UEFA hit Atletico for racism

Meanwhile, Atletico's local rivals Real Madrid have thrown their support behind their neighbours.

Real Madrid President, Ramon Calderon: "It seems unfair to me. The police do not report to Atletico Madrid. Those that caused the problems were the Marseille fans."

Real Madrid full-back, Michel Salgado: "You can't punish an entire fan base for the racist behaviour of a few people in the crowd. I think they've been too drastic in their decision. There's racism in every stadium due to a minority of the crowd. It has nothing to do with sport. This punishment sets a precedent. We'll have to wait to see what UEFA does whenever this happens again; if every stadium has to be shut down because of this, many games will be played behind closed doors."

I must admit, Salgado is talking absolute nonsense. Madrid should have stayed well clear of this issue.

How is he? It's not Atletico's problem but a problem with society. Clubs do not pick who follows them and they can't be blamed for a social issue. It's all PC bullshit and where does the line get drawn at what is and isn't offensive?

From my experiences of watching Spanish football, Atletico are one of, if not the worst when it comes to racism. It's about time someone threw the book at them.

Sorry, but to say that "there is racism in every stadium due to a minority of the crowd" is just laughable.

Unless everyone's adopted the tim-like definition of racism.

AKA having a different opinion.

Having looked at the Rojiblancos forum, it seems they feel they and their policeing are being made an example of.

If this helps cut out scenes like that, surely it's not a bad thing in the long run?

And by the way, the chants they aimed at Taiwo were hardly wihout substance. Couple this with how UEFA "let them off" after EL Frente done a circuit of the stadium to attack the Bolton fans in last years UEFA Cup tie, it's no surprise that they've had enough.