Reality check for the Ally Bashers...

Blue_Devil

Regardless of the style in which he has done so, AM has consistently won football matches unlike nearly any previous manager.

His win ratio of 73% is unrivalled over his more than 150 games (including a season in the top flight).

Walter Smith for example, who is considered one of our (and therefore Scottish Football's) most successful managers, had a win ratio of around 64%. Anyone who thinks that vast quantities of the football served wasn't turgid has a false memory. Blooding youth - non-existant. Yet his battles with Tommy Burns were characterised by 1 thing: a winning mentality. Celtic's way was pretty football. Our way was winning. On the European front Walter also fell at the first hurdle more often than he progressed. 92-93 will forever be one of the best seasons to be a Ranger's fan; but for every Leeds Utd there are far more AEAEK Athens or Levski Sofias.

Some context outside Rangers, the Arsenal 'Invisibles' had a win ratio of 68.5%. That is seen as one of the most successful football seasons in the history of the game.

Detractors will point out that AM has had the luxury of managing Scotland's greatest club in the lower divisions. There are similar scenarios to draw on. Juventus in Serie B following a 'technical' relegation: win ratio 66%. This was despite retaining players such as Buffon. Marseille in Fr Division 2 when relegated for match fixing: win ratio just 57%. OK, so they had to rely on Tony Cascarino banging in the goals, so they were always going to struggle!!

The point is, even elite players cannot deliver every week. As human beings, we have frailties. 60-70% is about the limit we can expect any team to win. In any division, with any manager.

Yes the style could be better but, just like his predessesor, it has been sacrificed for grinding out results.

Youth development, I am especially frustrated with this one but in reality AM has fielded more academy players than any Premier League era Old Firm managers.

AM has had virtually no money to spend. The wages have been splashed not to win these divisions but to guarantee winning these divisions. It could have been achieved on a lower budget but to do so would have introduced a greater risk of failure. No-one would want us to take that risk. It may be working for Hearts right now but they had few other options.

The journey back to the top has become painful. Our patience is running out and we are ready to get back into the top flight. The excitement of fresh opposition has long since worn off and we long to test ourselves against our biggest rivals.

AM has led this club through its toughest period. He has taken us 15 points clear of Celtic before the circus started and won more football matches than 100 years of statistics say he ought to.

Be very, very careful what you wish for. I remember the excitement when CW beat HMRC and got Duff and Phelps appointed. The men responsible for our current situation are not in the dug out. The sad fact is we cannot even be sure they are no longer involved in our club because we do not know who has been pulling the strings throughout. We do know AM has led us through that period with dignity and showing respect for others, even when they do no deserve it. Regardless of his wage that takes courage.

I remember a time when that was the Rangers way. Let's not walk away from AM until we have given him a chance to restore those glory days.

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regardless of the style in which he has done so, AM has consistently won football matches unlike nearly any previous manager.

His win ratio of 73% is unrivalled over his more than 150 games (including a season in the top flight).

Walter Smith for example, who is considered one of our (and therefore Scottish Football's) most successful managers, had a win ratio of around 64%. Anyone who thinks that vast quantities of the football served wasn't turgid has a false memory. Blooding youth - non-existant. Yet his battles with Tommy Burns were characterised by 1 thing: a winning mentality. Celtic's way was pretty football. Our way was winning. On the European front Walter also fell at the first hurdle more often than he progressed. 92-93 will forever be one of the best seasons to be a Ranger's fan; but for every Leeds Utd there are far more AEAEK Athens or Levski Sofias.

Some context outside Rangers, the Arsenal 'Invisibles' had a win ratio of 68.5%. That is seen as one of the most successful football seasons in the history of the game.

Detractors will point out that AM has had the luxury of managing Scotland's greatest club in the lower divisions. There are similar scenarios to draw on. Juventus in Serie B following a 'technical' relegation: win ratio 66%. This was despite retaining players such as Buffon. Marseille in Fr Division 2 when relegated for match fixing: win ratio just 57%. OK, so they had to rely on Tony Cascarino banging in the goals, so they were always going to struggle!!

