Celtic Players Behaved Like Pigs And Children

Misteral

Celtic players behaved like ‘pigs’ and ‘children’, says Malmo’s Johan Wiland

Malmo goalkeeper unimpressed with home team’s behaviour

‘The seemed more interested in talking than their performance’

b23e0603-c5c1-4d2a-b920-4aebe5cae557-206
Johan Wiland of Malmo celebrates after Jo Inge Berget’s goal early in the second half against Celtic. Photograph: Mark Runnacles/Getty Images

Marcus Christenson

Thursday 20 August 2015 08.24 BST Last modified on Thursday 20 August 201508.30 BST

Malmo FF’s goalkeeper Johan Wiland has said that Celtic’s players behaved like ‘pigs’ and ‘children’ during the first Champions League play-off leg between the two teams at Celtic Park on Wednesday night. Celtic won 3-2 but the Swedes go in to the second leg hopeful of overturning the deficit after Jo Inge Berget’s crucial second goal in added on time.

Celtic led 3-1 going into the 94th minute but failed to defend a corner and the Norwegian, who had a loan spell with the Scottish team in 2014, pounced to deny the home team a two-goal-cushion. It was a niggly game and after the final whistle the Malmo players spoke were critical of how their Celtic counterparts’ behaviour during the game.

“They are pigs, all of them, that’s the way it is,” Wiland told Kvällsposten. “You just have to try to stay cool and do what we have to do on the pitch. Leigh Griffiths [who scored twice for Celtic], well, I don’t know what to say, he behaved like a child, tugging shirts all the time.”

The Malmo defender Rasmus Bengtsson told Sportbladet: “There were some players who talked a lot. You probably know who I mean. They have a captain [scott Brown] and a few others who like to talk. But that’s the way it is at this level. One player who came on [Nadir Ciftci] was not particularly nice. The first thing he wanted to do when he came on was to talk. He had more focus on that than his performance. And I don’t think it was to their advantage that they were running around focusing on other things.”

Berget, however, did not join in in the criticism of the Celtic players. “I don’t want to say that they are a group of pigs. They have some tough players. We knew before the game that it would be tough so you just have to roll with it.”

The return leg will be played on August 25 in Malmo.

You can tell by watching them on the TV that he's spot on.

I saw Brown, Lustig and Johannsen act like childish wee windup merchants (Brown and Johansen managed to get themselves booked for it in the end, as well as opposition that bit - the ref wasn't daft, he could see what was going on. Good ref, actually. Always impressed by him). If you don't have the talent to be sure of making it through with that alone, then you adopt some more underhand ways, I guess.

Sellic are always the morally superior club, of course.

They were accused of it in the last round too, seems to be something they've introduced in a bid to put people off their game.

What they need to remember is anyone worth their salt knows how to shut 'Broony' up pretty quickly in a game of verbal tennis.

As if taking a wage from a club who covered up child abuse isn't bad enough.

We should maybe send a wee dossier to the Malmo players for the second leg.

You can tell by watching them on the TV that he's spot on.

I saw Brown, Lustig and Johannsen act like childish wee windup merchants (Brown and Johansen managed to get themselves booked for it in the end, as well as opposition that bit - the ref wasn't daft, he could see what was going on. Good ref, actually. Always impressed by him). If you don't have the talent to be sure of making it through with that alone, then you adopt some more underhand ways, I guess.

Sellic are always the morally superior club, of course.

The Lego Eater is a fucking liability at any level.

Just wait until the good law abiding people of Malmo meet the subhuman dregs that turn up in their city for the 2nd leg..!!

I really hope the Swedish Police don't upset or offend that infamous juan ghuy next week..??...especially after the game when the mhanks are out on their arses... :anguish:

They were accused of it in the last round too, seems to be something they've introduced in a bid to put people off their game.

What they need to remember is anyone worth their salt knows how to shut 'Broony' up pretty quickly in a game of verbal tennis.

As if taking a wage from a club who covered up child abuse isn't bad enough.

We should maybe send a wee dossier to the Malmo players for the second leg.

Just ask him if he can repeat what he said without a mouthful of lego. :D