*****the Official 2015 Open Thread*****

B1872

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big Dustin is ripping this field apart with a great display of power and touch.

Winning this out the park at this rate.

Without the wind and damp greens it's pretty much just target golf for these guys.

Tom Watson is, like Jack before him, a true sporting great and a gentleman to boot.

Regarding the weather I am surprised at play being suspended due to high winds, I am sure when big John Daly won his there were winds up to 50 mph for most of the week. Having not been able to watch it, are the winds that bad?

Tom Watson is, like Jack before him, a true sporting great and a gentleman to boot.

Regarding the weather I am surprised at play being suspended due to high winds, I am sure when big John Daly won his there were winds up to 50 mph for most of the week. Having not been able to watch it, are the winds that bad?

Think it has as much to do with the rules change. Under the old rules if the ball moves on the green and you've grounded the club you replace the ball and get a one shot penalty, which was crazy. The new rules state that if the wind moves the ball even if you have grounded your club then you play it where it stops without penalty. If the ball blows in to the hole then you get it. So if it was a par three and your tee shot lands four feet from the pin. You mark the ball, replace it and the wind blows it in the hole then its a hole in one, Oosthuizen had a four foot putt he addressed the ball and the wind blew it to two feet, he then went to mark it and the wind blew it eight feet away. If they had changed the rules so that if the wind moves the ball then you simply replace it without penalty then there wouldn't be an issue.

Think it has as much to do with the rules change. Under the old rules if the ball moves on the green and you've grounded the club you replace the ball and get a one shot penalty, which was crazy. The new rules state that if the wind moves the ball even if you have grounded your club then you play it where it stops without penalty. If the ball blows in to the hole then you get it. So if it was a par three and your tee shot lands four feet from the pin. You mark the ball, replace it and the wind blows it in the hole then its a hole in one, Oosthuizen had a four foot putt he addressed the ball and the wind blew it to two feet, he then went to mark it and the wind blew it eight feet away. If they had changed the rules so that if the wind moves the ball then you simply replace it without penalty then there wouldn't be an issue.

So the wind is strong enough to blow the ball about which becomes a farce. I remember the Aussie open around 20 years ago and Monry had a 35 foot putt, we t line it up after puuting the ball back down turned round and his ball was 8 feet from the home. Complete rub of the green but could go the other way.