Random Rangers Hero

The Hammer 11

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was about 11 for some reason I really liked Tom Cowan. He did a wee thing when he stopped running where he kicked the ground with his toes that I used to copy.

He only played 12 games for us before getting a bad injury in the title winning game at Ibrox v the Sheep in '91 and then moving away.

When I was about 11 for some reason I really liked Tom Cowan. He did a wee thing when he stopped running where he kicked the ground with his toes that I used to copy.

He only played 12 games for us before getting a bad injury in the title winning game at Ibrox v the Sheep in '91 and then moving away.

He was so anonymous his name/picture was substituted for Chris Vinnicombe on the 1991/1992 poster.

That must have been an absolute gutter, as Chris wasn't exactly Pele.

Went to Sheffield Utd & then played most of his games for Huddersfield.

I seem to recall he scored direct from a throw in once.

Out of curiousity, what type of player was he? Just before my time, and he's a relative of mine, and because I didn't really follow his career it'd be good to know what sort of player he was.

As for the question at hand, always thought Maurice Ross would have been a good player for us. I was only young at the time though :lol:

Out of curiousity, what type of player was he? Just before my time, and he's a relative of mine, and because I didn't really follow his career it'd be good to know what sort of player he was.

As for the question at hand, always thought Maurice Ross would have been a good player for us. I was only young at the time though :lol:

Think TC was mainly a left back, who could do a turn in midfield (looking better than Stevie Smith while he did it!).

Maurice Ross could have been great, except for a complete lack of urgency!

The number of times he had a ten yard start on a guy, and arrived at the ball at the same time!

Great goal in the league cup final rout of Motherwell!

Had a soft spot for Jonas Thern, really though that if he never had the cruciate injury he could've been a Rangers great.

A real coup at the time signing him.

Was behind the dug out at the Cup semi v them at the Scumdome, when he was right in front of me - saw him look up & pick out Albertz on the far touchline - somehow, I knew from the moment it left his boot that we were going to score.

Jorg's cross, Ally's header - job done!

Oh - and his goal against them, the following Sunday?

Good as Wilkins's!

Yeah, as said above, a left back that could play at left mid. From what I remember in his short time at Rangers he was small and pretty slender, but had a good engine to get up and down and he was a gutsy wee tackler. A solid defender with a good attitude and heart.

Some rare footage of him here. Getting crunched in the tackle that caused his injury and then putting in a good tackle after that, then a second challenge that seemed to aggravate it. He went off shortly after. Watch the first 2 minutes, as he appears quite a bit and you see him stretchered off.

Note especially the toe-tap I copied at 0.29 minutes!!!!

Think TC was mainly a left back, who could do a turn in midfield (looking better than Stevie Smith while he did it!).

Maurice Ross could have been great, except for a complete lack of urgency!

The number of times he had a ten yard start on a guy, and arrived at the ball at the same time!

Great goal in the league cup final rout of Motherwell!

Yeah, as said above, a left back that could play at left mid. From what I remember in his short time at Rangers he was small and pretty slender, but had a good engine to get up and down and he was a gutsy wee tackler. A solid defender with a good attitude and heart.

Some rare footage of him here. Getting crunched in the tackle that caused his injury and then putting in a good tackle after that, then a second challenge that seemed to aggravate it. He limped off shortly after. Watch the first 2 minutes, as he appears quite a bit and you see him stretchered off.

Note especially the toe-tap I copied at 0.29 minutes!!!!

(tu) Cheers guys.

What relation is he, btw?

He's like a far distant cousin. My granddad was his uncle, so he's my mum's cousin.

Bobby williamson, for a peach of an overhead kick v the scum, 84 I think, think he got a bad injury just after was never the same player.

Broke his leg if I remember rightly. Wasn't that also the game when Jimmy Nichol was sent off while on loan from Toronto Blizzard?