The original complainer gets his wet dream

OlegKuznetsov

This is what the man wanted- flawed evidence of non-persecution to distort. This is a laughable article.

Famine song complainer lives in fear

A Celtic fan who protested over the singing of an offensive football song says his family is in danger from Rangers supporters

undefined

The Celtic fan says he fears for his family's safety

Iain Harrison

A celtic fan who prompted a diplomatic incident between the Scottish and Irish governments by complaining about a football song mocking the potato famine, has said he fears for the safety of his family after being threatened by Rangers supporters. The father-of-three from Glasgow claims he has become the subject of vile sectarian abuse on internet message boards for fans of the Ibrox club.

One described him as “bitter, twisted, dirty and inbred” and suggested he should “f*** off back home to the old country”.

Another said: “How the f*** could one deluded maniac claiming to be “of Irish descent” cause so much trouble?” adding “Tims — stop moaning about Britain and singing IRA songs and we might stop wishing you’d all go home.”

The so-called Famine Song at the centre of the row has been sung by Rangers supporters at matches this season. To the tune of Sloop John B by the Beach Boys, it includes the lyrics: “Why don’t you go home, why don’t you go home, the famine is over, why don’t you go home.” The song was brought to the attention of the Celtic fan when his 12-year-old son returned home with a video, given to him by a classmate, featuring a rendition by Rangers supporters.

Related Links

The 46-year-old council worker, whom The Sunday Times has agreed not to name, heard the song being sung at an Old Firm match this month, and wrote a letter of complaint to the Irish consul-general in London. He has also reported it to the Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC).

The consul raised the matter with the Scottish government, resulting in Rangers FC issuing a statement warning its fans they risked arrest if they continue to sing the song.

While the Celtic fan, who is of Irish descent, has no regrets about taking action, he says he is living in fear about possible reprisals.

“The famine song is blatantly racist. People who indulge in it are making Scotland look ridiculous and they should be charged with racial hatred,” he said. “At the last Old Firm game, which I attended with two of my sons, thousands of Rangers fans sang the famine song. I was angry that my kids, who are 12 and 13, were exposed to this racist, hateful nonsense and I felt I had to do something about it, but I did not expect a diplomatic incident.

“People have written to newspapers and contacted phone-ins accusing me of political correctness and pettiness but this song goes beyond banter. It’s dangerous.”

A spokeswoman for the EHRC said: “We are very concerned about the offensive song currently being used by some Rangers supporters. Sectarian songs are clearly meant to inflame racial and religious prejudice and should be dealt with by the criminal law.”

A Rangers spokesman last night distanced the club from the remarks on fan websites. “The club does not condone any of the tit-for-tat exchanges and abuse that have been made on both sides of this debate,” he said. “But this is not a one way street. Only recently there was an incident on a fans’ website which included the address of a player and overt threats. It required police intervention, which is totally unacceptable.”

Strathclyde police said the force would take action if any complaints were made.

Northern Ireland’s sports minister Gregory Campbell, a Democratic Unionist MP, has written to Celtic chairman John Reid condemning Celtic fans for singing in favour of the IRA.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/s...icle4794938.ece

Shame the idiot never bothered to get his name removed from the original article on a Celtic site doh :

Famine Song - Irish Government now officially involved over racist Rangers fans.

By Barrioh

Saturday, 13th September 2008

Irish Government takes action and urges fans to contact Celtic, Rangers, the Scottish Government, MSP's, MP's and Police as anger gathers over 'Famine Song'.

The Consulate General of Ireland in Scotland has started a probe into the racist behaviour of Rangers fans at last weeks Glasgow derby match at Celtic Park. The offensive fans, known as 'huns' by followers of most other Scottish teams, have recently had to ditch their sectarian songbook following sanctions from UEFA. They have now replaced those songs of religious intolerance with an offensive anti-Irish piece mocking the victims of The Great Hunger which killed over one million people and caused another million to leave the land of their birth. The song is titled "The Famine is over, Why don't you go home" and a spokesman for the Irish Government confirmed that they had raised the matter with the Scottish Government.

