Paul Elliot discusses his former Celtic teammates

Ex-Celt: I know 12 gay aces

Ex-Celt: I know 12 gay aces

By GRANT ROLLINGS

Published: 18 Oct 2008

rigTeaserImage

EX-Celtic ace Paul Elliott has said he knows 12 football stars who are gay.

But he said they have not come out of the closet for fear of homophobic chants.

Elliott, 44 — now an anti-racism campaigner — said: “I’ve known a dozen players who are gay. I understand why they do not want to come out. Like racism, there is no place for homophobia in sport.”

Portsmouth defender Sol Campbell, 34, was subjected to unfounded gay slurs from Spurs supporters last month.

Elliott branded it “unacceptable” and called for those fans to get life bans. He was at an FA event on Thursday titled Homophobia: Football’s Final Taboo. BBC sports reporter Bob Ballard, who chaired the talk, criticised Chelsea boss Phil Scolari for once saying he’d kick gays out of his team.

Ex-Norwich striker Justin Fashanu is the only Brit to have come out. He killed himself in 1998.

Notice the "rigTeaserImage" bit at the start. What's that about?

I'm hearing word that theres a gay scandal about to break in the SPL involving a manager and one of his players. Would post name of the manager but I don't fancy being sued although if I was pm'd.........

I heard rumours about a certain 41 year old manager...

I'm hearing word that theres a gay scandal about to break in the SPL involving a manager and one of his players. Would post name of the manager but I don't fancy being sued although if I was pm'd.........

Brewster?

Ho ho. I don't expect this thread to survive much longer :)

Anyway i think it's deeply fucking sad that gay guys can't come out if they are professional sportsmen. There's only really been a handful, and of those Fashanu killed himself, and so did that wrestler last year (what was his name again? The one that was suing the WWE for unfair dismissal?)

Ho ho. I don't expect this thread to survive much longer :)

Anyway i think it's deeply fucking sad that gay guys can't come out if they are professional sportsmen. There's only really been a handful, and of those Fashanu killed himself, and so did that wrestler last year (what was his name again? The one that was suing the WWE for unfair dismissal?)

Chris Kanyon?