It Is All About Momentum

dummiesoot

Historically play-offs in any league tend to be won by teams that were on a roll before they started, Queens and Hibs both seem to be on the up, we on the other hand are really struggling, can anyone see us being successful? I haven't even mentioned the premiership team that will be in it.

Hibs and Queens have won a few on the bounce we haven't. Getting humped by Queens did not help either. Our last few matches have been poor.

We had won well up till queens who out the 3 are the better footballing side IMO. But it's pretty much eachy peachy form wise. Only hibs have won their last 3.

I doubt we will go up but then again you just can't second guess what our team will do

We had won well up till queens who out the 3 are the better footballing side IMO. But it's pretty much eachy peachy form wise. Only hibs have won their last 3.

I doubt we will go up but then again ryou just can't second guess what our team will do

Agreed we don't know which Rangers will turn up. All the teams in the mix tbh are shit, I just don't trust certain parts of this team to function sadly.

Sadly I don't think we are capable of beating QOS Hibs or Motherwell.

Hope to fuck I'm wrong.

I think all 3 championship sides are better than Motherwell from what I've seen.

What I will say is queens ain't far away from getting a crack at the prem. Whether that be this year or next

I think all 3 championship sides are better than Motherwell from what I've seen.

What I will say is queens ain't far away from getting a crack at the prem. Whether that be this year or next

They look like they could. Not a bad side by Scottish standards

Agreed we don't know which Rangers will turn up. All the teams in the mix tbh are shit, I just don't trust certain parts of this team to function sadly.

There are goals in the side, so it's a question of shoring up the defence and making sure that we've got some bite in midfield. In other words, we need to drop Jig and play 3-5-2, with Wallace, Zaliukas and McGregor as the back three. Shiels has got to start in midfield and Kenny Miller needs to drop to the bench.

Sadly I don't think we are capable of beating QOS Hibs or Motherwell.

Hope to fuck I'm wrong.

We have beaten them all whilst out of the divisions, all we have to do is nulify the QOS counterattack with 3 in the middle .. should be plain sailing.

There are goals in the side, so it's a question of shoring up the defence and making sure that we've got some bite in midfield. In other words, we need to drop Jig and play 3-5-2, with Wallace, Zaliukas and McGregor as the back three. Shiels has got to start in midfield and Kenny Miller needs to drop to the bench.

I have to agree with that summary.

Each of these teams has seen us play home and away this season with an approach that tried (and all too often failed) to take the game to them. We've been picked off by counter attacks and picked off by rank bad defending and picked off by not being competitive or quick enough in midfield. Each of these teams knows (or will believe) they can score against us home and away and score more than once. They know we have struggled to take goal scoring chances and our strikers are goal-shy. They are bound to be full of confidence about playing us.

Maybe its time to radically change our own approach to these games. Maybe its pack the defence time and let the opposition take the game to us home and away - play with a single striker - play with some pace in midfield to break quickly. First priority being to avoid conceding any goals and then to take the chances on the break. Changing the way other teams need to think about how the play us and how they adapt to that may in itself create chances for us. If McCall cannot get the team to play its way out of this by a more attack minded formation - and so far he is not succeeding well enough on this - then maybe the time is here for good old fashioned European game thinking of the first and primary priority being to stop the opposition scoring and then to hope you can take whatever chances present themselves.

If he decides to stick with the same types of approaches we have seen then its a near certainty we will lose goals but no certainty we will score enough at the other end to compensate. Whatever the formation the time fast approaches - after the next game in fact - when it must be hammered into defenders that defence means not conceding any goals and the margin for mistake is zero. And time for the strikers to face up to their responsibilities and put the ball into the fucking opposition net when the chances are presented. And time for the midfield to battle as they have never battled before to stop the opposition from playing and to create scoring chances. Oh, and no red cards either.

The next month goes a long way to defining McCall as a Manager. It goes a long way to defining the extent to which McCoist and McD as architects of this mess will be blamed in football history for driving Rangers to such low depths, depths worse than mediocre. It goes a long way to deciding which players stay on at Ibrox and which ones leave with or without their heads hung low in the shame of failure.

It probably also goes a long way to determining what line a Board takes for the future. How much money to invest and when. Who to pick as Manager for next season. How much can be afforded to bring in new players. What level of ST sales will be achieved on the back of the results. And - crucially - if its to be the Championship again next season - what the Rangers Men in the Boardroom will do to enable whoever they pick as Manager to assemble a team to win the league next season and avoid another play off lottery. Because if a Board gets these decisions wrong we could be in exactly the same place a year from now and a year beyond thant and so on. The fact that they are Rangers Men does not give them special powers to make the right decisions to get us back into the top flight. Just how ironic would that be? No pressure there Mr King and Mr Murray. They have the helm. It'll be up to them as they have a clear field with no opposition. They are where they wished to be but if Rangers is not in the top flight next season we - as a Support - will not be where we wish to be and it will be pay all over again in the hope that next season will be better.

But maybe it won't come to that if McCall can somehow get the team to deliver or if we just plain get lucky.