1968 Ibrox Fire

Bad Robot

Got this photo of BobAgg51 but never really knew anything about a fire at Ibrox started by an arsonist. The photo looks pretty bad.

"In Flames: The main stand at Ibrox stadium was hit by fire on October 23rd 1968. Firemen can be seen directing fires hoses from a turntable ladder".I

Does anyone know or remember anything about the fire and how bad it was ?

It seems the night before an arsonists also tried to torch Hampden:

Fire! Fire! Fire!

On the night of the 21st October 1968, Hampden was badly damaged by a blaze, which destroyed much of the centre stand, the visitors’ dressing rooms and the main administration offices. The League Cup Final was due to be staged a few days later and its postponement added to Queens Park’s cash flow worries.

Any thoughts that the fire had been accidental were dispelled when there was a similar fire at Ibrox Stadium the following night and the Cathkin stand was gutted a few weeks later.

post-59337-0-07387600-1372525100_thumb.j

That fire took place just a few days before we signed Colin Stein from Hibs. The stand wasn't badly damaged and was fully open on 9th November when Colin scored his 2nd hat-trick in his 2nd game against his old team. He then went off to play in the Fairs Cup at Dundalk but only managed 2 goals on the Wednesday night.

I think Hampden was more seriously damaged and Cathkin Park (lying derelict after Thirds went bust) was badly damaged some time afterwards.

Never knew any of that, strange story if any of the fires were related. Only thing vaguely related I can think of was when a gas bottle exploded in a burger stallat the back of the Copland Road terrace during a midweek game against Motherwell in the 70s. I don't think anybody was hurt but a lot of us ran on the park and then sneaked in to the centenary stand, as the game restarted.