Match Report: Rangers v Vale of Leven 17th March 1877

McBoyd

I journeyed down to the Mitchell Library yesterday in search of the original match reports from the 3 tie thriller Association Challenge Cup final the Rangers were involved in, in 1877. (The famous photo below being from that). The staff kindly searched out the correct microfilm for the certain year, and I chose to look at the Daily Mail newspaper, figuring it if any would have something regarding the match. It did, and coincidentally it was the same report that has been quoted (a few sentences, which you'll recognise) in various books over the years.

It was great to actually read the report, this is just the first one bear in mind, there are two more yet to come from both replays, and on my next visit, I will also be printing each one out (I'll try my best to get an A3 of the whole page, and the report in it) rather than spending two hours writing it down because I had no change on me, haha.

Anyway, for those interested, the full report of the match that garnered the interest of many football fans in Glasgow, a team of boys against the hardened men of the Vale, who fought valiantly over 3 matches and gained much popularity with fans in doing so.

The fellowship of the trilogy.

1877cupfinalwallpaper-1-1-1.jpg

FOOTBALL

SATURDAY

FINAL ASSOCIATION CUP TIE

Vale of Leven v Rangers

The meeting between these clubs on the ground of the West of Scotland Cricket Club, Partick, on Saturday, was decidedly the finest match that has ever been played since the dribbling game was introduced into Scotland. It ended in a tie, and both clubs will have to meet again. To criticise the players in such a fast game is no easy task, but in our minds the finest man on the field was the Rangers captain, who was ably assisted by his companions and half backs. In fact the back play of the Rangers was decidedly superior to their opponents, the form of Jamieson and Michie being dissapointing when many of their former efforts can be remember with satisfaction.

Indeed, had it not been for the brilliant back play of McIntyre and McLintock, combined with the commendable coolness show by Wood in front of goal, the Vale of Leven would have lost the Association Challenge Cup on Saturday. On the other hand the forwards of both elevens played splendidly at times, and if P.Campbell, M.McNeil, J.Watson, D.Hill and Marshall made brilliant runs, J.Ferguson, R.Paton, J.McDonald and J.Mcgregor also distinguished themselves. Ferguson and Paton on the night, were the most dangerous men to encounter, Baird on the left being easily tackled at times when passing to McGregor, his injured limb marring his play consider ably. The Rangers particularly in the last half of the match, showed better combined play than the Vale, who did not exhibit their usual judgement in front of goal. Young Watt deserves praise for the manner in which he kept his charge, and a goalkeeper of greater experience might have lost in trying to drop the fortress free, instead of throwing the ball away at an exciting moment.

The teams were warmly received on emerging from the handsome pavilion of the West of Scotland Cricket Ground, and the gameg was begun by the Vale of Leven taking the kick off up the field. There was a slight shower of rain and a little wind, but as the game advanced, both died away. The Vale of followed the ball at a rattling pace, and a big kick from McLintock soon sent the leather flying into touch about 20 yards from the Rangers goal, Baird and McDougall were on it as soon as it was thrown in and the other Vale forwards closed in and a scrimmage ensued near the Rangers goal, which ended in Ricketts kicking over the line. A corner kick, of course, followed, but Vallance got his ball away prettily and sent it over to P.Campbell. Just as the latter was getting away however, McIntyre tackled him and getting the ball clear had a shot over the Rangers goal.

Watt then kicked out and P.Campbell in company with Moses McNeil had a capital run down the field. Michie showed good judgement at this juncture by kicking the ball into touch. Several "fouls" occurred before the leather was fairly got away and Ferguson had a grand run up the right side. The other forwards followed in quick accession, Baird kicking the leather past the goal post. The kick out was well headed by McLintock, and the Vale were soon in front of the Rangers goal again, which was saved by a punt over the lines. Jamieson had the free kick from the corner flag, but it was no use, the Rangers backs doing their work in fine style, and the scene of operations was changed to the lower goal.

P.Campbell and Watson had a pretty run and in trying to get on the ball Jamieson missed his kick, and amid much excitement the Rangers forewards closed in on the Vale goal. A most determined scrummage occurred, the Rangers doing all they could to force the ball through, and the Vale backs crowding in front of the goal keeper with equal spirit and pluck. At last the ball rolled to the feet of Michie and the matter ended by it being sent over the lines for safety. "Hands" was claimed shortly after the corner kick and for some time the Vale of Leven had a hot time of it, McIntyre in endeavouring to free his goal heading the ball over the bar. When the last corner kick was taken Lindsay got on the ball and passing it to McLintock, the latter made a fine kick, which not only entirely freed the goal, but enabled the Leven captain to get another of his dashing runs. He was accompanied on this raid by Paton and McGregor. The latter made a fine shot clean into the Rangers goal, but Watt threw the ball away when was about to be charged by Baird, whop dashed up at that moment.

The game was now at a rapid pace, the ball being all over the field in a few minutes. After a determined scrimmage near the Vale corner flag the latter forwards came away prettily, and McDougall ended a grand run by kicking the ball past the Rangers right goal post. Watt sent the ball over to Campbell in punting it out and the latter made a fine run all alone. Passing both McLintock and Jamieson, he came dangerously near the Vale of Leven goal with the ball at his toe, and not a soul was between him and the keeper. Dunlop was slow in following up and the chance was lost, for Wood watched the parting shot well which passed the post. Half time arrived just as Ferguson finished a long shot into the Rangers goal, which was freed by Gillepsie. The spectators were getting impatient for goals now and many expressed that opinion that the Level men would soon score when they had the ground in their favour. And this theory was well grounded. The Rangers however, had the kick off and followed it up so successfully that Dunlop in endeavouring to shoot for the Vale of Leven goal, sent the ball over the lines.

