Rangers Sign Dorin Goian

Stu1993

ALLY McCOIST has made his third signing of the summer by recruiting central defender Dorin Goian from Italian side Palermo subject to a successful work permit application.

The 30-year-old arrives on a three-year deal for an undisclosed fee, following Juan Manuel Ortiz and Lee Wallace to Ibrox, but it is unlikely he will play against Malmo tomorrow evening.

American midfielder Alejandro Bedoya also penned a pre-contract last week and Gers hope he could make an early move to Glasgow from Orebro before the transfer window closes.

Goian arrived in Glasgow yesterday and had a medical at Murray Park this morning before the deal bringing him to the SPL title holders until 2014 was concluded tonight.

He is an experienced stopper and started out at Foresta Falticeni in his homeland before spells at Gloria Buzau, Ceahlaul Piatra Neamt and Bacau.

It was when he moved to Steaua Bucharest in 2005 that he really rose to prominence and after four years there he switched to Serie A cracks Palermo.

Once linked with Manchester United, Goian has played 37 times for his country, scoring five times including a winner against Holland in 2007.

One of his highlights last season was getting the only goal in a 1-0 victory for Palermo against AC Milan, the team which later went on to win the league.

SMS SUBSCRIBERS GOT THIS NEWS FIRST - CLICK HERE NOW TO SIGN UP FOR EXCLUSIVE TEXT ALERTS FROM IBROX AND MURRAY PARK!

Exclusive by Andrew Dickson

DORIN GOIAN believes he has joined one of Europe's top clubs after penning a deal to commit himself to Rangers until 2014.

The 6ft 5in central defender agreed terms with the SPL champions today after flying in to complete his switch from Palermo last night.

And in his first interview as a Light Blues star, he revealed his delight at joining Ally McCoist's team on a three-year contract subject to a successful work permit application.

Goian admits to knowing little about the club and is only conscious of the manager from his own playing days in the 1990s.

Regardless of that, he jumped at the chance to move to Scotland and play for the 54-time title winners because of the reputation they have across the continent.

Goian said: "I am glad to be here. For me, it is a big honour to play for a club such as Rangers with so much history.

"They are one of the top teams in Europe and they have been playing in the Champions League for many years.

"When you hear a team like Rangers is interested in you, it can only be a good thing. I knew I had a contract with Palermo but they called me and said I could come here if I wanted.

"At this moment, I have only good feelings about this move. I do not know a lot about Rangers and I have only really seen them playing on television.

"I don't really know about the players we have but I know about Mr McCoist because he was a very good player and he is now our manager.

"I hope that I can take a couple of days now to get to know the guys and to get used to my new surroundings.

"This is a different challenge for me but it is a good one. I have changed team and the country I am playing in but I am a fighter and I know everything here is going to be okay for me.

"When the manager needs me, I know have to be prepared to go on the field and do my all for the team.

"I hope the experiences I have had already in my career will help me to do well and be successful here. I have learned a lot and I am ready to use what I have taken on here."

Goian has spent much of his day at the club's training ground with his representative waiting on documentation to come in from abroad.

As such, he has not yet been able to visit Ibrox itself - but says seeing where he will work every day at Auchenhowie was enough to convince him where his future lies.

Goian added: "I will go to the stadium soon and I have only seen the training centre so far but it is an incredible, beautiful place.

"I am very excited about being here. I am joining a very big club in Rangers and I want to win lots of trophies here.

"I know that is what the people here expect and I do not want to disappoint them. I want to be as successful as the supporters want us to be."

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to The Rangers.

Exactly the type of player we require; strong, physical, experienced, no-nonsense, commanding. A player who will put his head and body in where it hurts.

Hopefully over his injuries!?

One more central defender and the defence is completed.