Ibrox Disaster

BlueVanguard

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Always remember my Grampa on my Dad's side telling me his account of that day. He had just returned from London to visit Glasgow for Xmas & New Year, he actually had forgotten the derby was on and it was a pleasant surprise to him, however he had a bottle green :anguish: polo neck on and went in the tarrier end with 2 of his bluenose mates. Had he not been wearing that polo that day he wouldn't be with us, he always stood at Passage 13. Believe it or not, the Sellick end saved his life that day.

Seen it before and can't watch it, it has me in bits. Even as a parent I can't comprehend what the parents of the young boys must have gone through over the years, I know how I feel and it was "just" a pal we lost.

Like many bears I was there and my mate and I literally missed the disaster by seconds but didn't know what had happened until getting home.

RIP all Bears, gone but never forgotten.

• 1 month later...

Just watched a documentary on SKY about Dalglish - it mentioned that he narrowly missed being caught up in the disaster leaving exit 13 just a few moments before it. I had to check, he signed for Celtic in 1969, yet was at Ibrox in the Rangers end in 1971, I know him and McGrain were bears before joining but couldn't imagine that happening now.

Just watched a documentary on SKY about Dalglish - it mentioned that he narrowly missed being caught up in the disaster leaving exit 13 just a few moments before it. I had to check, he signed for Celtic in 1969, yet was at Ibrox in the Rangers end in 1971, I know him and McGrain were bears before joining but couldn't imagine that happening now.

I watched that last night, and was disappointed when he said if I could change anything it would be heysel and hillsbrough, but never mentioned Ibrox. I thought that was low.

I was a young man at the game with my father, we left after we went 1 down and left down 13. We had to get back to Queen street to catch the Oban train, it was not until we got there that we heard the news. It did not really sink in till the Monday how bad it was. My father who died 2 years ago at 85 always talked about the decision he had made that day to get out early, pure chance as we normally waited till the final whistle at games. Watching the video again brought tears to my eyes.

Tragic stuff. Thoughts are with fellow bears who have lost someone

My grandad was there that night, he remembers it and luckily he left early as he had to work... Only heard the harrowing news when he got home later that night. He always said if he left a few minutes later he wouldn't be around.

A dark day - we've all stuck together though and helped each other through it.

shed a few tears watching that, the story from Gisela Easton about her boy Peter was so sad.

I never knew Jock Stein helped carry the body's of our dead fans, ive never liked that bjk chant, never sang it, and knowing this i will never lower myself to do it in the future.