Rangers Hall of Fame legends added

WilliamFyfe

LORENZO AMORUSO, Derek Parlane, Ian McMillan and George Brown have been inducted into the Rangers Hall of Fame.

All four were honoured this evening during a glittering dinner at the Glasgow Hilton Hotel as the club's greatest ever players assembled once more.

Also recognised were 2009 inductees Stefan Klos, Harold Davis and Sam English, whose inclusions were announced this time last year.

The remaining founding fathers - Peter Campbell, Peter McNeil and William McBeath - joined Moses McNeil in the club's most elite band of former performers too.

Amoruso spent almost six years in Glasgow between 1997 and 2003 after moving to Ibrox from Fiorentina.

As well as playing a major role in two treble triumphs - one as captain - he scored the winner in his final game, a 1-0 Scottish Cup final win over Dundee at Hampden.

In all, Amoruso won nine major honours whilst in Scotland and he was one of Rangers' most cultured defenders of recent times.

He's the fifth foreigner to join the Hall of Fame following Klos, Jorg Albertz, Brian Laudrup and Johnny Hubbard and was delighted to have been acclaimed.

Amoruso said: "It's a fantastic feeling to have been inducted and when I first signed for Rangers 13 years ago, I never thought this kind of thing could happen.

"As an Italian coming to this country, spending so much time here and receiving so much attention and love from the fans and my team-mates, it is a very special honour.

"For a foreign player, it is more difficult from the point of view there is sometimes a lot of money paid for you and you have extra responsibilities.

"That was the case with me and I am very happy to have been chosen for a place in the Hall of Fame."

Parlane served Rangers with distinction for a decade and was a key figure for them in the early 1970s in particular.

The club's leading goalscorer in four seasons out of five at one stage, he found the net 111 times in 300 games before moving on to Leeds in 1980.

Parlane had a habit of scoring against Celtic and of his 10 Old Firm strikes, only one came in a defeat.

Most important of those was his counter in the Centenary Cup Final in 1973, a 3-2 win over the Parkhead team.

Parlane said: "I've been nominated a few times before and I'm not ashamed to admit I was gutted on each occasion when I never got inducted.

"Those experiences make tonight a lot sweeter and it's a very special moment for me. It's fantastic and it's a great award.

"My father Jimmy played for Rangers in the 1940s and he died a few years ago. This would have been a big night for him and he'd have been so proud of me too.

"I've been delighted to be part of this football club. If someone said to me when I signed at 16 and a half that this would happen, I'd have thought they were having a laugh.

"I had 10 great years at Ibrox. I was a supporter first and foremost and this just caps it all perfectly. It's my best moment as a Ranger."

McMillan, nicknamed the Wee Prime Minister, was a key figure in the legendary Rangers team of the late 1950s and early 1960s.

A bustling inside forward, he formed a fantastic double act with the brilliant Jim Baxter in a glorious period for the club.

McMillan made less than 200 appearances for Gers but still did enough in his time at Ibrox to win seven major honours - including two league championships.

He said: "I'm a very proud man. That's everyone from the 1960s team in the Hall of Fame now.

"It was a privilege to play in that team as there were so many great players in it and I loved every minute of it.

"My best memories were playing in Europe. I had come from a provincial club in Airdrie and the next thing I was playing against Real Madrid and Eintracht Frankfurt."

Brown was a skilful wing-half who served Rangers with distinction for half a century both as a player then a director.

Signed from Ashfield Juniors, he was an important member of the all-conquering team of the 1930s and scored 11 times in his first 17 games.

Brown's career was effectively ended by the outbreak of World War Two in 1939 but by then he had amassed a stack of prizes.

ncluded in his haul were no less than five championship medals and he was also successful in the Scottish Cup, winning that four times.

Sadly no longer with us, Brown's award for his induction into the Hall of Fame was collected by his nephew Ross.

He said: "It's a marvellous honour for the family and I know my uncle would have been a proud man this evening.

"We often talked about his career and he told me he played in a fantastic Rangers team which really dominated the period.

"He went on to become a director and it was fantastic to talk to Billy Simpson tonight, who told me it was George who went over to Belfast personally to bring him back to sign for the club."

http://www.rangers.co.uk/articles/20100221/in-the-club_2254024_1973054

Some fantastic names added to a great list of legends, I'm sure more names await :clap: