Players on the post at corners

Something which is currently bothering me, along with leaving the posts unguarded, is when centre backs are more bothered about grappling with the guy who's out jumping them to score - a la Rio Ferdinand last week & our own Lee Wallace v Hertz.

Something which is currently bothering me, along with leaving the posts unguarded, is when centre backs are more bothered about grappling with the guy who's out jumping them to score - a la Rio Ferdinand last week & our own Lee Wallace v Hertz.

Wallace does it every week

Wallace does it every week

I don't wish to pan Lee specifically (tho' that was a good example), the number of times you see a goal and say ' why didn't he defend the ball, not the man' is getting beyond it, these days.

I can only assume its to have everyone available for the quickest possible beak. That and corner takers unable to beat the first man are 2 things that currently piss me off about football. The latter seems to be a growing trend in the modern game as well. Strange.

Hate:

1. Having no one left up as an outball when defending corner

2. No one on post

3. Main CF ( ie Rooney / RVP ) taking corners.

Rant over

Agree with points 1 and 2 but I completely disagree with your third point. Why shouldn't your striker take corners if he's the best at them? Especially like a Rooney who isn't the tallest and therefore can get another taller lad in there. No point having your best striker in the box if the person who would be taking corners is worse at them. Id agree if Shearer was taking corners considering his heading ability but not someone like Rooney or RvP.

I appreciate the reason it annoys you is because a striker has quicker reactions if the ball ends up on the ground or something but that doesn't happen too often. Using Man Utd as an example, Rooney/RvP taking corners and Chicarito in front of the keeper waiting for a sniff of a chance to poke the ball or scoop it home is a great idea in my opinion.