Safe Standing.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See where your coming from. I'm an oldie who can remember 80,000 plus crowds at the stadium.

Positives were the fuckin noise we created, the togetherness and no stewards or police could get to you to tell you to behave or stop singing a certain song! Carry outs were the norm and the wine, whisky and beer flowed.

Negatives were the punters pissing on you and random punch ups between fellow Bears. Also, leaving the stadium was a nightmare. As a wee boy i always exited down stairway 13 with my Da. You always got your arms above your head and many times my feet never touched the ground from top to bottom. Seen guys with jackets ripped off and bollocks crushed on the railings. The disaster put paid to that and seating was deemed the way forward.

However, I agree the enclosure at Ibrox is made for standing and would be appropriate with adequate controls.

I think it will come and can't see any problems with it. But the 80,000 crowds are gone I'm afraid.

Dortmund can do it, why can't we?

I reckon if we had full safe standing for the next old firm game at Ibrox, we would be able to sell 90k tickets. Even if we had to give the taigs 15k tickets.

People would have no choice but to stand.

You'd have kids, the elderly, the disabled, some lazy bastards.

We'd be able to get a few more in, no doubt, but nowhere near capacity, it wouldn't work.

Why not? All the safe standing I've seen increase capacity. The taigs looked like the had the same set up as the German set up.

This is an old ITV article from 2011 but I think still relevant:

Explained: How safe standing would work in Scotland

19 December 2011 17:32 GMT

Rail seats at Hamburg folded back for standing use. Pic: ©Jon Darch

Scottish Premier League clubs have been given the green light to introduce safe standing sections at their stadiums.

Teams can now ask the SPL board to sanction a standing area at their ground, subject to further approval from the police and local authorities.

But just how different would the new areas be compared to the terracing of yesteryear?

Does this mean a return to old-style terracing?

No. The leagues chief executive, Neil Doncaster, says a particular form of safe standing currently used by eight top flight teams in Germany, known as rail seats, will be the permitted form of new-style terracing.

How do rail seats work?

Rail seats replace the current plastic seating in stadiums, with each chair having a high back which serves as a rail. Each seat folds up and is locked, with clubs able to unlock each chair when an all-seater arena is required, for example in European matches.

How much does it cost?

At present, one rail seat costs 100 euros (£84), compared to around £30 for each plastic seat currently used at grounds.

One argument made in favour of rail seats is the long-term cost benefit. Current plastic seating is prone to damage and may need replaced over time, whereas rail seating is seen as more durable.

Will it increase capacity?

Although there is provision in some German grounds for two fans to stand for each rail seat, owing to there being two steps between each seat, the SPLs chief executive says the pilot scheme will see one supporter occupy each rail seat space.

Are rail seats already used?

To comply with UEFA regulations in 2000, German clubs had to find an option to both satisfy the requirements of the governing body but also continue to meet their own supporters desire to stand at games.

Hannover 96, Werder Bremen, Stuttgart, Hoffenheim, Wolfsburg, Bayer Leverkusen and Hamburg all subsequently installed rail seats installed in their grounds.

At Hoffenheims Rhein-Neckar-Arena, which opened in 2009, 9,150 places in the 30,150 capacity stadium are reserved for standing.

The Germans believe standing is the natural way to watch football, Jon Darch of the Safe Standing Roadshow told STV.

Going forward, for a modern solution for appropriate accommodation for fans, rail seats are, in my mind, the only solution, certainly at least for clubs with aspirations to play in UEFA competitions.

Are they safe?

Although argument rages over whether any form of standing can be completely safe as opposed to seating, those in favour of the technology insist there is no evidence to argue the use of rail seats is more dangerous or safer than seating.

What if my team plays in European competition?

To comply with UEFA guidelines on all-seater grounds in the Champions League and Europa League, each rail seat can be unlocked by stadium staff prior to games to create a folding chair, removing the standing section without affecting the overall capacity.

Can they be installed in every stadium?

Cost aside, the installation of rail seats largely depends on the gradient of the stand in which they are being installed. In German grounds, some clubs use two step rail seats on lower tiers but, due to a steeper gradient, upper tiers are normally resticted to one occupant.

Are there any clubs interested?

Celtic themselves have viewed the option, having been visited by the Safe Standing Roadshow as part of the clubs own feasibility study.

Are there Scottish clubs opposed to the plans?

St Mirren chairman Stewart Gilmour doesn't believe his own team's ground, opened in 2009, is built for safe standing. "Our ground is specifically designed for seating and the actual heights of the concourses are for seats," he told STV.

"They are not for standing. If you stand they will catch you on the knees and it is dangerous."

When might it be in operation?

"Potentially we can receive applications from the word go so in theory it could start as early as next season," SPL chief executive Doncaster said.