The point is, even elite players cannot deliver every week. As human beings, we have frailties. 60-70% is about the limit we can expect any team to win. In any division, with any manager.

Yes the style could be better but, just like his predessesor, it has been sacrificed for grinding out results.

Youth development, I am especially frustrated with this one but in reality AM has fielded more academy players than any Premier League era Old Firm managers.

AM has had virtually no money to spend. The wages have been splashed not to win these divisions but to guarantee winning these divisions. It could have been achieved on a lower budget but to do so would have introduced a greater risk of failure. No-one would want us to take that risk. It may be working for Hearts right now but they had few other options.

The journey back to the top has become painful. Our patience is running out and we are ready to get back into the top flight. The excitement of fresh opposition has long since worn off and we long to test ourselves against our biggest rivals.

AM has led this club through its toughest period. He has taken us 15 points clear of Celtic before the circus started and won more football matches than 100 years of statistics say he ought to.

Be very, very careful what you wish for. I remember the excitement when CW beat HMRC and got Duff and Phelps appointed. The men responsible for our current situation are not in the dug out. The sad fact is we cannot even be sure they are no longer involved in our club because we do not know who has been pulling the strings throughout. We do know AM has led us through that period with dignity and showing respect for others, even when they do no deserve it. Regardless of his wage that takes courage.

I remember a time when that was the Rangers way. Let's not walk away from AM until we have given him a chance to restore those glory days.

doh doh doh doh doh Holy fuck..

His season in the top flight, where he ballsed up a significant lead against the taigs before all the shite kicked off? No bother.

A win ratio of such impressive proportions, but against part time shite as you yourself have highlighted. Oh, with a ridiculous wage bill at the same time.

Grinding out results. Like 1-1 at home to Alloa. Leaving us trailing behind Hertz. Not sure about you, but that's not the standards I've grown to know at Rangers.

We should be at the top of the pile. Not floundering trying to grip on to cunts at the top.

I've seen some appalling posts on here over the years but I have to say it takes some doing to deliver the worst. Well done

I read the first few lines and what load of pish. What other manger has played in the lower divisions??? None! Ffs no wonder we are a shadow of the club we once was. Medicore is not a thing Rangers should have i it's dna. Under Ally it is seemed good enough. The famous Glasgow Rangers will never be second to anyone even in the championship.

:lol:

Get a fucking grip.

The dud has been given the second highest budget in Scotland against pub teams in pish poor leagues yet he STILL fucks it up with endless embarrassing results and performances.

No matter how hard the wee ally brigade try to make out he's a good manager he will forever be remembered as the worst manager in our proud clubs history.

GTF McCoist because all you are doing is making us a laughing stock, take your pish jokes elsewhere.

I have a strong feeling that the OP is not one of us.

:shifty:

Seems the new Rangers way is to say folk are Catholics due to not agreeing with them....Sorry if thats not the case here but the past few weeks have shown this. So i'd suggest your a Rangers fan that mingles with Catholics???????

Im i right?

To many Rangers fans watch Chelsea, Barca & Real and expect the rangers to play the same.

While many fans wile disagree i ask those fans how many think it's a god given right that the Rangers beat every Scottish team no problem?

I watch Rangers, not the three clubs you named,and it is becoming torture. Our standard of play is atrocious and McCoist is the cause.

To many Rangers fans watch Chelsea, Barca & Real and expect the rangers to play the same.

While many fans while disagree i ask those fans how many think it's a god given right that the Rangers beat every Scottish team no problem?

Good. This thread was lacking delusion.

While many fans while disagree i ask those fans how many think it's a god given right that the Rangers beat every Scottish team no problem?

I never mentioned the OP's religion, I was casting doubt on him actually being a Bear. No honest Rangers fan could believe some of the stuff the OP posted. At best he is drunk or about 12.

Seems the new Rangers way is to say folk are Catholics due to not agreeing with them....Sorry if thats not the case here but the past few weeks have shown this. So i'd suggest your a Rangers fan that mingles with Catholics???????

Im i right?

JCD mentioned nothing about religion. Don't create an issue where there isn't one...