After the kick out the Leven men came down the hill prettily with the ball at their toes, Baird, Ferguson, McDougall and McGregor passed to eachother fair across the field. When near the Rangers goal one of the centre forwards let fly at the stronghold, but Watt punted the ball away. It did not get far however, and after an exciting scrimmage one of the Rangers touched it with his hands. The free kick was taken by McLintock and Paton cleverly headed the leather amid loud cheers. After this tine bit of play, and considering that the Dunbartonshire men had the ground in their favour, many who had been sanguine of the success of the Rangers, as evinced by their plucky play in the first half, now expected that all was over, but the game was not yet won or lost. Facing their opponents in the centre once more, the Rangers again followed their captains kick off pluckily, but the Vale of Leven men looked more determined than ever. McLintock tackled Campbell grandly in the field and passing the ball to Lindsay and McGregor the pair came down on the Rangers goal with great speed. Ferguson and Paton closed well down, and a most determined scrimmage ensued. Ferguson had the ball to the verge of the goal post and on being collared by Vallance he passed to Bair on the other side, but the last shot missed.

The Rangers, mainly through the grand play of their Captain, Gillepsie and W.McNeil altered the aspect of affairs and now the Vale of Leven had to fight desperately. A "hand" was called about 40 yards from their goal, and Gillepsie was entrusted with the "free kick". The Vale men lined up well in front of their goal, and after "bobbing" from the heads of Moses McNeil, Ricketts and Campbell, the ball was breasted out by McLintock. After an exciting scrimmage however it glanced from the leg of McDouggal and clean under the goal. The excitement was now intense and cheering again and again renewed. It was now about 20 minutes from the call of time and the issue of the game was as doubtful as ever. After the Leven men kicked off they made it hot for the Rangers, by fine play on the part of Ferguson, Paton, McGregor and others. But the Rangers back play was grand and actually improved as the game advanced, Campbell after this got past Jamieson repeatedly and on one occasion he made a fine shot at the Vale goal which Wood had to punt away smartly.

Both sides now played with something like desperation to overcome the other, and each goal was in turn, endangered. Shortly before the game ended Campbell made another of his brilliant runs and getting well up, he passed the ball to M.McNeil in the center and the latter shot out from the other forwards in rare form, dribbling prettily up to the goal, at which he made a smart shot. Wood caught the ball, with something like the expertness of a wicket keeper in a cricket match and freed his goal, amid great cheering. Cries of "Time to Win the cup yet Rangers", "Waken up and run through them Vale of Leven", "Played, Campbell", "Bravo Johnny" and "Now Sandy, my callant!" came from every side, but the game ended in a tie.

After the most exciting and, indeed, fastest match on record, each club being credited with one goal. The Spectators gave loud cheers for both teams ere they left the field, and some of the members of the younger club were borne to the pavilion on the shoulders of admiring friends. The two elevens met in the Athole Arms in the evening where a most agreeable evening was spent. We have been informed that Jamieson had been ailing for some days previous to the match, and have been advised not to play; but anxious, to keep his engagement he had turned out and this may account for his inferior play.

The second match between the clubs is to take place on the 7th April, probably at Partick.

Teams as under;

Rangers; Watt, Goalie, T.Vallance (Captain), G.Gillepsie, backs, Ricketts, W.McNeil, half backs, M.McNeil, J.Watson, A.Dunlop, P.Campbell, A.Marshall and D.Hill, forwards.

Vale of Leven; A.C.Wood, Goalie, A.M.McIntyre, A.Mitchie, backs, W.Jamieson, A.McLintock, half backs, J.Ferguson (Captain), R.Paton, J.McGregor, J.McDougall, S.Baird and D.Lindsay, forwards.

Umpires; T.Barnett (Havelock) and J.G Steweart (Caledonian)

Referee; Jas Kerr (Hamilton)

Excellent read, and what a change the English language has made since those days. :praise:

I thought the exact same as I jotted it down, but if I ever have to write the words 'pretty, scrimmage, ensued' again I may go mad :lol:

Excellent read, and what a change the English language has made since those days. :praise:

I thought the exact same as I jotted it down, but if I ever have to write the words 'pretty, scrimmage, ensued' again I may go mad :lol:

Well make sure you have some cash on you next time for a print out which can be scanned! :lol:

Brilliant read :praise:

I particularly enjoyed "Cries of "Time to Win the cup yet Rangers", "Waken up and run through them Vale of Leven", "Played, Campbell", "Bravo Johnny" and "Now Sandy, my callant!" came from every side".

If ever there was a word that needs to make a comeback, it's 'callant'.

• 2 weeks later...

I won't bug people with new threads about the replay reports, so heres the 14th April report from the North British Daily Mail.

Part 1 and 2.

(April 9th report is coming, I'm missing a section, must have left it at the printer, so that'll be up soon.)

NorthBritishDailyMailSaturday14thApril1877.jpg

NorthBritishDailyMailSaturday14thApril1877%282%29.jpg