"But it's really up to the clubs. Our rules currently say that no safe-standing is allowed in SPL stadia, so that is at least one hurdle removed.

"There are several stadia where it just can't be done because of the architecture of the stadium but where clubs can look at and wish to do it, this is a step forward."

Would the SPLs promotion criteria over capacity change?

No. Every member club of the SPL would still require to have 6,000 seats to participate in the competition. The introduction of a safe standing section would be in addition to the capacity.

Just wonder if the cost to make The Stadium all standing would be cost prohibitive. Remember, back in the day Ibrox was a huge bowl with just the main stand seated. There are now safety rules which require exit times etc to be complied with. Don't forget, with standing you would have 15,000 - 20,000 people in each sector leaving at the same time. No waiting for people to shuffle along the seat rows as now. They all just go at the same time, so would need massive exit space to avoid crushing etc.

But, I would love to see every Bear have the chance to see and experience 80,000 at the 'Brox.

Maybe there is something in this to bring the real match day experience back for fans.

And, on another positive, you wouldn't have numptys shouting "sit fuckin doon, a canny see"...!!!

Good thought provoking post though.

I reckon if we had full safe standing for the next old firm game at Ibrox, we would be able to sell 90k tickets. Even if we had to give the taigs 15k tickets.

People would have no choice but to stand.

"People would have no choice but to stand" - what a stupid statement. We have a fair number of elderly and infirm fans who physically cannot stand for 90+ minutes - are they to be prevented going to the games because of their condition? I personally had mobility problems for a while (now thankfully fixed) and could not have gone had sitting not been an option - we must think of all fans before making such judgments.

"People would have no choice but to stand" - what a stupid statement. We have a fairy number of elderly and infirm fans who physically cannot stand for 90+ minutes - are they to be prevented going to the games because of their condition? I personally had mobility problems for a while (now thankfully fixed) and could not have gone had sitting not been an option - we must think of all fans before making such judgments.

Obviously there would be space for people that couldn't stand.

I covered that up earlier in the thread.

Just wonder if the cost to make The Stadium all standing would be cost prohibitive. Remember, back in the day Ibrox was a huge bowl with just the main stand seated. There are now safety rules which require exit times etc to be complied with. Don't forget, with standing you would have 15,000 - 20,000 people in each sector leaving at the same time. No waiting for people to shuffle along the seat rows as now. They all just go at the same time, so would need massive exit space to avoid crushing etc.

But, I would love to see every Bear have the chance to see and experience 80,000 at the 'Brox.

Maybe there is something in this to bring the real match day experience back for fans.

And, on another positive, you wouldn't have numptys shouting "sit fuckin doon, a canny see"...!!!

Good thought provoking post though.

If you have a look online (think there's even a bit on YouTube), you'll see the type of seats used still mean you do have to shuffle along to the end of each row to get out, so you'd still have the fans getting out just as they do now. Think you could do it with the east & west enclosures, but not you'd have to sort out season ticket holders who already sit there. They might not want to move & they might not want to stand.

The taigs got a standing section NOT a standing stadium. If it were to happen at Rangers it would only be a section and even at that I don't see the majority of our fans voting for it as they may loose their seat.

Entire stadiums will never be all-standing in this day and age, only sections following thorough and intense risk assessments, safety measures and so on.

Personally, I think a standing section at Ibrox would be ruined by the Union Weans.

The BF1 has been fairly secluded to those outside the group over the past few years, so it's never caused an issue, but try standing next to them at an away game.

14 year-old boys in Long Island jackets pulling smoke bombs out of their school bags, setting them off in the middle of the stand, then running away to the other side of the group to avoid being caught.

Fuck that.

I'd love to see standing again in the east enclosure. I couldn't see the match but the atmosphere and banter was brilliant.

A bit off topic, but if they were going to make changes to the stadium, I'd also move away fans into the west enclosure so they can't be seen by tv cameras.

I'd love to see standing again in the east enclosure. I couldn't see the match but the atmosphere and banter was brilliant.

A bit off topic, but if they were going to make changes to the stadium, I'd also move away fans into the west enclosure so they can't be seen by tv cameras.

I don't think they would put away fans below ours incase things got dropped on them.

Safe standing doesnt increase capacity, in some instances it reduces it. That said we should go for it as it will help atmosphere and I for one hate sitting at games.

But folk have the wrong idea if they think it will be 20,000 standing in Broomloan like back in the day with the terracing etc, most of the standing rails take up more room than a seat does

you can still sit with the safe standing. Obviously you would want to be at the front of a stand/tier though.

are you sure? Dortmund have the safe standing and I'm sure the seats are either secured for sitting on or not at all - I'm pretty sure they're not allowed the standing for certain fixtures (might be champions league matches).