Third Lanark

sendintank

Just stumbled across an old article abut Third Lanark,which got me wondering if anyone here has any memories of them,where they as good as i read or is that just nostalgia?It also said they had reformed and were playin at their old ground,is taht still the case?Just got me interested,i can sort of remember the name as a kid.

I've played at Cathkin( the pitch and sections of terracing are still there.

Local rumour says if you stand in the middle of the pitch at night you can hear the roar of the crowd.

Club was gone when I was born but I know it was formed out of the 3rd Lanark Rifles.

There are still affectionados who collect memorabilia of the club.

Goggle search would probably help.

Bit before my time to recall them playing but I remember in the late sixties and early seventies the bus park for Rangers supporters going to Hampden was there (Or more to the point outside it). Back then the terracing was still intact complete with crush barriers although all manner of weeds were growing.

The main stand was falling to pieces.

Interesting to note that Sirglugalot says the pitch and sections of terracing are still there. I would have thought it would be long gone.

Talking of bus parking I recall one Wednesday night Scottish cup final replay against the mhanks when some bus driver who had obviously arrived late decided to park at Cathkin Park. After the game of course the rancid tramps had to go back for their bus and ended up with a good hard kicking and their wheels home set on fire. No doubt the driver would have got sacked but would be kept in free beer for the rest of his life by appreciative blue noses.

the hi hi`s as they were nick named had a cracking team in the sixties.hilley,Harley and gray were top forwards for them as was their keeper wee jockie Robertson.rangers also signed their right back finlay macgillvrey one of the best full backs in Scotland at the time.i don`t think he got many games for our first team though!!!

My first games were at Cathkin Park to see the Hi Hi's. I used to get a lift over as I was only 11 at the time. Can't remember much about the football and our main aim as youngsters was to collect the empty ginger bottles at end of match to get 3d back on each bottle. (Pre-decimal) Used to be some good crowds in those days.

I attended Cathkin often - my Dad used to take me if we were away and Thirds were at home. At the time they were managed by George Young - one of my father's idols. A guy called Bill Hiddleston then took over the club and Young resigned, citing that if Hiddleston was in charge the club would not go forward. They did go on the slippery slope. Hiddleston then brought in a guy call James Reilly, who if I recall correctly was a JP. Given his background and the bad form, crowds dwindled. Thirds were mainly backed by Rangers fans as their second team. You can see the real demise when Reilly came in. I think he was later jailed for fraud and Hiddleston then took over gain. The club never recovered. That is all from memory. I think the team around that time was:

Robertson

McGillvary

Left back to left half cant remember

Goodfellow

Hilley

Harley

Gray

McInnes

They were a good side

Sadly they were gone before i started attending matches regularly, but as a football fan I love all the sentiment and tradition involved, and have picked up on a few members on here's memories too.

They were league winners, cup winners and even made european appearances as recently as the sixties but unfortunately it seems they were victims of one man's greed and corrruption (the owner) and were forced in to liquidation by the football authorities (sound familiar ?).

I've played at Cathkin( the pitch and sections of terracing are still there.

Local rumour says if you stand in the middle of the pitch at night you can hear the roar of the crowd.

Club was gone when I was born but I know it was formed out of the 3rd Lanark Rifles.

There are still affectionados who collect memorabilia of the club.

Goggle search would probably help.

I did a bit of googling,got me even more intrigued.Do you know if they play at Cathkin now?im up for the QOS game next month,may pop over to cathkin for a quick look,love the nostalgia here.

Never saw the Thirds but do remember as a youngster in the early to mid 60s attending a cup final at Cathkin Park between Cambuslang Rangers and Glencairn. I have vague memories of the pre-match scene being like a story from The Broons with fans wearing top hats with their team colours and using ricketies.

There was talk of Thirds moving to East Kilbride in the early 60s which was probably a missed opportunity. Their proposed home, the old Kelvin Road Stadium in EK (now long gone), had great potential.

Depending on where, Rangers were playing my Granddad took me and my elder brother to either Shawfield or Cathkin Park. My Granddad's younger brother played for both the Thirds and Spiders before WW1.

I can remember we used to walk along Caledonia Rd,turn on to Crown Street, with a quick visit to the Hi Hi Bar then a stretch of the legs and a brisk donder up Cathcart Rd.

The last match that I can vaguely remember was against Clyde, if my memory serves me well, there was a fairly large crowd as Clyde were having a great season.

The thing that sticks in my mind the most is the stream of both sets of fans walking back along Cathcart Rd after the game through a Glasgow that's long since gone!

I did a bit of googling,got me even more intrigued.Do you know if they play at Cathkin now?im up for the QOS game next month,may pop over to cathkin for a quick look,love the nostalgia here.

Think its just a public park now.

Only sections of the old terracing remain

Its a 5 minute walk from Crosshill Station if you wish to pay a visit

As has been said already , terracing is still there ,obviously along with the pitch ,although heard a couple of year ago that the changing rooms are now emblazoned with septic memorabilia all over the shop and jimmy johnstone boys club use the place as their home ground ,for all ages , also that williie haaawhee owns it all :anguish:

As has been said already , terracing is still there ,obviously along with the pitch ,although heard a couple of year ago that the changing rooms are now emblazoned with septic memorabilia all over the shop and jimmy johnstone boys club use the place as their home ground ,for all ages , also that williie haaawhee owns it all :anguish:

There are no changing rooms there....unless you mean the wee cathkin club building...it was a youth club type place but ithinkit has lain empty for a few years

There are no changing rooms there....unless you mean the wee cathkin club building...it was a youth club type place but ithinkit has lain empty for a few years

Aye that's what I mean ,the wee old youth club building , At least up to last season jimmy johnstone football academy were using that as changing rooms

Really sad story and the ghost stadium is a right sad sight.

I suppose it did sort of benefit us a bit. We gained a fair few fans after their demise. I have in-law family from the Southside that used to be Third Lanark fans, and switched to us after they went under.

Run into the ground by pricks. Best wishes to the amateur club.

Took a stoat up there with one of my pals one night and ended up getting steaming in what's left of the ground.

If you want to see it, go soon as it won't be there much longer. There are trees growing out the old terrace. It's eerie as hell, and quite sad. It's a must visit for anyone who loves football. I can confirm that you can hear the singing from the centre circle.

Magic place, especially in the dark.

Took a stoat up there with one of my pals one night and ended up getting steaming in what's left of the ground.

If you want to see it, go soon as it won't be there much longer. There are trees growing out the old terrace. It's eerie as hell, and quite sad. It's a must visit for anyone who loves football. I can confirm that you can hear the singing from the centre circle.

Magic place, especially in the dark.

Had a few cargos up there myself as I stayed pretty local to it..hearing the singing is just a local legend as far as I know.

Great to read so many fantastic posts about the HiHi here.

As has been mentioned a reformed Amateur team play - at present sitting top of the division they play in the West of Scotland league.

Several youth teams are to be launched - under 5s, under 7's, under 10's and under 11's which will start playing at begining of 2016 when the respective leagues for the youth teams start. All will play under the proud Third Lanark name and its important that the proud name attracts a young generation rather than just being famous to older football fans.

As for Cathkin park a number of plans are being worked on to get a lease for the ground, hopefully at some point (2017 would be 50th year of Thirds last senior game) a Third Lanark team playing in the Junior leagues with a youth football academy based there.

Here is the website with links to their Third Lanark twitter and facebook pages http://www.third-lanark.com/thirds.html

Please feel free to pass onto anyone who may be interested as well.

Again fantastic to read Gers fans great memories of the HiHi

• 3 weeks later...