United Eye Palacios & Valencia

Wigan Athletic chairman Dave Whelan has claimed Manchester United are keeping an eye on midfielder Antonio Valencia.

Valencia joined the Latics on a permanent basis in January after spending time on loan at the club from Villarreal.

The Ecuador international has enjoyed an impressive start to the new season, netting twice in seven league starts.

And Whelan has suggested that Premier League champions United have been monitoring the 23-year-old's displays.

He said in the Wigan Observer: "We've got some fantastic young players here and we're going to get some clubs chasing them.

"That's football. If you're a professional footballer you want to win things, I understand that. We will keep them as long as we can.

"We have a good team and a great spirit. Steve Bruce has instilled belief. The goal from Valencia against Man City was stunning, I know Man United have been watching him

and

Steve Bruce has rubbished reports claiming a deal has been agreed for Wilson Palacios to join Manchester United.

Speculation has suggested that Wigan will sell the Honduras international to the Red Devils for £18million in January or at the end of the season.

Latics boss Bruce, who spent almost a decade at Old Trafford as a player, can understand why such rumours have surfaced.

Bruce accepts that it will become increasingly difficult to keep Palacios, who has produced a series of impressive displays this season.

However, he has insisted that no deal is in place for the 24-year-old to move on.

Bruce told the Wigan Evening Post: "I'm never going to be able to stop speculation like that as everyone knows my connections with United. But there is no deal done, I can tell you that.

"The way Wilson has been playing, he is going to attract the attention of other clubs.

"But certainly nothing is in place at Christmas or next summer."

The Palacios one hasn't benn confirmed, but it's been going around for a long time now so I wouldn't be suprised if it did have legs.

It's a hefty price, but Palacios would be an incredible signing for United. He is exactly the type of midfielder that they need and with better players around him there is no limit as to how far he can go.

Valencia has talent, but he's inconsistant at times and would struggle to dislodge Ronaldo, Tevez or Rooney IMO.

If Wigan lose Palacios, Valencia, Heskey & Zaki, who has said he is willing to keep his options open then it could be lights for them as a Premiership Club.

If Wigan lose Palacios, Valencia, Heskey & Zaki, who has said he is willing to keep his options open then it could be lights for them as a Premiership Club.

Good.

Good.

:rolleyes:

:):blush: