Scotland drop to 26th in Rankings, more places than any other country

http://www.theherald.co.uk/sport/headlines...in_rankings.php

Scotland drop to 26th in rankings

MARTIN McMILLAN October 09 2008

Scotland dropped more FIFA world ranking points than any other of the 207 nations this month, slipping 10 places to 26th overall.

George Burley's side dived down the rankings after their World Cup qualifier defeat in Macedonia, despite the 2-1 win in their next match against Iceland. The national team had reached a peak of 13th in the rankings exactly a year ago but lost 156 points after their dismal display in Skopje.

The Netherlands, who are in Scotland's World Cup qualifying group fell to fifth in the rankings, with Saturday's Hampden opponents Norway 39th, while Macedonia sit 46th and Iceland are in 103rd place.

Scotland are still a long way off their lowest point. They plummeted to 88th place in March 2005.

Spain, the European champions, extended their lead as the world's No.1 football nation, while Italy and Germany remain second and third respectively. Brazil climbed two places to No.4 overall, pushing Croatia down to sixth. Argentina remain in seventh.

Russia, after an impressive run in Austria and Switzerland this summer, broke into the top 10 at No.9, at the expense of fellow Euro 2008 semi-finalists Turkey, who dropped to No.13.

Cameroon continue to rise as the leading African nation, climbing two places to No.12, two places above England.

yeah that sounds about right coop

i reall cant see us ever getting to the top five

To be honest, sorry to say it but I think its downhill from here.

:ohmy:

Why dont you go and support France with that attitude Coops!

Cheese eating surrender monkey!

;)

yeah that sounds about right coop

i reall cant see us ever getting to the top five

To be honest, sorry to say it but I think its downhill from here.

:ohmy:

Why dont you go and support France with that attitude Coops!

Cheese eating surrender monkey!

;)

:lol: I just dont rate Burley that much.

They've also had a fair share of injuries, Ferguson and Hutton have been out, along with some other key players.

(tu) and a lot of players pulled out the friendlies, McManus, Ferguson and Hutton won't be fit for the Norway game either :( 3 decent players