English football £3bn in debt

MisterC

From the grauniad saying that drastic action may have to be taken as the debts of English clubs reaches a staggering amount. All bubbles burst in economic terms and looking at the situation English football clubs are in it is clear there is a great deal vulnerabilty especially in this economic climate.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/oc...s.premierleague

FA chief fears '£3bn' club debts

Lord Triesman on debt in football

By James Munro, Chris Whyatt & David Ornstein

BBC Sport at Stamford Bridge

Football Association chairman Lord Triesman believes the global credit crisis could pose a "terrible danger" to clubs dealing with spiralling debts.

Against the backdrop of such a volatile financial climate, Triesman estimates English clubs owe an estimated £3bn.

He told BBC Sport: "They're beginning to see the edge of the hurricane - the art is to get out of the path of it."

Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore rejected Triesman's concerns, arguing clubs' debts were manageable.

A worldwide banking crisis has led to a collapse in shares, fears of a recession and increasing costs for clubs having to repay or maintain huge debts - with Liverpool, Chelsea and Manchester United believed to account for a third of that £3bn debt.

At the weekend Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry admitted the club's planned £350m new stadium had been put on hold due to the current financial crisis, while West Ham are battling claims Iceland's second-biggest bank Landsbanki going into receivership will have a negative impact on the club.

The FA themselves know about all these things because they are one of the most indebted organisations in the world

Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore

Wall Street investment bank Lehman Brothers is another high-profile casualty of the crisis and Triesman fears a major club could suffer a similar fate.

"Did I have a genuine fear that Lehman Brothers would go bust?' I'd say, 'No I didn't'," said Triesman at the Leaders in Football conference at Stamford Bridge.

"What I know is we are in a very much more volatile position in which debt is not only a problem in terms of its volume, it's a problem because those who own the debt are themselves now often in serious problems. Your fate isn't in your own hands.

"I don't think anybody who is rational can look around this environment we are in and think they are immune.

"Football is obviously carrying a pretty large volume of debt. People will be making business judgements about whether it is sustainable or not, but it is carrying quite a large volume of debt.

"Those debts will either have to be paid or there will have to be a re-financing deal, and re-financing deals inevitably mean that you package up debt in smaller blocks as people try to minimise the risk.

"What we do know about loads of events in the credit crunch is that it becomes harder and harder to track who owns the debt or these packages of debt and how secure they are.

"We now have a position where it is very hard to track things. It is not transparent enough and we don't know, if we are able to track it, if the debt is held by people who are financially secure or not.

"And if all of these things go wrong I suppose it is not inconceivable that a great club, or a very small club, will come under pressures it has not seen before."

606: DEBATE

How big a problem is debt in football

Speaking later at the conference, Scudamore defended clubs' debt levels and took a swipe at the FA's own financial affairs.

"What's important is the level of indebtedness is proportionate to your income," said Scudamore.

"The last figures I saw was that indebtedness in professional football in this country was running at about £2.5-£2.6bn, which is about where current annual revenues are in football. So our ratio is about 1:1.

"The FA themselves know about all these things because they are one of the most indebted organisations in the world. Their Wembley debt is about £350m and they have a turnover of about £300m.

"Our clubs are all heavily regulated but they've also got directors and owners who will assess the level of risk of their overall debt. This is at the top of clubs agendas and I think they are managing it responsibly.

"The 92 names today are very similar to the 92 names of yesterday. They are very sustainable brands and that's the most important thing."

The BBC are running a story now, hope it does go belly up :lol:

Debt has pretty much always existed in football, all the banks need to see is a sustainable repayment plan and they are happy, aren't they ?

However, how some clubs survive is beyond me. I don't know enough about the subject to go into detail to be honest.

If we as a support boycotted away games for one season in the SPL it would put at least 4 clubs out of business, and down south is no different. It can't be viable if the stadiums are only a quarter full no matter what they are gettin off the telly, the directors will be creaming that money anyways ! :sherlock:

Being a watford fan and only being in the premiership twice i can say that the hype around is has faded. before people would be jumping for joy to see anyone from the big 4 at there club, now its just another saturday afternoon. The championship is so much better, thats why it is the 4th most watched league in the world

Being a watford fan and only being in the premiership twice i can say that the hype around is has faded. before people would be jumping for joy to see anyone from the big 4 at there club, now its just another saturday afternoon. The championship is so much better, thats why it is the 4th most watched league in the world

Your spot on mate, my brother-in-law was at the Chelsea/Villa game at the weekend and was disappointed, said it was shite. Villa really bad could have been 10-0 rather than 2-0. :sherlock:

I totally agree WR. Its a much more open league, a far more level playing field for all the clubs involved and in that way it has been a breath of fresh air. Plus it has a high standard of football.

I tend not to watch the EPL, I would rather watch a Championship game to be honest.

EPL-You only have to look at the empty seats to see its lost its allure

It's not long its allure. The prices have got stupid, that's all all. I pay £61 to sit in the East upper at Spurs, and it's a disgrace. When wage caps are brought in and ticket prices can come down as a result, then we may see every ground in the country full again week-in-week-out.

It's not long its allure. The prices have got stupid, that's all all. I pay £61 to sit in the East upper at Spurs, and it's a disgrace. When wage caps are brought in and ticket prices can come down as a result, then we may see every ground in the country full again week-in-week-out.

£61 ? Thats fucking crazy money <cr>

"If". On both counts.

£61 ? Thats fucking crazy money <cr>

Even the 'touts' are making a bomb.

My last Arsenal ticket cost me £100, brilliant seat though.