Players Deserved Better - Ferguson

ONCE youve pulled on the Rangers jersey there are certain standards expected both as a player and as a person.

Say what you want about Kris Boyd, Richard Foster and Ian Black but its the club which has fallen short of the mark in the way they were all shown the door. They are all p***** off by Dave Kings demeaning comments in the press and I understand why theyve hit back at finding out they werent getting new deals only by reading the newspapers. Someone such as Boyd, who gave a lot of service to Rangers, should have been contacted personally.

I watched Blacks interview on TV and understood exactly where he was coming from. Hes been at Rangers for three seasons so is naturally disappointed to have been freed. Foster is also upset and its difficult to argue with either of their complaints as theres a lack of class about their exits. People will debate how well they did and what contribution they made but thats not the issue.

The club have said the players were invited to a bash in the Thornton Suite which was a chance to say their farewells and get a thank-you for their services but that said, they shouldnt have been left to read about their futures in newspapers. The club should have contacted them it required professionalism. Circumstances at the club were partly to blame. There wasnt a manager in place and had there been, Im sure it would have been handled differently. The players contracts expired right after the play-off final against Motherwell and it was chaotic but its also no excuse for the way its been handled.

I know how difficult it is to tell players theyre not being kept on Ive had to tell guys at Clyde they are being released and its a horrible part of the job but it needs to be done. You need to talk to the boys and let them know whats happening. I told a lot of players they were being released last season but I did it with a few weeks to go and they continued to play.

It gave them time to get things sorted and it was right to give them the courtesy of being fully informed of what the future held. Someone from Rangers should have spoken with the boys who were being shown the door. Life moves on and its great to see my old Blackpool team-mate Andy Halliday on trial at Ibrox.

I signed Andy, I really liked him but hes the type of boy who will tell you where he wants to . I had him on the right and the left but I played him at left-back for the final five games of the season and he was my best player. Hes a lovely guy and great about the dressing room but the bottom line is he has bags of ability. Im surprised no one wanted to keep him in England. When I saw he was going to Rangers on trial I thought it was a no-brainer hed be a great signing.

He came to prominence when he scored in Bradfords 4-2 win over Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in January but I knew about him before then. I had him at Blackpool for three months and he was different class. I couldnt fault him but if theres one thing I would say then hes maybe too nice if there is such a thing. He worked his backside off for me and I think hed be a perfect fit, the fans would love him as hes a huge supporter of the club himself. Hes a fan first and a player second but a right good player at that.

I also played at Blackpool with Reece Wabara and hes also been brought in on trial. He arrived at Blackpool on loan from Manchester City and is a fit boy and a physical specimen. He didnt play often but that was due to niggling injuries. Hes a right-back to bombs up and down the touchline. He had a decent apprenticeship at a huge club so he knows the game and is more than capable of doing a job for Rangers. Mark Warburtons plan is starting to take shape. Danny Wilson and Rob Kiernan arent kids but they have a sell-on value despite the fact theyve been about.

The days of Rangers signing players who are going to go down in value are hopefully over. It looks as though Warburton is happy to go with a mix of players and the addition of John Eustace will add experience but its all about going with a younger generation with a few older heads supplementing them.Its quite clear Rangers wont be throwing money at rebuilding the squad. Ive said previously that its also a priority to invest in the infrastructure of the club.There is a lot of work required outwith the playing squad.

You dont need to look deep inside Ibrox or Murray Park to know they need a lot of money spent on them to get both facilities back to a good level. They have been left to rot for the past three to four years.Rangers also need to keep a careful watch on the purse strings. There wont be millions of pounds spent, thats for certain. I know Rangers fans expect big names to arrive, I have loads of pals who support the club and I know they have high demands which need to be looked at realistically. All of the money cant just be spent on the first team squad as there are other things which need to be sorted.

It will take time but they will get there.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Feck off Barry, when did you last pay to get into a Rangers game, unlike the fans, you made plenty from us so shut up.

3 examples

Black - shite for 3 years and too well paid

Foster - total shite and too well paid

Boyd - overpaid has been.

If they'd gone to the farewell bash as they should have, they could have been told goodbye.

When they were Rangers players, those in the media criticised them.

Now they're ex Rangers players, criticising the Club, those in the media laud them.

Their non-appearance at the event was typically unsurprising and hugely symbolic as they never turned up all season.

We've had plenty shite players who've been released but always found out from the club 1st. As shite as the players are its still the clubs position to tell these guys they weren't wanted, it's the same as when green automatically presumed Naismith et all would type over- I don't even think ally contacted the squad during that time either. Rangers f.c needs to rediscover the values that made us such a successful and classy club and hopefully Murray and king have learned from this episode

I agree with him. I think the club should have said something to the players, just because they were unprofessional, lazy, fuckers..... does not mean the club should act the same way.

We are better than that.

I agree with him. I think the club should have said something to the players, just because they were unprofessional, lazy, fuckers..... does not mean the club should act the same way.

We are better than that.

Thank fuck for some sense instead of the usual cliched ex-Rangers player attacks.

Thank fuck for some sense instead of the usual cliched ex-Rangers player attacks.

Barry has came out with some clangers in the press regarding us, and I have slated him each time.

I just think he is right this time. Even a broken clock........

We are better than that.

What you are saying contradicts Barry so you're not agreeing with him. The directors acting with class has fuck all to do with what those wage thieves deserve mate. The club deserves better from its employees.

We are better than that.

As it happens, I agree. Professionalism and dignity cost nothing.

I wouldn't run to the papers about it, though.