Burley attempts to talk Hamilton's McCarthy around

As a Scotland fan, i hope McCarthy decides to play for Scotland!

Well it's rubbish like this that puts so many of us off Scotland.

I will not feel represented by any side that contains this bastard.

Why doesn't he just go home?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's certainly annoying seeing good players who should be Scottish playing for others but I think we're overreacting a bit.

Coops I felt the same way when we did our 'quintessentially British' display last year - when you say the tims are deluded thinking Ireland loves them, I have to admit I think we're as bad with our British fixation. I doubt if many Englanders are bothered one way or the other about us to be blunt.

I don't get the point?

Is our Britishness dependent on English people's opinions?

Come on though, hes young and impressionable especially when he he was asked by his grandfather on his deathbed to play for the ROI. He is the victim of emotional blackmail IMO. He seems a decent player and given our relatively shallow pool of talent we need all the good players we can get.

Come on though, hes young and impressionable especially when he he was asked by his grandfather on his deathbed to play for the ROI. He is the victim of emotional blackmail IMO. He seems a decent player and given our relatively shallow pool of talent we need all the good players we can get.

You could make the baby jesus cry with such stories.

This is about the best players playing for SCOTLAND!!!

McCarthy is in that bracket, if he plays for Scotland then as a Scotland fan he'll get full backing from me.

McCarthy is in that bracket, if he plays for Scotland then as a Scotland fan he'll get full backing from me.

it is about who REPRESENTS Scotland :rolleyes:

And you have my opinion.

James McCarthy has the potential to be the next Steven Gerrard. His movement, passing and energy are first class. If he improves his shooting and bulks up with age, then he would be better than any midfielder playing in Scotland IMO.

Anyway, I was of the opinion that most Rangers fans didn't give a fuck about Scotland, so what does it really matter?

it is about who REPRESENTS Scotland :rolleyes:

And you have my opinion.

McCarthy was Born in Scotland, raised in Scotland so they is nothing stopping him playing for Scotland!

Or is it no Catholics should be allowed to represent Scotland?

At international level it's a clean slate, and i only want the best players from any background at thats my opinion.

Why bring religion into it?

You sound like a bigot.

Well you started it :lol:

Explain?

You sound like a bigot.

Explain?

If McCarthy had played for any other country, we wouldn't be having this disagreement <_<

You sound like a bigot.

Explain?

If McCarthy had played for any other country, we wouldn't be having this disagreement <_<

Really?

You introduce religion then make a thinly veiled accusation of bigotry.

Then 'justify' it with a completely unfounded assertion?

At least me pointing out that you sound like a bigot was based on your introduction of religion to the thread.

Yours is based on nothing and should be withdrawn.

You sound like a bigot.

Explain?

Really?

You introduce religion then make a thinly veiled accusation of bigotry.

Then 'justify' it with a completely unfounded assertion?

At least me pointing out that you sound like a bigot was based on your introduction of religion to the thread.

Yours is based on nothing and should be withdrawn.

Manticore your getting on your high horse a tiny bit, but if you didn't mean it in that way then i apologize.

Nice dodge of the question i asked though... if McCarthy had played for any other country would we be having this Disagreement?

Manticore your getting on your high horse a tiny bit, but if you didn't mean it that way then i apologize.

Nice dodge of the question i asked though... if McCarthy had played for any other country would we be having this Disagreement?

Tsk tsk,

If McCarthy had played for any other country, we wouldn't be having this disagreement
is not a question, so it is hardly a 'dodge' to not reply to it :rolleyes:

As to whether, if McCarthy had played for any other country we would we be having this disagreement, well all I can say is if somebody started a thread on the matter, and I had noticed it, and the facts were the same, I would have posted the same.

I know I'm old fashioned but choosing another Country over Scotland should rule you out of contention for me.

I know I'm swimming against the tide in that and many other matters, but things don't become right because they are popular.

Manticore your getting on your high horse a tiny bit, but if you didn't mean it that way then i apologize.

Tsk tsk,

If McCarthy had played for any other country, we wouldn't be having this disagreement
is not a question, so it is hardly a 'dodge' to not reply to it :rolleyes:

As to whether, if McCarthy had played for any other country we would we be having this disagreement, well all I can say is if somebody started a thread on the matter, and I had noticed it, and the facts were the same, I would have posted the same.

I know I'm old fashioned but choosing another Country over Scotland should rule you out of contention for me.

I know I'm swimming against the tide in that and many other matters, but things don't become right because they are popular.

I wouldn't say they are popular or right but the rule is there, just look at some of the players that have turned out for Scotland over the years.

One thing is for sure i would rather have McCarthy playing for Scotland than ROI!

I don't see your point. There are plenty of players for foreign national teams that play in the SPL. Should they all go home as well because they don't play for Scotland? Or is there a special rule that if you grew up in Scotland and choose another national team then you can't play in the SPL and must leave the country?

Trapattoni vows to keep McCarthy with Ireland

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/ho...icle1780573.ece

REPUBLIC OF IRELAND boss Giovanni Trapattoni has vowed to deny George Burley in the tug of war for wonderkid James McCarthy.

The legendary Italian is well aware of a late bid by Scotland gaffer Burley to grab the gifted 17-year-old back for the country of his birth.

And he revealed he is even considering handing a full cap to Hamilton midfield sensation McCarthy, 17, in a friendly witPoland at Croke Park on November 19 to finally settle the scrap for his allegiance.

Trap said: “We will see if he is Irish or Scottish — but I think he will play for Ireland.

“I haven’t spoken to him yet myself, but I will speak to him soon. I know he has two possibilities, Scotland and Ireland.

“I think he will choose Ireland and maybe he will play in the next friendly game.”

McCarthy — born in Glasgow but with an Irish grandfather — is free to decide which country he wants to play for until he turns 21, unless he earns a full cap before then.

The highly-rated youngster has been tracked by the biggest clubs in Britain over the last 12 months and also played for the Irish at Under-17, 18 and 19 levels.

He initially pledged himself to his adopted country because of a lack of interest from Scotland.

SFA chief executive Gordon Smith was alarmed by this and put the wheels in motion for a dramatic approach to make McCarthy change his mind.

Scotland boss Burley has also become convinced of the player’s worth, especially after some stunning displays in the SPL.

I don't see your point. There are plenty of players for foreign national teams that play in the SPL. Should they all go home as well because they don't play for Scotland? Or is there a special rule that if you grew up in Scotland and choose another national team then you can't play in the SPL and must leave the country?

The going home comment was a joke, although obviously a poor one :blush:

The going home comment was a joke, although obviously a poor one :blush:

Duly noted (tu)