Paul Gascoigne - The Movie

OlegKuznetsov

The life of England legend Paul Gascoigne to be made into a film?

paul-gascoigne.jpg

© Getty Images

Tweet

By Danielle Joynson, Staff Reporter

Filed: Monday, December 15, 2014 at 12:02 UK

Last Updated: Tuesday, December 16, 2014 at 17:41 UK

A film is reportedly in the pipeline to tell the story of Paul Gascoigne's life.

Producers are believed to be keen to highlight the retired footballer's career and his lengthy battle with alcoholism.

According to the Daily Star, an initial contract has been signed and Game of Thrones star Sean Bean is wanted by Gascoigne himself to play him.

British actors including Danny Dyer and Jack O'Connell are among those being tipped to take on the role.

I'd like to think that this gives him a focus in at least the short term and helps him on the way, but we all know that it's all up to Paul.

Nonetheless, I'm sure we wish him well and I look forward to seeing this.

Sean Bean is 55 FFS!

I would love this to be a story that has a happy ending.

Was thinking he must be getting on a bit.

He'll be fucked at trying to do any of the actual physical stuff involved with actually playing, or rather pretending to.

Gazza imo is a lost cause, it's only a matter of time I'm afraid.

Not sure this would do anything to aid him either, if anything the fuss over the film...interviews and premiers would no doubt be a bad mix for him.

Hope you're wrong, but well, I hoped you were wrong about his mate, Ally, but really knew that you weren't.

Maybe the interest will keep him off the drink. Maybe the reminiscing will be bad for him.

Fingers crossed.

Would be a great movie. When he stayed in the Renfrewshire village a few mates from there told me at the time he would go into the local pub and him and five bellies would play pool with the guys. He would buy them drinks and crack away with them all night.He got to know the faces and once during the day stopped in his car when he saw one of the guys walking and gave him a lift up the road. An absolute superstar of a player and gentleman. To think of these prima donnas that wear the Rangers jersey nowadays.

Hope you're wrong, but well, I hoped you were wrong about his mate, Ally, but really knew that you weren't.

Maybe the interest will keep him off the drink. Maybe the reminiscing will be bad for him.

Fingers crossed.

It's heartbreaking seeing him one week looking that wee bit better then you pick up a paper and he's gne on a binge again.

I just think Gazza has done the lot in terms of getting sober, be it rehab multiple times, family interventions and even trying to get into football again.

Sadly the demon drink has a hold of him just like it had with past greats like Best. I just can't see a way out for him, of course I'm always hoping 'this is the chance he will take'.

As everyone says it's up to Paul now, no one else can do it for him.

Fingers crossed.

Would be a great movie. When he stayed in the Renfrewshire village a few mates from there told me at the time he would go into the local pub and him and five bellies would play pool with the guys. He would buy them drinks and crack away with them all night.He got to know the faces and once during the day stopped in his car when he saw one of the guys walking and gave him a lift up the road. An absolute superstar of a player and gentleman. To think of these prima donnas that wear the Rangers jersey nowadays.

I remember a story about a scum fan that verbally abused him as he was passing by. Later he saw the fan at a call box and surprised him close up.

The scummy tried to make a story out of it, but was corrected by his mates who pointed out that Gazza was perfectly friendly and just having a laugh with someone who tried to be a smart arse.

Actually, it might have been a scumette.

It's heartbreaking seeing him one week looking that wee bit better then you pick up a paper and he's gne on a binge again.

I just think Gazza has done the lot in terms of getting sober, be it rehab multiple times, family interventions and even trying to get into football again.

Sadly the demon drink has a hold of him just like it had with past greats like Best. I just can't see a way out for him, of course I'm always hoping 'this is the chance he will take'.

As everyone says it's up to Paul now, no one else can do it for him.

Fingers crossed.

I think you sum up how we all feel and think about him.

Gazza imo is a lost cause, it's only a matter of time I'm afraid.

Not sure this would do anything to aid him either, if anything the fuss over the film...interviews and premiers would no doubt be a bad mix for him.

Agreed. It's only a matter of time before the inevitable happens. Gazza can only help himself but hes had that many chances he's either not willing and/or capable.

Tragic waste.