Mcdowall- 5 Years To Fix Rangers

Murtaugh

Anyone that thinks we can be challenging next season assuming we get promotion is just living in dreamland .

Ally has left us with a mess on the football field .

It will take a magician to offload them and but good enough players to even get near challenging next two seasons .

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It all depends on how quickly we get back into the SPL and how quickly we can get back into Europe, even if it's just the Europa League.

Outwith celtic we have resources that dwarf the rest of the SPL and a half decent manager should have enough available to get us back to that level fairly quickly. If Derek McInnes & Jackie McNamara can manage it them I'm sure we can appoint somebody who can manage it.

But they are competing with numerous rivals with similar or larger budget than them. We have only 1 rival, a mediocre one at that.

I agree with the last part, this is our last chance, we mess this up, we are finished. Kingco must get it right and quick.

Out with last year City only ever compete against 1 rival for the league.

And yes the money has to be spent wisely. No reason why we can't build for the future while competing with the senior squad at the same time.

Out with last year City only ever compete against 1 rival for the league.

And yes the money has to be spent wisely. No reason why we can't build for the future while competing with the senior squad at the same time.

We're speaking as if City are top dogs, they were a poor example. Chelsea and Man Utd spend similar if not more on their players. Then the random challenges from Liverpool and Arsenal. Then into Europe and there are several clubs with bigger budgets, bigger clubs and better teams than City. The point is they have more suitable opponents than we do. We genuinely only have 1 every single year. We beat them we win. It's that simple.

Totally agree with your last part. We must be competing, as soon as possible.

The biggest problem is we are off schedule, we shouldn't have been a million miles away at this point, and with celt*c being reasonably weak as well then I would have expected us to go up and finish 2nd comfortably.

The route Ally chose to go down has screwed us majorly, with a decent manager in we will improve immediately but talk of winning titles in 2 years is a bit fairytale.

Unless we want King to go down the same route that put us in this position in the first place - wreckless spending.

We need the scouting system, youths, football philosophy all sorted out before we dream of parading the league trophy around again.

Reality check needed.

It could be 1 year it could be 10 years. It could be never.

A lot of scenarios and factors will come in to play here.

King appears to want to spend big as he said we may need to run at a loss for a couple of years. This means we continue the policy of throwing big money at mediocrity with no guarantee of success.

If he goes down a more prudent route then it means scouting younger players again with no guarantee of success.

Like a few others have said i don't think many in our fanbase truly realise the shit we are in.

More financially astute people than me have already put estimates of upwards of £30m to fix this mess. I can't see where we are going to get that kind of money.

Getting a good manager is the main priority. Someone who is respected, known and has a track record of success. And if he is going to spend money on players then a marquee signing is going to have to be considered. The fans will return if they see a commitment to improve our on field shambles. And a big name signing is how you do it.

Conversely it means repeating the failures of the past but that is a risk he may have to take.

For me i can't see any easy way out of this mess because we are 3 years too late in going down the route we should have taken.

To be fair, when Ally signed Boyd and Miller, am sure 95% of bears were happy

Don't think it was that simple.

For myself I didn't think it the right thing to do. However, I reconciled myself to it because it was the McCoist way. I was able to do that because I genuinely thought and expected that the combined firepower of those two in the second tier would guarantee us the title. I failed to factor in the effect of McCoist's non-management of the players.

As to the original question...five years to get back to a position of dominance, yes. But I expect to see planned long term investment in the clubs supporting structures to ensure that we do regain our preeminent position. I would expect us to be challenging for the top within a couple of years though.

To put together a winning team? A couple of seasons, tops.

To reconstruct our entire culture? Five years, give or take.

You really think so Alex?

We are assuming of course that we are getting promoted this season?

Assuming we do he has around 13 players out of contract who can all go as far as i am concerned. That includes Wallace and Templeton (who i think is still under contract).

They have all failed to stand up to the plate this season. Either through lack of ability or bottle or both.

