Automatic contract extension for McGregor?

Ibroxblue

Why?

Instead of offering a 2 year deal, we added a clause to activate the second year. Seems a fairly smart, responsible clause for a player that has struggled with injuries in the past.

What if his injury problems come back after the extension has been triggered?

I'd rather wait until the end of the season, I doubt we'll have loads of other clubs fighting to sign Darren McGregor.

What if his injury problems come back after the extension has been triggered?

I'd rather wait until the end of the season, I doubt we'll have loads of other clubs fighting to sign Darren McGregor.

What if an egg explodes in his face and he goes blind? Why not offer every single player a 1 year deal so if they ever get injured we can just get rid? :rolleyes:

Plenty things to be concerned about, putting a clause in a players contract that rewards appearances is not one. If he plays over 50% of the games he will obviously be playing well, being a big part of the squad, so 1 year extension is fair enough in my eyes.

What if an egg explodes in his face and he goes blind? Why not offer every single player a 1 year deal so if they ever get injured we can just get rid? :rolleyes:

Plenty things to be concerned about, putting a clause in a players contract that rewards appearances is not one. If he plays over 50% of the games he will obviously be playing well, being a big part of the squad, so 1 year extension is fair enough in my eyes.

Not obviously, McCulloch's been a regular start for years after hardly playing well for years.

In our position and with our manager's track record on signings I would be more comfortable with 1 year deals generally.

Not obviously, McCulloch's been a regular start for years after hardly playing well for years.

In our position and with our manager's track record on signings I would be more comfortable with 1 year deals generally.

That's no way to run a successful football club, but each to their own.

I don't know but I do know we've had plenty of situations where shite and/or injury prone players are tied down to contracts and we have to pay them for basically doing nothing.

Exactly. This is 1 year contract with the opportunity of a 1 year extension, not a 4 year deal with the option for a 1 year extension.

Exactly. This is 1 year contract with the opportunity of a 1 year extension, not a 4 year deal with the option for a 1 year extension.

1 year's wasted wages is hardly acceptable either.

Perhaps McGregor won't end up a waste, i'd just personally rather he didn't have a clause that activated an extension so soon.

1 year's wasted wages is hardly acceptable either.

Perhaps McGregor won't end up a waste, i'd just personally rather he didn't have a clause that activated an extension so soon.

Look at Macleod. He's been injured for a huge amount time in just over 2 seasons. Should his next deal be a 1 year deal because of the risk?

It seems a sensible clause to me though it obviously can't cut out the risk completely.

Same with me and something Ally has done that is sensible ;-), especially with his injury history....but with any player you just dont know whats going to happen in the future - a bit extreme but did you see the Indian footballer who DIED after a goal celebration freak accident?

Look at Macleod. He's been injured for a huge amount time in just over 2 seasons. Should his next deal be a 1 year deal because of the risk?

If he's still looking injury prone at the end of his current long deal i'd say probably, he seems to be managing ok this season though.