Article continues below

Disgusted Celtic fans have waited in vain for some action to be taken against the racists but it seems that other than the Celtic fans themselves and one London-based Scottish journalist, no-one was interested in even acknowledging this shocking behaviour never mind condemning it. But now that the Irish government has become involved on an official level this will have to change.

Celtic fan Tommy Reilly, from Glasgow-Irish stock himself and thus a direct target of the hate-filled song, said "I wrote to the Irish Embassy in London to voice my concerns after the recent game against Rangers. I had gone with my two children, aged 12 and 13, and I was very disturbed by songs emanating from the Rangers end mocking the Irish famine. Given UEFA and the SFA policy in regard to racist chanting, and I understand that these chants were clearly audible during the TV coverage of the match, I was amazed that no action has been taken by the Police or Football authorities and in fact there had been no mention of it in the Scottish media at all"

"I am extremely concerned that by failing to act the authorities are allowing anti Irish sentiment to grow in Scotland" said Tommy "I wrote to the Irish Embassy in the hope that at some level the Irish Government could draw attention to this matter as I know a number of friends and family have the same concerns as myself"

Tommy is a Scot and he explained "Although I was born in Scotland I am of Irish descent - my grandfather emigrated to Scotland from Lurgan in 1916 and the rest of my family on both sides settled in Scotland around the time of the famine. Although I do consider myself Scots I am very proud of my Irish heritage and I have made a point of instilling this in my children. But when my 12 year old son was sent a you tube video with two adults performing a mime of 'the famine song' from a 12 year old Rangers supporting friend of his I was chilled. I felt something had to be done"

The Consulate General of Ireland in Scotland sent the following reply to Tommy and indicated that they had been contacted by a number of people about the incident and that they would be taking the matter further:

"Dear Mr Reilly,

My colleague at the Embassy of Ireland, London, forwarded your correspondence to us at the Consulate General of Ireland in Scotland. The Consulate has been contacted by a number of people following the match, and we have raised the matter with the Scottish Government.

When you have time, I would be interested in discussing the matter with you. My contact details are below. We would also recommend that you contact both Celtic and Rangers Football clubs, the Scottish Government including Minister for Community Safety Fergus Ewing, your local MSP and MP, and Strathclyde Police on these matters.

We would be interested to hear from you concerning any responses you receive.

Kind Regards,"

As we await further developments it will be interesting to see the reaction of the mainstream media in Scotland to this escalation of events. Just how will they explain that a matter they thought unworthy of reporting, or should I say a matter they actively suppressed, has suddenly become a matter of great concern to the Governments of two countries?

(N.B. Please note that the name 'Tommy Reilly' is a pseudonym for obvious reasons)

It couldn't have been a pseudonym if he's been targeted for it! They put that bit in after the times article.

:mutley:

Altogether now!

We know you're a fud!

We know you're a fu-u-ud!

Tommy Reilly!

We know you're a fud!

This is what the man wanted- flawed evidence of non-persecution to distort.

Famine song complainer lives in fear

A Celtic fan who protested over the singing of an offensive football song says his family is in danger from Rangers supporters

undefined

The Celtic fan says he fears for his family's safety

Iain Harrison

A celtic fan who prompted a diplomatic incident between the Scottish and Irish governments by complaining about a football song mocking the potato famine, has said he fears for the safety of his family after being threatened by Rangers supporters. The father-of-three from Glasgow claims he has become the subject of vile sectarian abuse on internet message boards for fans of the Ibrox club.

One described him as “bitter, twisted, dirty and inbred” and suggested he should “f*** off back home to the old country”.

Another said: “How the f*** could one deluded maniac claiming to be “of Irish descent” cause so much trouble?” adding “Tims — stop moaning about Britain and singing IRA songs and we might stop wishing you’d all go home.”

The so-called Famine Song at the centre of the row has been sung by Rangers supporters at matches this season. To the tune of Sloop John B by the Beach Boys, it includes the lyrics: “Why don’t you go home, why don’t you go home, the famine is over, why don’t you go home.” The song was brought to the attention of the Celtic fan when his 12-year-old son returned home with a video, given to him by a classmate, featuring a rendition by Rangers supporters.

