Belgrade derby this weekend

Mairosu

So the "eternal derby" gets another one this saturday (or maybe sunday, heck, I forgot).

We're looking like utter shit. Many things going bad at the club, starting from the fact we axed the coach already (Zdenek Zeman, no less), the whole board resigned, new board is not yet formed, and we're embroiled in a hooliganism scandal which has gone international. And, oh, for the first time in history of the club we bombed out of Europe in August. Chalk up a few domestic defeats and it's a fun time at Marakana nowadays.

Partizan, on the other side, going from strength to strength. Top of the league, no losses, pretty good in Europe, looking to qualify for UEFA stages. More quality in their side too. But they're historically shit @ Marakana (3 away league wins from 1979. on or something like that), and a simple loss can turn it around for us.

Here's to a good derby, no casualties on the terraces and our skipper Milijas putting a few past the b/w garbage...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So the "eternal derby" gets another one this saturday (or maybe sunday, heck, I forgot).

We're looking like utter shit. Many things going bad at the club, starting from the fact we axed the coach already (Zdenek Zeman, no less), the whole board resigned, new board is not yet formed, and we're embroiled in a hooliganism scandal which has gone international. And, oh, for the first time in history of the club we bombed out of Europe in August. Chalk up a few domestic defeats and it's a fun time at Marakana nowadays.

Partizan, on the other side, going from strength to strength. Top of the league, no losses, pretty good in Europe, looking to qualify for UEFA stages. More quality in their side too. But they're historically shit @ Marakana (3 away league wins from 1979. on or something like that), and a simple loss can turn it around for us.

Here's to a good derby, no casualties on the terraces and our skipper Milijas putting a few past the b/w garbage...

How many tix do the away fans get?

How many tix do the away fans get?

They get the whole south stand allotted to them. That's the hardcore section. So that's roughly...ahm...10-15 thousand ? I'm not sure on the capacity of the south stand.

North stand is Red Star hardcores, and east and west are neutrals. So normally, home side is slightly more favoured at Belgrade derby, because we allow (they reciprocate) a whole stand for them, and I guess east/west "neutrals" are mainly home fans.

:pipe: 'Ten people including six fans, three police officers and a security steward were injured in a fans riot after Belgrade derby on Saturday, reported local media.

The match between Serbia and Montenegro champions Red Star and league leaders Partizan was played accompanying with rival fans ripping plastic seats and pelting each other, and finished in fought running battles with riot police, according to Belgrade's B 92 radio.

A senior official of Belgrade's Anlave clinic said the fans and the steward had sustained minor injuries.

The game ended in a 1-1 draw and kept Partizan five points ahead of their bitter rivals in a two-horse title race with six matches remaining. '

makes OF derby look tame! How many fans are at the game?

Some great derby moments from over the years :

The mercurial Robert Prosinecki, my all-time favourite Red Star player, pulls of a wonder goal in 1990. derby

Dejan "il Genie" Savicevic nails a free kick so fast that you'll need double slo-mo to fully appreciate it...

Dragan "Pixie" Stojkovic gets one in ... from the corner kick !

Last year's 4-1 drubbing @ Marakana. Sadly, no audience due to FA's sanctions...notice Segundo Castillo who's now an Evertonian scoring the 2nd goal for us.

How's Ognjen Koroman doing at Red Star, Mairosu?

I know he didnt have the best of times at Pompey when he was on loan there, however, i thought he looked like Red Star's best player by quite a distance when we met last year.

I know he didnt have the best of times at Pompey when he was on loan there, however, i thought he looked like Red Star's best player by quite a distance when we met last year.

Quality-wise, he's our best player. Best used at right wing, however he can be even good as a left wing, or a 2nd striker dropping off.

As a character, however, he's an absolute jackass. And if you thought you had sectarian yobs at OF clashes, boy, you haven't seen our boy Koroman open his drainpipe...

Quality-wise, he's our best player. Best used at right wing, however he can be even good as a left wing, or a 2nd striker dropping off.

As a character, however, he's an absolute jackass. And if you thought you had sectarian yobs at OF clashes, boy, you haven't seen our boy Koroman open his drainpipe...

Haha! I actually remember Koroman winding up the Govan stand and getting boo'ed for the rest of the game. He didnt hold back on the tackles either.

As you say though, he's a talent.

Haha! I actually remember Koroman winding up the Govan stand and getting boo'ed for the rest of the game. He didnt hold back on the tackles either.

Koroman is a Bosnian Serb from Sarajevo, and he had the misfortune of being in the thick of it during the recent troubles. As a result, he's a lifelong Serbian orthodox extremist and a total, utter Muslim hater.

