Haughey is surprise Scottish Cup sponsor

Haughey is surprise Scottish Cup sponsor

By Peter Jardine

Millionaire businessman Willie Haughey is the surprise benefactor behind the Scottish Cup’s new sponsorship.

The SFA have clinched a three-year, £3million agreement with the former Celtic director in a three-way partnership involving the Scottish Executive.

But the new name on the trophy’s ribbons will be not be Haughey’s City Refrigeration company.

Willie Haughey

Former Celtic and Livingston football club director Haughey

‘I have been in detailed discussions with the SFA over this and, yes, I have agreed to put up money to back the tournament,’ said Haughey.

‘They, in turn, are in talks with the Scottish Government and I don’t know what the Scottish Cup’s new name will be - that’s up to them.

‘It won’t be the City Refrigeration Cup, that’s for sure, because this isn’t about selling more fridges. I am simply trying to help out football at a number of levels with so many clubs involved in the tournament.’

SFA chief executive Gordon Smith and commercial manager David Kells have been working hard to fill the gap which was left when Tennent’s switched to the national team from the knockout trophy in 2007 after a 17-year partnership.

Kells and Haughey had previously worked together in upstairs roles at Celtic - and now the partnership has paid off for the Hampden blazers.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/...r.html?ITO=1490

£1 million a year: big wowee!

With the Scottish Executive being involved I guess it will be named the "Non Sectarian Cup" and we will not be allowed to play in the final.

No there won't even be a competition, it will just be handed over to the mhanky mob because they were treated unjustifiably.

Anythin this cunts touches stinks to high heaven !!! :sherlock:

. . from them ? Especially one prominent Glasgow businessman, not sure if businessman is the right word but however ! He's just purchased the ex st francis chapel in Cumberland Street that had been turned into a business centre after being used by franciscan monks for years, and no greed on this man's part no not him, no turning it into flats or houses. He's giving it back to the catholic church and the monks, awe zat no nice ? Now this is the same man that acquired the Church in Devon Street, you know the one used by the Orange Order as a club for years after an accomplice of his in the Glesga city cooncil gave him the nod that it would be up for grabs as they were gettin turfed out. Now he claimed he needed it for parking spaces for his offices even though they are some bit away. He is now in line for a £10 miliion pay out as the new road goes through there. This is the same benefactor of the poor who when you start work for his company you have to agree to pay £5 out of your wages to give to a charity of his choice, no cigar for guessing which ones ! As they say charity begins at home, especially ex celtic directors homes ! T.F.I.O