The Future

BigBearButt

We are only 4 games into the season and theres no need to press the panic button just yet but is it not depressing looking over at that mob and seeing how well they seem to have handled and recover from the administration process?

Dont get me wrong Hearts are by no means a great team by any stretch of the imagination but they have in my opinion gone about things the right way. Releasing their high earners and bleeding in their youth. They battled their way through the SPL season and I think they would have escaped relegation if it wasnt for the points deduction? (could be wrong). They now look like a half decent side capable of pushing us all the way this season.

Now have a look at the route we decided to go just looks like a massive mistake which could again have massive repercussions to our football club. Specifically since we had the bigger chance to develop players by starting in the bottom tier and develop a new footballing philosophy

We could have picked up the good enough players who would improve from full time coaching etc from the divisions above (see nicky clark) who would give their eyeteeth to play for a club like rangers and actually develop and integrate our youth. But no we had to get 'SPL class' whatever the fuck that means, to grind our way to two part time leagues playing a turgid brand of football. I'm happy with the fast track promotion no doubt but are we any further forward or learned our past mistakes?

The two seasons in the lower leagues would have been the ideal environment for our youngsters to be tested and improve as players ready to take on full time teams. Would we have won the leagues by as many points? probably not but we would have had a young hungry team at the end of it and a much better balance sheet to boot.

To round it all off we are stuck with the likes of Dean Shields and Daly who are on substantial wages who in probability wont start a game for Rangers this season but will take up a place in the squad from a youngster.

Where was the long term planning and whats for the future?

Said it before but Hearts were relegated before a ball was even kicked last season that gave them the chance to bring in young players short term without having to worry about results. While they may have had a good start to the season I would expect Rolf Harris FC to put them out of the league cup meaning they are out of 2 of the 4 cups in the first 1/4 of the season. They also won't be able to keep up the kind of league form they've been playing at for the rest of the season either. Come May we'll be top and they will be taking their chances in the play-offs.

This idea we could of developed our below average youth players and some lower leagues players shows an absolute naivety. Tbf you are not the only one to think this but it was never going to happen.

Now I am not saying the answer was the way we done it but the way you suggest would also not have worked

We are four games into the season so let's not deem their philosophy of doing things a success just yet. It was only a few weeks ago people on this forum were praising Stubbs and Hibs's philosophy and the way they were going about their business and now look at Hibs :lol:(tu)

This idea we could of developed our below average youth players and some lower leagues players shows an absolute naivety. Tbf you are not the only one to think this but it was never going to happen.

Now I am not saying the answer was the way we done it but the way you suggest would also not have worked

It worked for Gretna, why not us?

Are our youth that bad they cant compete with plumbers? If so should they be at Rangers? I would have kept a spine such as Bell, Wallace, McCulloch (i know i know) and Little served us well in division 3. I think it would have been worth it thats all im saying.

We are four games into the season so let's not deem their philosophy of doing things a success just yet. It was only a few weeks ago people on this forum were praising Stubbs and Hibs's philosophy and the way they were going about their business and now look at Hibs :lol:(tu)

I agree their squad is paper thin, with injuries and suspensions they will drop points, they will however be put out of all the cups as Neilson plays their under 17s it seems in cup competitions which leaves us playing more games and allows them to concentrate on the league.

I also think our own team will improve, gel together and win the league. Just feel the way we have gone about it had short term mentality surrounding it.

I agree it's been a wasted opportunity and one we will never have again to develop young players etc.

Got to assume McCoists remit was to gain promotion at first ask each time. Bit of a sledgehammer to crack a nut at times, but unsure if the fans would have tolerated a young team being kicked off the park by the butchers, bakers a d candlestick makers of the lower leagues.

What's done is done and we need to focus on now and the immediate future. Ally is clueless and I feel like I am watching the same bad movie every week with the Wayne sets up the team. When I saw the line up I knew we would create jack as there was no width again.