Related Links

The 46-year-old council worker, whom The Sunday Times has agreed not to name, heard the song being sung at an Old Firm match this month, and wrote a letter of complaint to the Irish consul-general in London. He has also reported it to the Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC).

The consul raised the matter with the Scottish government, resulting in Rangers FC issuing a statement warning its fans they risked arrest if they continue to sing the song.

While the Celtic fan, who is of Irish descent, has no regrets about taking action, he says he is living in fear about possible reprisals.

“The famine song is blatantly racist. People who indulge in it are making Scotland look ridiculous and they should be charged with racial hatred,” he said. “At the last Old Firm game, which I attended with two of my sons, thousands of Rangers fans sang the famine song. I was angry that my kids, who are 12 and 13, were exposed to this racist, hateful nonsense and I felt I had to do something about it, but I did not expect a diplomatic incident.

“People have written to newspapers and contacted phone-ins accusing me of political correctness and pettiness but this song goes beyond banter. It’s dangerous.”

A spokeswoman for the EHRC said: “We are very concerned about the offensive song currently being used by some Rangers supporters. Sectarian songs are clearly meant to inflame racial and religious prejudice and should be dealt with by the criminal law.”

A Rangers spokesman last night distanced the club from the remarks on fan websites. “The club does not condone any of the tit-for-tat exchanges and abuse that have been made on both sides of this debate,” he said. “But this is not a one way street. Only recently there was an incident on a fans’ website which included the address of a player and overt threats. It required police intervention, which is totally unacceptable.”

Strathclyde police said the force would take action if any complaints were made.

Northern Ireland’s sports minister Gregory Campbell, a Democratic Unionist MP, has written to Celtic chairman John Reid condemning Celtic fans for singing in favour of the IRA.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/s...icle4794938.ece

Shame the idiot never bothered to get his name removed from the original article on a Celtic site doh :

Famine Song - Irish Government now officially involved over racist Rangers fans.

By Barrioh

Saturday, 13th September 2008

Irish Government takes action and urges fans to contact Celtic, Rangers, the Scottish Government, MSP's, MP's and Police as anger gathers over 'Famine Song'.

The Consulate General of Ireland in Scotland has started a probe into the racist behaviour of Rangers fans at last weeks Glasgow derby match at Celtic Park. The offensive fans, known as 'h***' by followers of most other Scottish teams, have recently had to ditch their sectarian songbook following sanctions from UEFA. They have now replaced those songs of religious intolerance with an offensive anti-Irish piece mocking the victims of The Great Hunger which killed over one million people and caused another million to leave the land of their birth. The song is titled "The Famine is over, Why don't you go home" and a spokesman for the Irish Government confirmed that they had raised the matter with the Scottish Government.

Article continues below

Disgusted Celtic fans have waited in vain for some action to be taken against the racists but it seems that other than the Celtic fans themselves and one London-based Scottish journalist, no-one was interested in even acknowledging this shocking behaviour never mind condemning it. But now that the Irish government has become involved on an official level this will have to change.

Celtic fan Tommy Reilly, from Glasgow-Irish stock himself and thus a direct target of the hate-filled song, said "I wrote to the Irish Embassy in London to voice my concerns after the recent game against Rangers. I had gone with my two children, aged 12 and 13, and I was very disturbed by songs emanating from the Rangers end mocking the Irish famine. Given UEFA and the SFA policy in regard to racist chanting, and I understand that these chants were clearly audible during the TV coverage of the match, I was amazed that no action has been taken by the Police or Football authorities and in fact there had been no mention of it in the Scottish media at all"

"I am extremely concerned that by failing to act the authorities are allowing anti Irish sentiment to grow in Scotland" said Tommy "I wrote to the Irish Embassy in the hope that at some level the Irish Government could draw attention to this matter as I know a number of friends and family have the same concerns as myself"

Tommy is a Scot and he explained "Although I was born in Scotland I am of Irish descent - my grandfather emigrated to Scotland from Lurgan in 1916 and the rest of my family on both sides settled in Scotland around the time of the famine. Although I do consider myself Scots I am very proud of my Irish heritage and I have made a point of instilling this in my children. But when my 12 year old son was sent a you tube video with two adults performing a mime of 'the famine song' from a 12 year old Rangers supporting friend of his I was chilled. I felt something had to be done"

The Consulate General of Ireland in Scotland sent the following reply to Tommy and indicated that they had been contacted by a number of people about the incident and that they would be taking the matter further:

"Dear Mr Reilly,

My colleague at the Embassy of Ireland, London, forwarded your correspondence to us at the Consulate General of Ireland in Scotland. The Consulate has been contacted by a number of people following the match, and we have raised the matter with the Scottish Government.

