American "soccer"

It would be a great concept. I reckon if you gave the top clubs the choice of travelling stateside for a game opposed to travelling to some post communist corrupt shithole there would only be one winner. Factor in the untapped financial opportunities, the growth in the game especially post Brazil, world class facilities and the American love of sport it could be, from a business perspective, a lucrative venture. Bear in mind, there's moves to open an NFL franchise in the UK. Different sport but the colour of the monies the same

Football definitely on the up in the states,reckon they'll win the World Cup in the next 20 years

it certainly is due to the accessibility of the game. Despite being the national sport, Baseball viewing figures are dropping, American football due to its physicalities is inaccessible to many as is basketball. Culturally speaking we also have the "soccer mom" and when you see politicians, who never miss a trick when it comes to being popularist, showing an interest you can see the growing interest and participation in the game. Brazil may be a watershed in the US for football.

Most of my life I've been wishing for a European super league in which we could possibly take our rightful position. Still no closer to it.

However we do have a European Champions league and I can see a time relatively soon when non European richer clubs would be involved in an expanded Champion's league, (Arabian oil money backed teams, perhaps the big South American teams, and for commercial/TV reasons some of the US teams). Eonomically that makes sense and money drives top football 100% these days.

Whether this is good or bad from a genuine football context would be a seperate discussion.

It would be a great concept. I reckon if you gave the top clubs the choice of travelling stateside for a game opposed to travelling to some post communist corrupt shithole there would only be one winner. Factor in the untapped financial opportunities, the growth in the game especially post Brazil, world class facilities and the American love of sport it could be, from a business perspective, a lucrative venture. Bear in mind, there's moves to open an NFL franchise in the UK. Different sport but the colour of the monies the same

I find the "basketball" franchise concept quite scary but from a financial viewpoint makes sense. I can see horrible loss of traditions, great football names like "the Rangers" or "the Arsenal" or famous names like "Ajax" or "Porto" could be picked up and moved to cities like Boston, Paris, Berlin which have huge commercial clout but no great football traditions. Death of traditional fan based football.

I find the "basketball" franchise concept quite scary but from a financial viewpoint makes sense. I can see horrible loss of traditions, great football names like "the Rangers" or "the Arsenal" or famous names like "Ajax" or "Porto" could be picked up and moved to cities like Boston, Paris, Berlin which have huge commercial clout but no great football traditions. Death of traditional fan based football.

We all know who would end up in Boston.

I've been living in the US for 8 years now and watched the rise in popularity of the game, especially in the school sports curriculum. At one time it was not taught beyond what we would call primary school. Now there are high school teams.

Globalization has had a positive impact with the internet playing a major role in raising the games profile. In the recent WC there was a street watch party to watch the US team go out of their group. Thousands showed up and the city ground to a standstill as they got behind their team. There are even "soccer specific" pubs here who never show any other sport on their big screens.

The state I live in recently saw the inauguration of an NASL pro team, Indy 11, start their first season with sell out crowds to every home game and a fair contingent of traveling fans who have driven up to a thousand miles round trip to get behind the team.

Last year 42.000 turned out to watch Chelsea V Inter in the pre season Guinness cup tournament at a converted NFL stadium. The atmosphere was electric and the streets after the game was like any other major British city immediately after a game with chanting flag waving Chelsea fans taking over the area around the stadium.

The game is definitely here to stay without doubt. My only disappointment is that there is no promotion and relegation between leagues. That may change as the sport becomes increasingly popular.

Oh and by the way. Before the Indy 11 were formed there was a vote for what colours they should play in. Of course I voted Red White and Blue. The Blue is a little darker though but that's ok, at least it isn't green!