Van Persie to Rangers

MisterC

No this isnt a fishing trip before anyone says. Been seeing stories today that RVP nearly signed for Rangers back in the day for only £3m and all that stopped it going through was that we couldnt move on a player to raise the money for the deal.

I just wonder which was the player we couldnt shift :(

Imagine that though if we had got him and you wonder what great things may have been achieved. Nice to dream though, its better than thinking about the here and now, thats for sure

No this isnt a fishing trip before anyone says. Been seeing stories today that RVP nearly signed for Rangers back in the day for only £3m and all that stopped it going through was that we couldnt move on a player to raise the money for the deal.

I just wonder which was the player we couldnt shift :(

Imagine that though if we had got him and you wonder what great things may have been achieved. Nice to dream though, its better than thinking about the here and now, thats for sure

I reckon he will want to finish his career with us.. (tu)

There's similar stories for Eto'o, Schweinsteiger and Messi I believe.

Messi on a year loan under McLeish was supposedly a real possibility, there's old Sky Sports articles on it etc. Imagine that!

I rember reading Riijkard was about to send us Iniesta on loan in 05/06 then he brought him on as a sub in a friendly and he ran the show so decided to keep him at Barca. If only!

http://forum.rangers...howtopic=276295

Rangers could have had Robin Van Persie for £3m

Robin Van Persie has revealed how he almost joined Rangers for a bargain £3million. He added that he would have been a Rangers player had Dick Advocaat managed to sell one of his Gers stars. The Dutch star said: “I was still playing with Feyernoord and I wanted to go there [Rangers]. I spoke to Dick and he was interested. I was ready to go but they first needed to sell one player before they could buy me.” (Record)

Yer a day late!

At least you can rectify it by merging them, as a moderator.

Ronaldo...

Brazilian superstar Ronaldo has confirmed for the first time that he was made a golden offer to sign for Rangers.

Ronaldo - crowned the greatest player in the world - was almost lured to Scotland last summer in a multi-million pound deal.

But the man who will be gunning for Craig Brown's national side in Paris in June opted to leave Barcelona for Inter Milan instead.

And, in an interview to be screened tonight on Scotsport Extra Time, the striker says: "Yes, it's true, I received an offer from Glasgow Rangers and we looked at it and decided that the best offer at that time was from Inter Milan.

"I said my apologies to all the other interested parties and said Inter was my choice."

The deal that would have shocked the football world was mastermined by chairman David Murray and Rangers kit-makers Nike.

The sportswear giants had planned to buy up a team of the world's top stars and put them on lucrative contracts.

Part of the package meant that players `owned' by Nike would be encouraged to sign for high profile clubs whose kits were also supplied by the American firm.

Rangers offered Ronaldo a two-year contract with a clause which would have allowed him to move on again after just 12 months.

But as Murray believed he was close to striking a deal, Nike's plan was put on the back burner and Ronaldo opted for a pounds 20m transfer to the glamorous Serie A club.

Ronaldo, though, has not enjoyed a dream start to his career in Italy and his form was publicly criticised last week by Inter's president Massimo Moratti.

That news was welcomed by Scots boss Brown who will attempt to snuff out Ronaldo's threat in the World Cup opener in Paris.

Ronaldo said: "I don't really know a lot about the Scottish football scene but I'm sure it's much like the English game and without a doubt it's going to be a tough game against them.

"Scotland has always been a tough side to beat. They're not going to be any different in France."

• 3 months later...

There's similar stories for Eto'o, Schweinsteiger and Messi I believe.

Messi on a year loan under McLeish was supposedly a real possibility, there's old Sky Sports articles on it etc. Imagine that!

It would have been amongst the 03-04 team with vanolii, capucho etc

, he would have probably ended up being shite knowing our luck haha

It is hard to believe now, in light of what has been done to the club, but we were blessed to have some fantastic players, streets ahead of our opposition.

Laudrup and Gazza alone were stunning, but go back to the start of the Souness era, and the likes of Ray Wilkins, Butcher, Woods and we really did promote the club, well into the Champions League era.

For me, it started to go wrong when the top English division went on the new Sky platform, and Scottish games on the original BSB satellite, with the Squarial.

At that point, we took the wrong fork in the road.

Sky have just bid about £11 million for each game they will televise live.

That is mind blowing.

The idiots who pissed away our TV rights for peanuts are one reason why we are in this trouble.

In 92/93, we competed with the top English teams on level terms.

Gradually, because of the difference in TV income, they pulled away.

We get scraps off the table in TV revenue now.

It is hard to believe now, in light of what has been done to the club, but we were blessed to have some fantastic players, streets ahead of our opposition.

Laudrup and Gazza alone were stunning, but go back to the start of the Souness era, and the likes of Ray Wilkins, Butcher, Woods and we really did promote the club, well into the Champions League era.

For me, it started to go wrong when the top English division went on the new Sky platform, and Scottish games on the original BSB satellite, with the Squarial.

That is mind blowing.

The idiots who pissed away our TV rights for peanuts are one reason why we are in this trouble.

Ah well we've always got The Billy Boys to sing to compensate . . . haud oan . . . !

That is mind blowing.

I have always said it was about since about 02-03 season the gap started to widen , abramavic taking over chelsea was probably another main turning point . the premiership gap started increasing and has just snowballed since then .

I have always said it was about since about 02-03 season the gap started to widen , abramavic taking over chelsea was probably another main turning point . the premiership gap started increasing and has just snowballed since then .

The gap widened the moment England were back in Europe. An English/Scottish/Irish/Welsh starlet would rather be on the bench for £10K a week than earn that as a first teamer in Scotland, that's the way it is.

The gap widened the moment England were back in Europe. An English/Scottish/Irish/Welsh starlet would rather be on the bench for £10K a week than earn that as a first teamer in Scotland, that's the way it is.

I don't think the gap between the two leagues was as big in the late 90s and early 00s was as huge as it was in the latter part of the last decade and the ever increasing levels it has widened to in this decade. Us and celtic were still able to attract and had some good quality players in both squads at that time.