Temps comes on and we start to stretch their defence. Next week we will start with no wingers again and play central players out wide. And while I Ann on a run, mosni is the worst player ever to wear the jersey and god only knows what ally sees in him.

Sick of hearing the same pish from our fellow bears.

This OP opinion is absolutely spot on and the minute he puts his keyboard down, the questions come in of hi allegiance. Poor lad does not even get a chance to grab a wee 1664!

The fact is, we should have played youth through the first two stages and we expected it - the majority. The issue is, if we had and we played poor, the fans would have turned on the manager. Instead, what we have done is spend money on SPL players, played poor and the fans have turned on the manager.

It worked for Gretna, why not us?

Are our youth that bad they cant compete with plumbers? If so should they be at Rangers? I would have kept a spine such as Bell, Wallace, McCulloch (i know i know) and Little served us well in division 3. I think it would have been worth it thats all im saying.

It worked for Gretna? to what capacity. We have to get back to the very top the vast majority of our youth and players like clark will never be good enough to get us there no matter how much time we give them in lower leagues.

What we should saved as much money as possible, got reliable players that would of got us back to the spl asap and tried to develop one or 2 players like macleod. Then with the money saved from share issues and s.t money spent big getting players to take us back to champs league football.

to your question are our youth that bad? well have you seen the majority of them play. Its no surprise the majority are not up to scratch usually only 1 or 2 make it through the ranks every 2 years that are actually good enough

@cameron you really think we are anywhere near competing for a cl spot? The whole team needs refreshing regardless. Difference is we will have no money now as we have spent it all over the past two years.

I'm not willing to write off our youth as they haven't been given a chance so we will never know.... Kinda my whole point.

Look at Gallagher, performed well tail end of last year and pre season. Where is he? Now look at the latest goal keeper shenanigans. Release the young boy who hearts snap up. Bell gets injured so instead of letting a youngster sit on the bench be brings in another experienced keeper for backup who will by the end of the season be our number 3. Its a fucking joke, a bad joke.

Said it before but Hearts were relegated before a ball was even kicked last season that gave them the chance to bring in young players short term without having to worry about results. While they may have had a good start to the season I would expect Rolf Harris FC to put them out of the league cup meaning they are out of 2 of the 4 cups in the first 1/4 of the season. They also won't be able to keep up the kind of league form they've been playing at for the rest of the season either. Come May we'll be top and they will be taking their chances in the play-offs.

couldnt have said it better,

Plus the pressure was always going to be on us to start the season well as the media are ready to jump on any signs of weakness from us.

I would be very surprised if hearts can sustain their great start to the season as they havent got the squad to sustain injuries etc over a long campaign.

Mark my words, we'll win this league with at least 10 points to spare.

We're still in August and Hearts will drop points as the season goes on.

I must admit I thought Falkirk would have given them a tougher game but the Hearts team has a lot of younger players who are really up for if just now and they've carried a good momentum.

Let's see if that's still that's still the case when they're having to visit the likes of Almondvale and Palmerston in the winter months and injuries/suspensions are starting to take their toll.

Rangers have a huge squad depth, Hearts do not.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but foresight is a greater gift ? Who knows what the future will bring, its one of the things that excites me as a fan in purely football terms.

At present the biggest difference between us and Hearts is the off field potential. We need to keep the focus on this ourselves, but by all means learn from what other teams are achieving on the football park and strive to emulate them. The apparent contrast in experience and playing styles of us and Hearts should be interesting as the season goes on .

I am not familiar with the SPL teams (I refuse to watch them, shallow I know) but notice Dundee United are getting recognition for playing youngsters, but do not believe they have actually won anything yet. it will be interesting to see how Hearts fare as the season wears on.

Momentum is carrying them just now. Off form it took them a very fortunate IJ winner (and a dozen wasted chances by Rangers) to win.

They'll drift away in time, if not i am sure they'll have off field politics at some point which always seems the case there.