Abbiati the fascist

Thaum1el

One of Silvio Berlusconi's players at AC Milan has declared he is a fascist. Christian Abbiati, 31, an Italian international, said: "I am not ashamed to proclaim my political beliefs. I share [the] ideals of fascism, such as the fatherland and the values of the Catholic religion."

Source

Catholicism and fascism in combination, then. This bloke would be the next "honourary" member of the IRA, if they still existed.

Somehow I am having a hard time seeing a connection between fascism and feeling strongly against intolerance. But that might be a better topic for the debating chamber.

That is because you, as other people, link Fascism to Racism.

They are two completely different things though.

That is a brave statement, assuming that I automatically link fascism with racism. I beg to defer, and ask you to refrain from similar preconceptions about my knowledge or opinions. :)

Racism is a group of ideas that basically means that the human species can be divided into several races, such as is the case with cats or dogs or many other animals. It is common, but AFAIK not required, that it also includes ideas that some of said races are better than others in one way or another.

Fascism, as opposed to racism, is a political ideology. In other word a theory on how to run a society. There are, as with racism, several definitions, but some things they most often have in common is strong leadership, dictatorship, corporative economic system, strong nationalism and militarism.

I still maintain that I have a problem to see a system based on the above charactaristics as those described in the paragraph on fascism as feeling strongly against intolerance.

The above is precisely the type of discussion I tried to avoid.

What I wanted to point out is that IRA has a strong connection with the two examples from my original posting: fascism (the IRA happily worked with the Axis in World War II to maintain their own war on Britiain) and the Roman-Catholic fate. Not to say that RC's by default are either IRA sympathizers or fascist. But I'm a bit disappointed that I got my point through so diffusely everybody appearantly missed it. I must start to express myself more clearly in the future.