Classy Murray into Madrid semis

Andy Murray

Murray took control of the match at 4-2 in the first set

A dominant Andy Murray defeated Gael Monfils 6-2 6-2 to move into the semi-finals of the Madrid Masters.

The British world number four will now face his US Open final conqueror Roger Federer or Juan Martin del Potro.

Murray lost his opening service game in a cagey start to the match, but once he had broken to take a 4-2 lead, he took complete control.

Monfils could find no answer to his opponent's greater variety and Murray eased to victory in just over an hour.

"I served very badly at the start," admitted Murray.

"But once I got a few more serves in, I only lost one more game until I lost my focus right at the end.

"I started to relax and hit the ball pretty well. It was a really satisfying performance."

606: DEBATE

Can Murray win his second Masters title in Madrid?

Federer faces Argentine Del Potro in a later match on Friday, with a re-match against Murray the reward should the world number two prevail.

Following Federer's straight-sets win in September's US Open final, the head-to-head record stands at 2-2.

"It will be a great match," said Murray.

"At the US Open, I wished I could have played better - but he was great and deserved to win."

In the other half of the draw, world number one Rafael Nadal meets fellow Spaniard Feliciano Lopez while Ivo Karlovic takes on unseeded Frenchman Gilles Simon.

Karlovic caused a huge shock by knocking out world number three Novak Djokovic on Thursday.

No long til he's world no3 :beer2:

Gael Monfils did absolutely nothing to help his cause today but Andy played well.

Here's the comparative recent forms of Murray and Djoko (last 5 tournies) -

Wimbledon: Murray reaches Quarters; Djoko out in 3rd round to Safin.

Toronto MS: Murray reaches Semi's; Djoko out in Quarters (Murray beats Djoko in straight sets)

Cincy MS: Murray wins title; Djoko runner up to Andy (again Murray wins is straight sets)

US Open: Murray reaches final; Djoko loses Semi Final (I think)

Madrid MS: Murray currently in Semi's; Djokovic out in last 16.

Anyone who doubts that Murray can close in on 3rd place in the rankings just has to look at this. I think its only a matter of time.

Djokovic reached the Semi Final of the Paris Masters (next event after Madrid) last year, whilst murray didn't feature in it, so Murray will have no points to defend going into next week giving him a great chance to close the gap further.