How We Nearly Got Iniesta On Loan

To be fair to McLeish he was pretty bold with some of his transfers/enquiries.

Managed to get the captains of PSG & Marseille to sign for us as well as Dado Prso the season after he had finished as the Champions League top scorer I believe on free transfers.

Plus even attempting to bring in guys like Messi and Iniesta is pretty audacious even if they were relatively unknown to US at the time I'm sure they had a reputation at least in Spain.

Also remember reading him in one of the papers, shortly before an international tournament a few years back now saying he had made an enquiry to Real Betis about Joaquin but cooled his interest when he was quoted close to £30m for him :lol:

To be fair to McLeish he was pretty bold with some of his transfers/enquiries.

Managed to get the captains of PSG & Marseille to sign for us as well as Dado Prso the season after he had finished as the Champions League top scorer I believe on free transfers.

I remember thinking how amazing it would be as, if I remember correctly, Hemdani, Pierre-Fanfan and Julien Rodriguez were all captains at Marseille, PSG and Monaco respectively. Didn't quite work out the way I had envisioned.

Great read in the OP, by the way - ta for posting - I only knew half of the story. Graham Hunter knows his stuff. (tu)

And he also has a couple of class tunes (Cash and SLF) on his Twitter. Good guy.

Interesting to note that due to Brian Laudrup rejecting Man Utd to join Chelsea, United then duked it out with Barca for two Portuguese Wunderkind.

United were free to sign Cristiano Ronaldo... After Barca decided to take Quaresma instead. doh

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/sport/football/stars-messi-and-ronaldo-almost-teamed-up-twice-1.790799