23rd March 2015 - Davie Cooper tribute

Muirheadbear

I know it's still over a year away however I think it would be great if Rangers could approach the SPFL (no scoffing please) and request a home game that weekend next season. It will mark the 20th anniversary of Davie's all too premature death. The 23rd is a Monday night so it would be even better if SKY or BT Sports rearranged that fixture for Monday 23rd March.

Then an even bigger audience could have access to 50,000 bears paying tribute to one of the best players to ever pull on a royal blue shirt.

Go to it Rangers.

the word " Legend " is used far to often , but not for the "COOP", how many goals from his corners ???. I remember sittin in the centenary stand seein him score direct from a corner, could you just imagine him and Laudrop in the same team ????

gone but never ever , ever , forget him !!!

I'll be there to show respect to a legend who made the first few years of my watching the Gers bearable.I went home and away in the Greig era and even in a poor team Davie won us cup's on his own .Was great to watch him play in souness's side with players who deserved to be on the same pitch as him.

Was too young to see Davie but have seen plenty of the videos, was shown them growing up by my dad and may even still have some somewhere.

100% behind this idea, one of the best players to grace Ibrox and though highly of many throughout Europe. Fingers crossed that this goes ahead, will an emotional night if it does

I remember March 2005 10 years after Davie's sad passing it was the Davie Cooper cup final against Motherwell. A cracking day where both sets of fans paid tribute to him. How about playing his home town of Hamilton? It could be at home or away. Providing Hamilton don't get promoted of course.

I really hope we can request such a fixture.

yea , free kick against aberdeen, probably the best struck I had the privelidge to witness, watch it on video , Jim Leighton never moved till the ball hit the net, Coop had more skill in his left foot , and a football brain , more than the current team all added together, and a gentleman off the park , without a doubt a real Legend !!!

He was without a doubt the most skillfull Scottish player , I had the fortune to watch playing for Rangers.

Great idea Mb as I saw earlier, the best way would be to sell it to the septic FA....sorry SFA as a tribute to a great Scottish legend of the game, try and get it arranged for Rangers and we will have some form of sectariam fine imposed on us for being in blue.

Coop was one of those few that as soon as he got the ball, you held your breath, you did not know what was coming. He could be out of a game then in an instant he would produce something sublime. The words great and legend get banded about but he was both of those words and he was one of ours. It will be a long time before we see another the likes of him again. I count my self lucky to have watched him play in real life as so many other memories come back, usually defenders giving up as he had put them on their arse, with his turning and weaving, Coop always keeping the ball just out of their way or just nut-meging them. A truly great player, God rest him.

Im currently reading a kindle book about Davie and something occurred to me.

Around the time all they players were leaving you just know in your heart of hearts that Coop would have stayed.

No way would he have left. It's a twisted thought in some ways but the thought of Davie Cooper driving us up those leagues would have been brilliant. What he have done with those Arbroath defenders yesterday for instance???

Another loss is that he could have been involved at Auchenhowie just now in a coaching role.

It really seems weird but the longer since his passing the more I seem to feel it.

He had so much still to contribute, not just in his life, but also to the club he loved!