Burley attempts to talk Hamilton's McCarthy around

http://www.sundaymail.co.uk/sport-news/200...78057-20774889/

I just noticed this. Apologies if it's a repost. What do you think of this ?

Scotland boss George Burley looks to poach Accies starlet James McCarthy from Irish

Oct 5 2008

SCOTLAND have made a move to steal James McCarthy from the Republic of Ireland.

MailSport can reveal the Hamilton hitkid has been assessed by George Burley who reckons the 17-year-old can go all the way.

And the Scots boss has ordered his backroom staff to pull out all the stops to land the midfielder.

McCarthy was born in Glasgow but opted to turn out for Ireland's Under-17 team last year after previous Scotland regimes had ignored him.

His grandfather was born in Donegal and he has since been capped at Under-18, Under-19 and Under-21 level.

But a player can switch allegiances up until his 21st birthday as long as he hasn't won a full cap.

And this loophole has led to the SFA talking with Accies boss Billy Reid to find out McCarthy's feelings on a switch.

Burley - who watched the player in Hamilton's 4-0 defeat by Celtic yesterday - and Scotland Under-21 boss Billy Stark want to meet him.

Both believe he could be playing for the full side before long but the SFA are awaiting news.

Landing McCarthy would be a major coup but the Irish - who saw Celtic's Aiden McGeady pick them ahead of Scotland - are desperate to keep him.

The youngster signed a three-year Hamilton deal in the summer but is being monitored by Celtic, Chelsea and Liverpool.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He won't be a big loss to Scotland.

He's like the Scottish/Irish version of Tom Soares. He gets far more praise than he should purely because of his age.

James McArthur is the real gem at Hamilton.

Guest Andypendek

How does that happen? Coz we never asked him to play for us!! What would YOU say, if for example your grandpa was from Belfast and they asked you to turn out? You'd wait for 5 years, would you, in the hope Scotland would ask you and all the while praying you don't get injured or play under a rubbish manager?

All this Ireland pish...time to move on.

he dosent want to wait to be asked to play for country of his birth so feck him

country is same as club if player dosent want to play then feck him just like mcculloch who is he to say i want to stop playing for my country

he should feel lucky they still want him cause the majority of rangers fans dont even want him in our squad

As a Scotland fan I ONLY want people who consider themselves Scottish to be playing for our country. Non of this "well my granny is Scottish" pish. Its fine if you're born outside Scotland, if you feel Scottish then great. That wee shite clearly does not consider himself Scottish so he can break a leg playing for Ireland, or two ^_^

As a Scotland fan I ONLY want people who consider themselves Scottish to be playing for our country. Non of this "well my granny is Scottish" pish. Its fine if you're born outside Scotland, if you feel Scottish then great. That wee shite clearly does not consider himself Scottish so he can break a leg playing for Ireland, or two ^_^

(tu)

I include James Morrison in that too.

Right, first of all, the opening line "SCOTLAND have made a move to steal James McCarthy from the Republic of Ireland" is a fucking joke. The cunt is scottish, if anyone is doing the "stealing" its those fuckers from across the water. Secondly, hes already said he wont change his mind, so its just pointless. Too little too late.

I already hate him, so while it would be good to have a player being tracked by several massive european teams be classed as Scottish, I could never enjoy watching him play for MY Scotland.

Fuck him and the rest of the Plastic Paddys in Scotland. Fuck off.

How does that happen? Coz we never asked him to play for us!! What would YOU say, if for example your grandpa was from Belfast and they asked you to turn out? You'd wait for 5 years, would you, in the hope Scotland would ask you and all the while praying you don't get injured or play under a rubbish manager?

All this Ireland pish...time to move on.

Andy, I do (did) have a Gran from N.I, though she moved to Scotland as a young child apparently, so her accent was Scottish.

I can say hand on heart, if I were 17 and approached by N.I. I would have to say no, flattering though it would be.

I love N.I. as a place and great people over there, but I would feel no allegiance to them in terms of hypothetically playing football for them. It would mean nothing to me, and that would be cheating the N.I. fans, as well as lying to myself.

That would be the same if she had been born in Germany, Italy, Spain or anywhere else, it just wouldn't be for me.

If someone else felt differently and chose to play for a country not of their birth and where they were raised, thats their choice.

As far as Scotland are concerned, I've only ever wanted players who genuinley wanted to play for Scotland, even if that means having players who are not the best, and there's a few of them :lol:

But to me the important thing is that their heart is in it.

I can understand why the kid was frustrated not being given a chance for Scotland he turned to someone who was willing to give him a chance. He was born in Scotland sure but he has strong Irish roots so it's his choice. I think he should be given the option now though and if he chooses Ireland then so long and good riddance but if he chooses Scotland then I'll support him.

If I were a professional footballer I'd want to play for my country of birth Scotland but if I wasn't going to get a chance with them I'd have to seriously consider playing for the country that I've lived most of my life, Australia.

I can understand why the kid was frustrated not being given a chance for Scotland he turned to someone who was willing to give him a chance. He was born in Scotland sure but he has strong Irish roots so it's his choice. I think he should be given the option now though and if he chooses Ireland then so long and good riddance but if he chooses Scotland then I'll support him.

If I were a professional footballer I'd want to play for my country of birth Scotland but if I wasn't going to get a chance with them I'd have to seriously consider playing for the country that I've lived most of my life, Australia.

I think thats fair comment brissy (tu) Different though from the boy above I feel, as you have lived most of your life there and know the culture and history of Australia.

I think thats fair comment brissy (tu) Different though from the boy above I feel, as you have lived most of your life there and know the culture and history of Australia.

That's true it is a slightly different situation since this kid hasn't lived in Ireland but the connections are there. I really think this problem goes hand in hand with the Rangers supporters playing for Celtic argument. People are upset about so called Rangers fans joining Celtic and saying they have no integrity and this would never of happened before football came all about big business and money (despite the fact from memory Kenny Dalglish supported Rangers and joined Celtic long before football became big business). The thing is though footballers now have less sentimental attachment to things like clubs or nations and they want to play as much football as possible, win as much as possible and get a ton of money while doing it. I'm not saying that's good, I'm just saying it's the way it is. So it comes as absolutely no surprise to me that when a young talent has been ignored by his own nation and another comes knocking giving him the opportunity to play he seized it. He was never given the chance with Scotland and now Burley is trying we will be able to see if his first choice is really Scotland or Ireland.

I thought nowadays a lot of Rep. Ireland can't be arsed with Celtic?

I believe that's true JM. There was a brilliant article from the Irish Times (I think) a while back about it.

Someone might have it to hand.

Many hate how Timmy has effectively hijacked their national flag and abused it in terms of painting slogans (you know the ones I mean) on them, as it rubs off very badly on the RoI as a country as the world looks on and sees these hideous flags flown.

It misleads people in general.

The funny thing is, Timmy actually believes the people of the RoI love them.

Some will, but many find them a complete embarrassment, and I've met plenty down the years and discussed this exact issue with them.

THAT IS FACT, TIMMY LURKERS - FACE IT

Guest Andypendek

It's certainly annoying seeing good players who should be Scottish playing for others but I think we're overreacting a bit.

Coops I felt the same way when we did our 'quintessentially British' display last year - when you say the tims are deluded thinking Ireland loves them, I have to admit I think we're as bad with our British fixation. I doubt if many Englanders are bothered one way or the other about us to be blunt.