The Scottish FA Cup

Poetry_In_Blue

GORDON Smith has not given up on securing a sponsor for this season's Scottish Cup after revealing the lack of one last term cost the Scottish Football Association £1 million.

SFA chief executive Smith is running out of time to convince a backer to bankroll the competition before the first round gets underway. The draw takes place on Monday, with ties scheduled for the end of the month.

The Scottish Cup has been without a sponsor since Tennent's ended their 17-year association with the competition after the 2007 final. The SFA has had offers for the rights but none matching what it believes them to be worth.

"We're quite confident we're going to get a sponsor and it's just a case of working on it," said Smith during an interview for a documentary entitled Gordon Smith: From Player to Power, which is being broadcast by BBC1 Scotland tonight.

"It's hard economic times at the moment, it's not easy to get somebody just to come up with the money."

Done some digging: http://sport.scotsman.com/scottish-cup/SFA...cker.4461999.jp

England dont have a name either afaik they call it the FA cup. Their Carling cup is our co-op ins cup

FA Cup sponsored by EON.

Oh yeah, i forgot about that. Why did Tennents give it up and not renew the contract?

England dont have a name either afaik they call it the FA cup. Their Carling cup is our co-op ins cup

FA Cup sponsored by EON.

Oh yeah, i forgot about that. Why did Tennents give it up and not renew the contract?

I think they just wanted to move on.

GORDON Smith has not given up on securing a sponsor for this season's Scottish Cup after revealing the lack of one last term cost the Scottish Football Association £1 million.

SFA chief executive Smith is running out of time to convince a backer to bankroll the competition before the first round gets underway. The draw takes place on Monday, with ties scheduled for the end of the month.

The Scottish Cup has been without a sponsor since Tennent's ended their 17-year association with the competition after the 2007 final. The SFA has had offers for the rights but none matching what it believes them to be worth.

"We're quite confident we're going to get a sponsor and it's just a case of working on it," said Smith during an interview for a documentary entitled Gordon Smith: From Player to Power, which is being broadcast by BBC1 Scotland tonight.

"It's hard economic times at the moment, it's not easy to get somebody just to come up with the money."

Done some digging: http://sport.scotsman.com/scottish-cup/SFA...cker.4461999.jp

Sounds familiar - SPL/Sky. Times are tight, they should take a 1 year only offer if it's decent or they'll end up with nothing.

FA Cup sponsored by EON.

I think they just wanted to move on.

I'm sure it was because of the involvment with the national team instead