Bill Leckie Spouting Pish Again

GrangemouthRSC

BY BILL LECKIE in MELBOURNE

Published: 4 minutes ago
ENJOY the football today, Scotland, whoever you follow.

Enjoy it while you can. Because all the signs are that come tomorrow, the beautiful game will be booted into touch by the Ugly Sisters and their festering rivalry.

And before followers of either come out with their usual response that if we don’t like it, we can stay away, I’m miles ahead of them.

Ten thousand, five hundred and forty one miles, to be exact. And I’m not convinced it’s far enough.

Truth? When the draw was made and it dawned I’d be in Australia as Celtic and Rangers locked antlers, it was a sheer bloody relief.

Never mind following Andy Murray at the tennis — if the gaffer had sent me to All-Syrian Pass The Parcel Championships it’d STILL have been more attractive than being caught up in the lunacy around Mount Florida.

I don’t care who wins tomorrow. I never did when this pair met in the past and never will in the future.

All I care about is whether Glasgow, the nation and any other dot on the planet where Old Firm bampottery exists comes through it with as little trauma as humanly possible.

As it turns out, I might not even see the game. Chances are I’ll still be working on the aftermath of Murray’s crack at the Men’s Singles title and settling for online updates from Hampden.

Though even if the work was done and dusted in time, I might not be looking too hard for a pub with it on the box.

Because as it will surprise absolutely no one to discover, even on the other side of the world too many Celtic and Rangers fans are just as bitter as those back home.

A couple of days ago, I caught up with a mate who moved out here for work a year or two back. He’s Rangers daft, so the first thing he did was to contact the local supporters club and sign up. The second thing he did was to Facebook the local Celtic club saying he was looking forward to a bit of banter over their respective long-distance love affairs.

To which he was wished “a slow and painful death, like yer club.”

He laughed it off and went along to watch a game with his fellow Bluenoses. He had the address of the hotel typed into Maps on his moby, but this turned out an unnecessary waste of data, seeing as he was able to follow the sound of The Sash from two streets away.

Two weeks later, he’d been barred because he refused to join in the party tunes and refused to respond to the cry of “everybody ootside” when a bunch of Irish blokes turned up looking for a scrap.

As a result, he now gets up early doors and watches his team at home on his laptop.

Is it just me or is that a real shame? The thought that even on the other side of the world, some people still can’t stand far enough back to realise the stupidity of the horrible, sectarian bubble?

I mean, it’s bad enough that we outsiders are growled at by those whose lives are ruled by an invisible divide. But when a diehard supporter stuck this far away from home is is shunned by supposedly like-minded people because he’s not enough of “wannae us”?

Well, you tell me¿.¿.¿.¿does it convince you that 10,000 miles really IS far enough away?

If you’re still unsure, then consider this. As I write this, I’m reading online a story about how police officers are being taught the words of banned songs so they know who to lift — and, just to help them out, there’s a guide to which songs are illegal, which are acceptable and which ones the jury’s out on.

This, they said, was “so Scotland isn’t embarrassed in the eyes of the world” — but it’s too late for that. The polis horse has bolted.

The very fact we’re wasting breath discussing this garbage is an embarrassment. Obsessives buying advertising space to claim the other lot don’t exist is an embarrassment. Being asked wherever you go in the world whether you follow the Protestants or the Catholics is an embarrassment.

In short, this pair have been affronting us forever and a day — and whether you believe this is their 400th meeting or their first, there’s been little to suggest in the build-up that they’re suddenly going to become a credit to the nation.

Feel free to prove me wrong, Old Firm fans. If so, I will apologise for doubting you.

Question is, will YOU apologise if it all goes horribly wrong?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

BY BILL LECKIE in MELBOURNE

Published: 4 minutes ago
ENJOY the football today, Scotland, whoever you follow.

Enjoy it while you can. Because all the signs are that come tomorrow, the beautiful game will be booted into touch by the Ugly Sisters and their festering rivalry.

And before followers of either come out with their usual response that if we don’t like it, we can stay away, I’m miles ahead of them.

Ten thousand, five hundred and forty one miles, to be exact. And I’m not convinced it’s far enough.

Truth? When the draw was made and it dawned I’d be in Australia as Celtic and Rangers locked antlers, it was a sheer bloody relief.

Never mind following Andy Murray at the tennis — if the gaffer had sent me to All-Syrian Pass The Parcel Championships it’d STILL have been more attractive than being caught up in the lunacy around Mount Florida.

I don’t care who wins tomorrow. I never did when this pair met in the past and never will in the future.

All I care about is whether Glasgow, the nation and any other dot on the planet where Old Firm bampottery exists comes through it with as little trauma as humanly possible.

As it turns out, I might not even see the game. Chances are I’ll still be working on the aftermath of Murray’s crack at the Men’s Singles title and settling for online updates from Hampden.

