only ones i mention in his position. then you have torres, ronaldo, kaka, messi, villa, silva, rooney, berbatov, sneijder, van der vaart etc etc etc

I cannot believe that deco has been mentioned as the best footballer in the world. there are plenty of players currently better than him = gerrard, pirlo, xavi, iniesta etc and they are only ones i mention in his position. then you have torres, ronaldo, kaka, messi, villa, silva, rooney, berbatov, sneijder, van der vaart etc etc etc

I agree but Danny has man love for him

And you don't agrue with Danny when he brings out the man love :lol:

I still suspect he believes Ronaldo to be the best striker on the planet? :harhar:

Pele said Best was the greatest he had ever seen that will do me

Yes but he also said that Nicky Butt was the best player at the 2002 world cup and that Nii Lamptey would become the best player in the world. I agree with Best as the best ever but getting an endoresement from Pele can be the kiss of death for a player

Yea but that's when he had erectile dysfunction clearly his heed wasn't right.

It is all about your own opinion.

It is :)

I'd say Ligue 1 and Bundesliga are much better than the Bwin Liga and Eredivisie.

They used to be, yes. If it wasn't for Lyon and Bayern, neither would be considered anything special. Marginally better perhaps but never in a higher tier.

As for the Inter and Juve teams I'd say Buffon, Chiellini, Maicon, Mancini and Ibrahimovic are all up there with the best players in the world.

Well then it depends on your criteria. It would be absurd to suggest Mancini is as good as Ronaldo or Messi imo. But he is a great player. Maicon is quality as well, up there with Hutton, Alvez and Bosingwa but already we're hitting murky territory where you've just made a loose claim that Maicon is the best player in the world. Which basically backs up the point I'm making.

On current form Gourcuff is one who you could definitely count in from Ligue 1(obviously a lot less from Ligue 1 and the Bundesliga than EPL, La Liga and even Serie A).

See? This issue is so blurred these days. Once upon a time Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Gullit, Zidane (albeit I didn't like him) and Ronaldinho etc were absolutely the #1. Now we have no idea who is and we're scouring tier 2 leagues to pick very good players who maybe could be classed as 'up there'.

It's Xavi for me, all day long.

But you can break that down into so many categories - Best striker is Ruud, best 'young player' is Higuain etc.

What makes the best striker better than the best defender or vice versa though? I see your point Danny, it's a hard one to call.

agreed fantastic player

think on last seasons performance Ronaldo deserves to be called the best IMO- but there are a few that could win it nowadays unlike in the past when pele or maradonna where untouchable

Are you seriously suggesting Pirlo is currently better than Deco?

1: Pirlo's injured.

2: Last time he played well was against France in 2006.

To dismiss Deco is outright ignorance.

And you don't agrue with Danny when he brings out the man love :lol:

I still suspect he believes Ronaldo to be the best striker on the planet? :harhar:

He was. He is also another in the list of 'best player on earth'. Certainly was in his Barcelona and Inter days.