Hibs show how it's done..

ALAN STUBBS last night ripped into his Hibs predecessors and claimed the club will no longer sign players based on their Wikipedia description.

The new gaffer – gearing up for his first Edinburgh derby today – has transformed the Easter Road infrastructure since arriving in the summer.

He said: “From day one to today, the club is functioning a million per cent better.”

Stubbs reckons key decisions in the last few years, when Pat Fenlon and Terry Butcher were in charge, seem to have been made off the cuff.

As he prepared to face Hearts at Tynecastle this afternoon, Stubbs said: “From when I came in to where we are now is an unbelievable change.

People don’t realise what we’ve had to do over the last eight weeks. We had just 14 players, no physio, no fitness coach and no sports science at Hibs.

“Now we have a full physio department and two sports scientists and fitness coaches in place. We have a recruitment department to look after first-team players all the way down to the youths.

“We can’t be scouting players any more on the back of a Wikipedia page and one individual’s opinion. I’ll want background checks and medical histories.

“None of that was in place, none whatsoever. We can’t be in a position where we’re spending money without having done due diligence.

“Hibs can’t buy players with a medical history that suggests they’ll only manage 10 or 15 games a season. It’s wrong.

“But that’s maybe some of the things that have happened in the past. At times, it was as if it was done off the cuff.”

Stubbs assured fans he’s still trying to strengthen the side – and may return to old club Everton for more loanees.

He said: “If players become available and will make us stronger, I’ll definitely be interested.” Stubbs is relishing his first derby battle but warns his team must play the game, not the occasion.

He said: “I don’t want my men to get totally wrapped up in what surrounds the game. We must be professional.

“Derbies can make you lose sight of why you’re actually out there. We must channel our emotions the right way.”

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ALAN STUBBS last night ripped into his Hibs predecessors and claimed the club will no longer sign players based on their Wikipedia description.

The new gaffer – gearing up for his first Edinburgh derby today – has transformed the Easter Road infrastructure since arriving in the summer.

He said: “From day one to today, the club is functioning a million per cent better.”

Stubbs reckons key decisions in the last few years, when Pat Fenlon and Terry Butcher were in charge, seem to have been made off the cuff.

As he prepared to face Hearts at Tynecastle this afternoon, Stubbs said: “From when I came in to where we are now is an unbelievable change.

People don’t realise what we’ve had to do over the last eight weeks. We had just 14 players, no physio, no fitness coach and no sports science at Hibs.

“Now we have a full physio department and two sports scientists and fitness coaches in place. We have a recruitment department to look after first-team players all the way down to the youths.

“We can’t be scouting players any more on the back of a Wikipedia page and one individual’s opinion. I’ll want background checks and medical histories.

“None of that was in place, none whatsoever. We can’t be in a position where we’re spending money without having done due diligence.

“Hibs can’t buy players with a medical history that suggests they’ll only manage 10 or 15 games a season. It’s wrong.

“But that’s maybe some of the things that have happened in the past. At times, it was as if it was done off the cuff.”

Stubbs assured fans he’s still trying to strengthen the side – and may return to old club Everton for more loanees.

He said: “If players become available and will make us stronger, I’ll definitely be interested.” Stubbs is relishing his first derby battle but warns his team must play the game, not the occasion.

He said: “I don’t want my men to get totally wrapped up in what surrounds the game. We must be professional.

“Derbies can make you lose sight of why you’re actually out there. We must channel our emotions the right way.”

If only we had someone that thought like that at Ibrox!

It's showed at ibrox what a well drilled team can do in a new formation, under butcher they looked disjointed and certainly never played 3-5-2, a couple of weeks of intensive training under a manager with fresh ideas, they looked like a decent team, us on the other hand looked fucking horrible. Embarrassing that Hibs are more advanced than we are.

Neilson spoke sense recently too about having players especially young ones in for double training sessions as they are still learning their trade.

And what he inherited was hardly a strong squad.

Seems some managers in our division know whats needed at this level, how to go about it, and with youth (forced upon them due to finances) build for the future.

Our's does not.

The best comment I saw about Butcher's Hibs was that no-one would offer him loan players because of his route one approach. Same logic applies to SuperAlly! As does the Wikipaedia approach to player recruitment.

No Rangers fan should underestimate how much of a shambles we are.

If a new man/team came in to oversee us Stubbs comments would appear to be complimentary.

For far too long, too many on and off the pitch have taken the fans for a ride and it continues today. Until the support stop bickering with each other and showing blind faith in all things Rangers we will never have the team or club we deserve.

I have never been, and never will be, embarassed to be a Rangers fan but I am disgusted and dismayed at almost everything to do with our club these days.

Perhaps Rangers not getting promoted this season will finally open the eyes of some to the reality of the problems. I certainly don't want that to happen but the two Edinburgh club's, much as many ignorantly dismiss them, have ambitious young managers who appear to have a vision and determination to see their plans through whereas we have an overpaid management team who are out of their depth and inept with no evidence of clear plans as to how they want the team to develop.