Though even if the work was done and dusted in time, I might not be looking too hard for a pub with it on the box.

Because as it will surprise absolutely no one to discover, even on the other side of the world too many Celtic and Rangers fans are just as bitter as those back home.

A couple of days ago, I caught up with a mate who moved out here for work a year or two back. He’s Rangers daft, so the first thing he did was to contact the local supporters club and sign up. The second thing he did was to Facebook the local Celtic club saying he was looking forward to a bit of banter over their respective long-distance love affairs.

To which he was wished “a slow and painful death, like yer club.”

He laughed it off and went along to watch a game with his fellow Bluenoses. He had the address of the hotel typed into Maps on his moby, but this turned out an unnecessary waste of data, seeing as he was able to follow the sound of The Sash from two streets away.

Two weeks later, he’d been barred because he refused to join in the party tunes and refused to respond to the cry of “everybody ootside” when a bunch of Irish blokes turned up looking for a scrap.

As a result, he now gets up early doors and watches his team at home on his laptop.

Is it just me or is that a real shame? The thought that even on the other side of the world, some people still can’t stand far enough back to realise the stupidity of the horrible, sectarian bubble?

I mean, it’s bad enough that we outsiders are growled at by those whose lives are ruled by an invisible divide. But when a diehard supporter stuck this far away from home is is shunned by supposedly like-minded people because he’s not enough of “wannae us”?

Well, you tell me¿.¿.¿.¿does it convince you that 10,000 miles really IS far enough away?

If you’re still unsure, then consider this. As I write this, I’m reading online a story about how police officers are being taught the words of banned songs so they know who to lift — and, just to help them out, there’s a guide to which songs are illegal, which are acceptable and which ones the jury’s out on.

This, they said, was “so Scotland isn’t embarrassed in the eyes of the world” — but it’s too late for that. The polis horse has bolted.

The very fact we’re wasting breath discussing this garbage is an embarrassment. Obsessives buying advertising space to claim the other lot don’t exist is an embarrassment. Being asked wherever you go in the world whether you follow the Protestants or the Catholics is an embarrassment.

In short, this pair have been affronting us forever and a day — and whether you believe this is their 400th meeting or their first, there’s been little to suggest in the build-up that they’re suddenly going to become a credit to the nation.

Feel free to prove me wrong, Old Firm fans. If so, I will apologise for doubting you.

Question is, will YOU apologise if it all goes horribly wrong?

This game is Scottish football. It's Money whether tits like him want to admit it.

Somebody tell the clown that football is tribal, It's built on rivalries and hatred. All this lets be friends with everyone is just fucking bullshit.

Stopped reading when he said he'd rather go to a "Pass the parcel competition" in Syria,I mean really Bill,really?

You're comparing a quite heated football derby to a pass the bomb contest in a warzone,the amount of absolute dogshite that so called Scottish journalists come away with is beyond parody :lol:

When we read stories of 'real' violence and corruption in football from other countries it puts in to perspective what we have here. Some close to the knuckle banter and songs, tit --Chris Sutton-- for tat slagging and not much else despite the newspapers hyperbole.

I don't know who this man is, I'm not familiar with his work as I don't read tabloids, but he sounds like one of these guys who shouts about how terrible we are while sweating and self-pleasuring at his keyboard.

Who is Bill Leckie? I ask this in all sincerity because whilst his name sounds familiar, I honestly don't know who he is. I assume he is a journalist but clearly a poor one. He's one of the sanctimonious vermin who claim to be journalists but who thrive on any trouble by football fans, particularly fans of our club. A hypocrite of the first degree. If it wasn't for Rangers there would be no serious football in Scotland. As for any trouble with fans, where is the media lead on trying to encourage fans to behave? The answer is of course: nowhere. The media thrives on bad news and they have been stoking the flames for weeks. If the game ends without any trouble it won't be due to the peace-keeping efforts of the media, because they are hoping for bedlam. They are a disgusting bunch of two-faced fraudsters.

Who is Bill Leckie? I ask this in all sincerity because whilst his name sounds familiar, I honestly don't know who he is. I assume he is a journalist but clearly a poor one. He's one of the sanctimonious vermin who claim to be journalists but who thrive on any trouble by football fans, particularly fans of our club. A hypocrite of the first degree. If it wasn't for Rangers there would be no serious football in Scotland. As for any trouble with fans, where is the media lead on trying to encourage fans to behave? The answer is of course: nowhere. The media thrives on bad news and they have been stoking the flames for weeks. If the game ends without any trouble it won't be due to the peace-keeping efforts of the media, because they are hoping for bedlam. They are a disgusting bunch of two-faced fraudsters.

Yet another nobody wishing his team had 54 titles.