Disgraceful, foul-mouthed thugs

:craphead:

A TEAM of MSPs was last night branded "an absolute disgrace" after a football match in which they were involved was called off when tempers boiled over.

The match at Lesser Hampden in Glasgow on Sunday was stopped after about 55 minutes when the game threatened to descend into a mass brawl following a number of contentious challenges between the politicians and their opponents, a team of sports journalists.

One of the flashpoints in the match saw the BBC broadcaster, Chick Young, injured in a tackle involving John Park, the MSP for Mid Scotland and Fife, after which the MSP was sent off.

In an interview last night, Mr Young claimed the MSPs behaved like a "team of thugs" and were "an absolute disgrace". He said: "This wasn't any joke on Sunday; these people were an absolute disgrace. The attitude towards the referee, the language that was used by the politicians on the occasion, was totally out of order."

But Mr Park – who has been touted as a future Scottish Labour leader and is the Glenrothes by-election campaign manager – sought to play down the behaviour of the politicians at the match, suggesting everyone there played a role in causing the problems.

Mr Young said that at first he thought the tackle on him had broken his ankle. "It's not, but it's pretty bad and I had to abandon a day's charity golf yesterday, which broke my heart as well," he said.

Mr Park claimed his tackle on the broadcaster was an accident after which he immediately apologised.

He said: "It was a mistimed tackle on Chick and I put my hand up straight away and apologised to him."

When asked how Mr Young responded, Mr Park replied: "He was OK."

However, the BBC football journalist reacted furiously to the MSP's account, saying: "I have absolutely no idea where he was on Sunday morning because he certainly wasn't at the match.

http://news.scotsman.com/latestnews/Disgra...ugs-.4638237.jp