A ghastly rumour circulates that before the Serbia - Bosnia deciding qualifier for the world cup 2006, Koroman inquired from his people in Sarajevo which Bosnian Muslim lost relatives in the war. Then, during the match, as someone would tackle him or vice versa, he'd whisper to them "hey, how's your dead brother doing ?" or "hey, I loved banging your sister while she was still alive". This is from a very reliable source, and knowing the man, it's not too far-fetched either.

At Red Star, he has shown himself to be less than professional on many accounts - he openly undermined the board of directors by endorsing outside financial backers (long story), endless flirts with clubs abroad every transfer window, and some really questionable press statements had people thinking if his allegiances lie elsewhere. But alas, he's by far our most talented player, and he can still kick a football...still I'd love to get rid of him while he still has some value.

Europe knows RSB as Crvena zvezda, how do Red Star fans feel when they have to cover up part of their past to suit the West?

Unsure what you mean with this ?

Also, is Edgar any good?

Compared to the last year's Argentine striker Barcos...Edgar's gold. Still, he was a budget signing (or a loan even, I don't remember), and the most he'll get is this year. Not the best foreigner we had by a long stretch.

Red Star Belgrade have roots in communism which is obvious by your name. I grew up with RSB being called RSB, but it changed around 15 years ago to Crvena Zvezda all the time.

As if it's a cover up :shifty:

Guest Andypendek

I could be wrong but I think Crvena Zvezda means Red Star. Not up to Red Star fans if the West choose to call them a different name.

Red Star Belgrade have roots in communism which is obvious by your name. I grew up with RSB being called RSB, but it changed around 15 years ago to Crvena Zvezda all the time.

As if it's a cover up :shifty:

It's not a cover-up. Crvena Zvezda means Red Star in Serbian :D It changed due to UEFA regulations of recognizing home languages.

Nobody complains about this (Partizan, obviously, also has communist background in a name). As we sing in a chant "and if I die and go to heaven tonight, there will shine my red star bright" (free translation).

been there twice watching the gers the team in the nineties were awesome and the atomesphere in the stadium that day was brilliant 90,000 fanatics against 500 billy boys(at that time we hadnt capitulated to pc brigade) and two hours after red star had whipped us 3-0 they were still in there singing ,setting the terraces on fire and throwing everything at us but it was still one of those days i was glad to have been there

been there twice watching the gers the team in the nineties were awesome and the atomesphere in the stadium that day was brilliant 90,000 fanatics against 500 billy boys(at that time we hadnt capitulated to pc brigade) and two hours after red star had whipped us 3-0 they were still in there singing ,setting the terraces on fire and throwing everything at us but it was still one of those days i was glad to have been there

Prosinecki scored a wonder freekick off the post there. That was a good one. 1-1 at Ibrox return, if I'm not too much mistaken.

Prosinecki scored a wonder freekick off the post there. That was a good one. 1-1 at Ibrox return, if I'm not too much mistaken.

yes mate pancev was also a fantastic talent

did you not sell stankjovic or someone else previous to playing us that year

was the first goal not an own goal early after red star had missed about 5 chances

was one of the best performances ive seen away against the glasgow rangers

good luck on the weekend and keep us posted with the score (tu)

yes mate pancev was also a fantastic talent

Pancev was amazing. His technical skill was zip, he could not hold the ball up, he could not dribble and passing was inferior.

But fuck, he would be there every time when a goal was supposed to be scored. Absolute killer in the box, and to date, only Golden Boot winner from the Yugo/ex-Yugo leagues.

did you not sell stankjovic or someone else previous to playing us that year

Sold Stojkovic to Olympique de Marseille just before that year. Ironically, we would meet him back in the final. He refused to take a penalty against us.

was the first goal not an own goal early after red star had missed about 5 chances

was one of the best performances ive seen away against the glasgow rangers

Yeah. Own goal by John Brown I think.

The only goal for us in Glasgow was Darko Pancev on a volley shot from Prosinecki cross. That game is probably best remembered by Dika Stojanovic the keeper, who earned himself a concussion in some clash.

good luck on the weekend and keep us posted with the score (tu)

Shall do, thanks.

How come you're an Anderlecht-fan ?

Lived 7 years in Vloanders.

Hate Brugge eversince they whipped us 4-0 in UEFA cup 20 years ago. Worst childhood trauma of my life. Never could get too attached to AA Gent, so I went for the Mauves.

Ironically years after I would become friends with Jestrogol during my working tenure at Red Star. Man, what a character that is.