Best case scenario is a couple remain but we are looking at having to bring in about 10 to 12 new players for next season alone. And again assuming we do go up they are going to have to be of a far better standard than those released. Which then means we either go after Bosmans and pay huge wages to get them or we pay a fee. Either way that is going to cost millions to assemble a decent squad just to enable us to compete and not be relegation fodder.

If however he decides to be more pragmatic and wants youth and up and coming Bosmans then it could be longer than 5 years.

And finally we are all assuming the filth won't improve their squad. Like it or not if we do return they will spend more than us because of the improvements in TV and sponsorship deals.

I hope i am wrong here but i cannot see us winning the SPFL for a good few years.

The manager will be the critical factor.

A strong manager who can get us winning on a budget.

Who can beat the mhanks despite spending less than them.

What happens on the park will determine revenues which will improve the squad and so it continues.

The days of buying ourselves success have rightfully gone.

I agree. I think its going to take a while... if done right.

What's it got to do with KM anyway? He's put his notice in, can hardly motivate the players to turn up let alone try and will sail off into the sunset not having to work again. Don't care what he thinks or says.

We have ability in the squad, our current management are failing to bring that out. A new manager could freshen things up and we'd have a different outlook on players like Nicky Law.

If you think back to Walter's return and signing Davie Weir- his best signing second time around and he transfomed our team. A Davie Weir-esque signing, would do our team wonders.

Don't get me wrong, we need a major squad shake-up, but a few tweaks here and there and our side would finish top 6 in the SPL.

As for culture itself, it could be a sticking point. We all know what happened when PLG tried to bring us into the 21st century...

I disagree. I don't think there is any real talent in that squad bar 1 or 2 of the young lads. What has struck home when watching them recently is just how average they really are. Yes a new manager may get a bit more belief instilled in them but he won't make them world beaters. Simply because they aren't that good.

The basics aren't even there with many of them.

As for finishing top 6 with the majority of this squad and a few tweaks...sorry just can't see it at all.

Its a tough situation right now for King &Co. Winning will help with generating attendance and revenue. In order to win (Top 3-4 in the SPL) will require 5-8M quid spent on new players each of the next two seasons. They could, decide to go the youth route and build a low-cost team that can achieve success in 3-5 years. That would risk alienating fans. .

Spending £millions got us into the shite before. Surely whoever takes charge of the football/coaching/Auchenhowie parts of the club has to implement a root and branch change in the ethos otherwise we are back in the shite in jig time.

I disagree. I don't think there is any real talent in that squad bar 1 or 2 of the young lads. What has struck home when watching them recently is just how average they really are. Yes a new manager may get a bit more belief instilled in them but he won't make them world beaters. Simply because they aren't that good.

As for finishing top 6 with the majority of this squad and a few tweaks...sorry just can't see it at all.

I agree. The current team make-up is not built around any particular strength or tactical advantage. The team lacks the things needed today (size in the middle, speed on the flanks) to be consistent.

With the right investment, and the right management team, a new set of scouts and full houses at Ibrox again....... we can easily be winning the top flight in 3 years tops.

If DK can get his act together quickly when he takes control, there is still a good chance we can get promoted this year. If we spend correctly in the summer, we could have a team capable of challenging right away.

Spot on mate. Anyone who thinks we have a clear path back to the top is wrong, king will not fund a path to being the Rangers we were.

IMO we don't need to be as good as we were before admin. I personally feel that the standard in Scotland right through the board has dropped significantly since then, and the team woulnd't need to be as strong as it was to win the top flight.

With the right attitude, there is no reason at all we can not win the playoffs and get to the top flight..... then it's all about investment in the team.

I personally agree with this. All the talk about motivation, boardroom shite, tactics, bla bla bla. The reality is the young ones aren't the best of the young players in Scotland (never saw Telfer) but Aird v Mackay Smith anyone ? The seasoned players are either average or well past their best. Our more skilfull players like Templeton and Shiels have been terrible. The likes of Peralta and Cribari - why the fuk were they ever signed in the first place is beyond me.

(tu)

Is there fuck talent in our squad bar Wallace.

The rest are lowly SPL standard at best.