McCarthy staying with the RoI

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/ho...icle1785557.ece

JAMES McCARTHY has revealed he snubbed Scotland because he didn’t want to be regarded as joke by fellow pros.

The Hamilton wonderkid rejected Scotland Under-21 boss Billy Stark’s bid to bring him into the fold to STAY with the Republic of Ireland.

McCarthy — who qualifies for Ireland through his Donegal-born grandfather — has spent all week soul-searching over his international future after the SFA made a dramatic bid to snatch him back.

But the 17-year-old told SunSport he could never jump ship.

He said: “I’m really flattered that Scotland were interested in me. It’s a huge compliment.

“The fact is I’d already made my decision. Ireland have been absolutely brilliant to me and my family and I couldn’t turn my back on them.

“I felt that if I had done, I would have embarrassed myself. All I want to do is play football — I don’t want to embarrass myself by always chopping and changing countries.”

SunSport can reveal the frantic FAI were terrified of losing McCarthy and Under-21 boss Don Given spent the last two days getting assurances from the teenager that he didn’t want to quit.

Accies boss Billy Reid admits Scotland have blundered by not landing him.

He said: “If Scotland had asked him first I’m sure he’d be playing for us right now. Unfortunately they didn’t, but I back his decision 100 per cent.”

It still amazes me.

Chris Iwellumo is born of Nigerian parents and says it was always his ambition to play for "MY country" as in Scotland.

But McCarthy and McGeady have 1 Irish grandparent and turn their back on Scotland to play for a foreign nation.

Maybe it's just me but that's more embarrassing than playing for the country of your birth when they come calling.

It still amazes me.

Chris Iwellumo is born of Nigerian parents and says it was always his ambition to play for "MY country" as in Scotland.

But McCarthy and McGeady have 1 Irish grandparent and turn their back on Scotland to play for a foreign nation.

Maybe it's just me but that's more embarrassing than playing for the country of your birth when they come calling.

(tu)

Guest Andypendek

We're really suffering because these pricks can't get it into their head that they are not Irish....if they were shite I wouldn't care, but this does my tits in. At least in 10 years time, the next generation won't be able to use this shitey excuse...they'll be Scottish whether they like or not, the little bastards.

We're really suffering because these pricks can't get it into their head that they are not Irish....if they were shite I wouldn't care, but this does my tits in. At least in 10 years time, the next generation won't be able to use this shitey excuse...they'll be Scottish whether they like or not, the little bastards.

Good point Andy, this shit will die out.

This kinda thing will happen until we get rid of non-denominational schooling I'm afraid.

It's fair (IMO) that McGeady done it. Scotland never actually made a move for him, instead turning him away because 'he was too small', and the ROI took a chance on him. He's a decent player at times and that really is Scotland's loss.

But this one is different. He's had the chance and said no.

His mind has been intoxicated by his timmy minded parents, there's no easy way to put it.

Wee scumbag, what is it with these people being brainwashed to hate their country of birth? He deserves all the abuse he is going to get but then will play the victim of bigotry card. Makes me sick it really does. I hope his career is one that is ended early by injury.

It still amazes me.

Only his dad is Nigerian, his mum is Scottish and he was born and brought up in Coatbridge.

This kinda thing will happen until we get rid of non-denominational schooling I'm afraid.

It's fair (IMO) that McGeady done it. Scotland never actually made a move for him, instead turning him away because 'he was too small', and the ROI took a chance on him. He's a decent player at times and that really is Scotland's loss.

His mind has been intoxicated by his timmy minded parents, there's no easy way to put it.

I'm sure I've read that McGeady didn't play for Scotland because Ra Sellick didn't let their players play for the Scottish Schools side...

I'm sure I've read that McGeady didn't play for Scotland because Ra Sellick didn't let their players play for the Scottish Schools side...

It's one of those things where we hear about 1000000 rumours coming out of Glasgow.

Who really knows.

Was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt if he choose Scotland!

But he can get to fuck with that other plastic paddy cunt :angry2:

Totlly agree, was willing to back him but now he can piss off. I'm still not bothered about ROI though win or lose doesn't make a difference to me. The lad better hope he can make it in another league though because he is going to get nothing but shit if he stays in Scotland.

Least we still have Fleck.

He can only develop as a footballer if he gets first team game time, which isn't looking likely at the moment!

That wee McCarthy mhank looks a very decent prospect, and by playing first team football every week, he will develop quicker than Fleck! Fleck needs game time, whether that be going out on loan to Motherwell, etc; or to a team in the championship. I really dont want to see his potential subside!

Least we still have Fleck.

He can only develop as a footballer if he gets first team game time, which isn't looking likely at the moment!

That wee McCarthy mhank looks a very decent prospect, and by playing first team football every week, he will develop quicker than Fleck! Fleck needs game time, whether that be going out on loan to Motherwell, etc; or to a team in the championship. I really dont want to see his potential subside!

Right, but they're both what... 17? Come ON. Players hit their peak when they're 23-24. McCarthy right now is OVERRATED and he's only in the press because he's a youngster who happens to be full of fight. Celtic would have snapped him up by now if they were really serious.

We all know McArthur is the real star of that team.