"The Thrilla in Manila" on More4 last night.

Guest therabbitt
Arguably the biggest fight of all time, with both men running themselves so far into the ground that they were almost dying.

It epitomised everything which is both good and bad about the sport.

Did anyone else see it?

Watched the first hour and a half then fell asleep! Totally gutted, hoping it might be on that 4 catch up thing so I can watch it tonight when I get up the road.

Was a very very very well made and interesting documentary. Perhaps a little biased on the side of Smokin' Joe, maybe due to his and his families involvement in the documentary. However some of the actions of Ali were simply mystifying.

Cant wait to see how it turns out. Well, not the fight, we all know the brutality there, but moreso what happens in the rest of the documentary.

I never saw the program but I've seen the fight many times. It was well over 100 degrees in the ring that night and their 8 ounce gloves were soaked in sweat, making them an even more dangerous weapon than usual. In truth this is the fight that ended both fighters career, Ali held the title for three more years but was not the same fighter as he was pre Frazier 3.

Frazier fought Foreman again and was a shell of his former self and was again destroyed. The only fight that I can recall that comes close to the savagery of Ali/frazier 3 was Pryor/Arguello 1.

It's easy to forget what a phenomenal pressure fighter Frazier was in his prime, if you haven't already done so watch his first fight with Ali - Ali just couldn't keep him off him and it was the closest he ever came to be being knocked out in his career.