Goalkeeping tips for Alan Mcgregor

What a cock Schumacher was. The French player was unconscious for ages. Platini accompanied the stretcher off the pitch thinking Battiston was dead.

Ended up with a broken jaw and damaged vertebrae

Didnt the striker die??

No, he was ok. Battiston, was a good player.

Battiston is particularly remembered for the 1982 FIFA World Cup semi final in Seville, when France faced West Germany. He came off the bench in the second half, and after ten minutes of play, following a through ball by Platini, Battiston was clear through the German defence racing towards goal. The German goalkeeper, Harald Schumacher, raced towards Battiston as the Frenchman took the shot, missing the goal. Schumacher leapt into the air, twisting his body and colliding with Battiston.

In the process Schumacher's hip hit the Frenchman's face. Battiston, clattered, fell to the ground unconscious, with damaged vertebrae and teeth knocked out, later slipping into a coma. Emergency medics had to administer oxygen on the pitch.[1] Michel Platini later said that he thought that Battiston was dead, because "he had no pulse and looked pale".[2]

The referee did not give a foul, let alone send Schumacher off. Schumacher then proceeded to take the goal-kick and play resumed. After winning the game, the goalkeeper caused more controversy when he was told that Battiston had lost several teeth, and replied: "If that's all that's wrong with him, I'll pay him the crowns."

Schumacher later apologised in person to Battiston, and the apology was accepted by Battiston.

Sacre bleu!

Keeper is a fukin loony!

Wasn't as bad a challange as its made out to be, just a freak accident. How can you intentionally knock someone out with your fucking hip?

Made worse challanges and had worse done to me by opposition strikers regularly on a saturday.

I watched that game at the time. WC Semi-Final. '82 it was. WG made it through to the Final.

Axtually....didn't the game go to penalties? I seem to remember WG winning & there almost being a war between the two countries as France complained that Schumacher shouldn't have been on the pitch to face the penalties!

I watched that game at the time. WC Semi-Final. '82 it was. WG made it through to the Final.

Axtually....didn't the game go to penalties? I seem to remember WG winning & there almost being a war between the two countries as France complained that Schumacher shouldn't have been on the pitch to face the penalties!

I'm pretty sure it was a 4-4 draw and then penalties off the top of my head. It was a high-scoring game Im sure.