When you have time, I would be interested in discussing the matter with you. My contact details are below. We would also recommend that you contact both Celtic and Rangers Football clubs, the Scottish Government including Minister for Community Safety Fergus Ewing, your local MSP and MP, and Strathclyde Police on these matters.

We would be interested to hear from you concerning any responses you receive.

Kind Regards,"

As we await further developments it will be interesting to see the reaction of the mainstream media in Scotland to this escalation of events. Just how will they explain that a matter they thought unworthy of reporting, or should I say a matter they actively suppressed, has suddenly become a matter of great concern to the Governments of two countries?

(N.B. Please note that the name 'Tommy Reilly' is a pseudonym for obvious reasons)

It couldn't have been a pseudonym if he's been targeted for it!

Altogether now!

We know you're a fud!

We know you're a fu-u-ud!

Tommy Reilly!

We know you're a fud!

:craphead:

Guest Andypendek

I saw that in the Sunday Times but didn't think it was worth putting up....I especially liked the sub headline in the paper about not thinking it would cause a diplomatic incident.

Only a tim could contact a diplomat and not expect a diplomatic incident. I'm not one for generalisations but some of them are so stupid it's a wonder they can breathe.

I saw that in the Sunday Times but didn't think it was worth putting up....I especially liked the sub headline in the paper about not thinking it would cause a diplomatic incident.

Only a tim could contact a diplomat and not expect a diplomatic incident. I'm not one for generalisations but some of them are so stupid it's a wonder they can breathe.

Yeah, the irony bypass seems almost congenital and makes me wonder if they were right all along and they are actually a race.

I actually heard this guy talking to Traynor and he said he had no problem with the words originally sung but later found the online extended lyrics which moved him to action. Traynor said, "that's lie. You originally said you were offended by what you heard at the Old Firm game and wrote your letter on that basis." His response was suitably sheepish but he carried on thereafter as if nothing had happened.

Yeah, the irony bypass seems almost congenital and makes me wonder if they were right all along and they are actually a race.

I actually heard this guy talking to Traynor and he said he had no problem with the words originally sung but later found the online extended lyrics which moved him to action. Traynor said, "that's lie. You originally said you were offended by what you heard at the Old Firm game and wrote your letter on that basis." His response was suitably sheepish but he carried on thereafter as if nothing had happened.

Sometimes the poor wee souls need lessons in being offended:

IMG1208-1222177103.jpg

IMG1208-1222177103.jpg

They're like rather demented daleks-"We must be offended! Offend me! Offend me! Offend me! "

Yet they can't see the offence in IRA chants.

They really are very strange characters indeed.

IMG1208-1222177103.jpg

Is it not racist to blow people up just because they happen to be British

IMG1208-1222177103.jpg

Fuck sake Manti: 4 Microsoft Outlook; 3 Excel; 3 Windows Explorer; 1 Access; 6 Word docs; something called "People" and the internet? And they say men can't multitask?

Fuck sake Manti: 4 Microsoft Outlook; 3 Excel; 3 Windows Explorer; 1 Access; 6 Word docs; something called "People" and the internet? And they say men can't multitask?

I was working hard that day.

:lol:

I bet you're a lazy sod who leaves things open, convincing yourself that you'll use them again.

Do that myself.

I bet you're a lazy sod who leaves things open, convincing yourself that you'll use them again.

Do that myself.

And in you, I have no doubt that it is laziness ;)

Do that myself.

And in you, I have no doubt that it is laziness ;)

Work smart-not hard.

That's my motto.

Trip a player before the ref looks and you don't have to track his run. :D

IMG1208-1222177103.jpg

Is it not racist to blow people up just because they happen to be British

No silly, thats fighting for freedom :rolleyes: