SPL sides to mark Remembrance Day with poppy shirts

*Manticore*

http://www.<No links to this website>/news/editors-...86908-20849623/

SPL sides to mark Remembrance Day with poppy shirts

Oct 29 2008

EVERY SPL team will wear special Remembrance Day jerseys next week.

The tribute will take place after poppy appeal organisers wrote to the 12 clubs asking them to wear the one-off kit - and all agreed.

Some clubs will have a small red poppy woven in to team jerseys on the day. Others will make their own tribute with players sporting a stick-on poppy.

Referees, their assistants and fourth officials will also join in the tribute by wearing a poppy on their outfits.

The jerseys will be worn in SPL matches to be played over the weekend of November 8-9. Remembrance Sunday falls on November 9 this year.

A spokeswoman for Poppyscotland, who used to be known as the Earl Haig Fund Scotland, said: "All the SPL clubs are involved and all their players will wear the special Scottish poppy which will greatly increase public awareness of the poppy appeal."

Last year, Hearts wore a special strip when they played a Remembrance Day match against Aberdeen at Tynecastle.

The decision was taken to honour the players of the legendary Hearts squad of season 1914-15, who died in World War I.

The club's entire first team squad had enlisted with the 16th Royal Scots, a battalion known as McCrae's Own.

Seven died in service. The strip worn by the Hearts players in 2007 had the names of the dead - John Allan, James Boyd, Duncan Currie, Ernest Ellis, Thomas Gracie, James Speedie and Harry Wattie - embroidered into the sleeve. The jersey also had a poppy on the chest.

Remembrance Day commemorates the sacrifices of members of the armed forces and of civilians since World War I.

Poppyscotland support war veterans and their dependants in Scotland. Last year the appeal raised a record s1.76million.

Timmy not happy.

IMG1208-1225281130.jpg

IMG1208-1225281369.jpg

http://www.<No links to this website>/news/editors-...86908-20849623/

EVERY SPL team will wear special Remembrance Day jerseys next week.

The tribute will take place after poppy appeal organisers wrote to the 12 clubs asking them to wear the one-off kit - and all agreed.

Some clubs will have a small red poppy woven in to team jerseys on the day. Others will make their own tribute with players sporting a stick-on poppy.

Referees, their assistants and fourth officials will also join in the tribute by wearing a poppy on their outfits.

The jerseys will be worn in SPL matches to be played over the weekend of November 8-9. Remembrance Sunday falls on November 9 this year.

A spokeswoman for Poppyscotland, who used to be known as the Earl Haig Fund Scotland, said: "All the SPL clubs are involved and all their players will wear the special Scottish poppy which will greatly increase public awareness of the poppy appeal."

Last year, Hearts wore a special strip when they played a Remembrance Day match against Aberdeen at Tynecastle.

The decision was taken to honour the players of the legendary Hearts squad of season 1914-15, who died in World War I.

The club's entire first team squad had enlisted with the 16th Royal Scots, a battalion known as McCrae's Own.

Seven died in service. The strip worn by the Hearts players in 2007 had the names of the dead - John Allan, James Boyd, Duncan Currie, Ernest Ellis, Thomas Gracie, James Speedie and Harry Wattie - embroidered into the sleeve. The jersey also had a poppy on the chest.

Remembrance Day commemorates the sacrifices of members of the armed forces and of civilians since World War I.

Poppyscotland support war veterans and their dependants in Scotland. Last year the appeal raised a record s1.76million.

this will annoy timmy :D

Were Rangers the only club to have them on the jersey last year?

"Last year, Hearts wore a special strip when they played a Remembrance Day match against Aberdeen at Tynecastle."

Killie also I'm pretty sure , as I recall from us playing them at Rugby Park around this time last year...

Thats really sad.

I know a good handful of decent celtic supporters but the ones like that are fannys hiding in ireland, behind their computer and typing shite.

Scummy pricks. :angry2: