Where's Walty?

WadeWilson

Can anyone spot the deliberate mistake in this article... Pay attention to the names in bold.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

David Moyes' sacking marks end of an era for Scottish managers

By Richard Wilson

BBC Scotland

The sacking of David Moyes is also an act against tradition.

The notion of Scottish managers delivering a certain kind of gruff authority, the ability to rouse an unimpeachable team spirit and winning mentality, is still ingrained in the consciousness of English football.

It stems from the lasting impacts made by Sir Matt Busby and Bill Shankly - two men who changed and shaped the destinies of Manchester United and Liverpool respectively, enabling the clubs to reach for dominance and glory - but also Jock Stein's triumph in Europe with Celtic and then the hard-edged, if at times darkly romantic, 27-year reign of Sir Alex Ferguson at Old Trafford.

Each of these men contributed to Scotland's reputation for exporting outstanding managers, even when the playing pool is bereft of world class quality.

There was a tier below the four icons, with the likes of Kenny Dalglish, George Graham, Gordon Strachan, Tommy Docherty, and Graeme Souness all making noteworthy progress, and then the contemporary figures followed.

Moyes was once the epitome of this new breed, ahead of managers such as Paul Lambert, Alex McLeish, Owen Coyle - born, raised and deeply influenced by life in Glasgow and Scottish football, despite representing the Republic of Ireland once due to his family roots - Billy Davies, Steve Clarke, and Malky Mackay.

There was a time, almost three years ago, when the English Premier League season started with seven clubs being managed by Scots: Ferguson, Moyes, Dalglish, Coyle, McLeish, Lambert and Steve Kean. Yet by this summer there might be none left, since Lambert's future at Aston Villa is uncertain while the club's American owner, Randy Lerner, seeks a buyer.

Success runs in cycles, and it was almost a freakish statistic that so many Scots were prominent in the top tier of English football in 2011. Even so, it reflected an old conviction that the coal mining and industrial working class communities of Glasgow and its surrounding valleys were a breeding ground for managerial nous.

Moyes was responsible, in some senses, for maintaining the lineage, since contemporaries like Coyle, McLeish and Lambert took encouragement from the way he made his name in England, but also enjoyed the merit of the ongoing reflection of a successful Scottish manager.

Ultimately, though, the tradition of valuing the worth of managers from north of the border was sustained and prolonged by Ferguson. He has been central to the careers of so many managers that describe him as the Godfather of English football was both a cliché and a truth. Chairmen across the country sought his counsel when searching for a new manager, and Ferguson's recommendation was often decisive.

Managers also sought his advice as well as his patronage. His own career is not undermined by a moment of misjudgement - which is what the appointment of Moyes will now always be considered - but it does diminish the extent of Ferguson's ongoing influence. The age of his authority, and the lineage that stretches back to Busby, Shankly and Stein, is over.

All managers now are formally qualified, their individualism heavily moulded by the structure of Uefa's coaching qualifications, and few in western Europe will come from the same industrial, impoverished, working class backgrounds as the coal villages of Ayrshire and the shipyards of Govan.

Moyes, born and brought up in a tenement close in Thornwood before the family moved to the more comfortable Bearsden, was the bridge between the old and new generation of managers. There are impressive Scots currently at work, among them Derek McInnes, Stuart McCall, Dougie Freedman and Darren Ferguson, but the trend of appointing foreign managers is now firmly entrenched in the upper tiers of English football.

Moyes could command another prominent appointment, but others will have to work their way up, slowly and doggedly. Sir Alex Ferguson's opinion will still hold cache, but that is diminishing, too, so it feels as though an era has ended. Scots can still excel, and the Scottish Football Association's coach education programme is widely admired, but the network of influence in England has now been drastically curtailed."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...Seems to me like someone has been airbrushed from Scottish football's proud history of managers.

Hilarious stuff from Auntie McBeeb.

Biased, Bogtrotting Cunts.

Ffs even Steve fucking Kean got a mention before Walter they really are a shower of bitter cunts

Exactly... I mean come on... Dougie Freedman... Darren Ferguson... Steve fucking Kean. :lol:

Somebody on here said that Richard Wilson was a Bear...? Must be a 'gremlin' in the sub-editors office.

Exactly... I mean come on... Dougie Freedman... Darren Ferguson... Steve fucking Kean. :lol:

Somebody on here said that Richard Wilson was a Bear...? Must be a 'gremlin' in the sub-editors office.

Imagine even including Busby,Shankly Ferguson and Dougie Freedman on the same list haha ridiculous list

To be fair, BMR, I think the list mainly refers to Scottish managers with English clubs.

Walter's record in the EPL was undistiguished; it was with us, and also what he did in charge of the national team that made history.

Saying that, Stein was no great shakes in England was he? Yet he still got a mention.

Very well spotted about Walter's omission BTW. They love to ignore us, don't they.

It is almost as if they just HAVE to include Septic in passing.

Fuck the BBC, and their licence fee tax.

To be fair, BMR, I think the list mainly refers to Scottish managers with English clubs.

Walter's record in the EPL was undistiguished; it was with us, and also what he did in charge of the national team that made history.

Saying that, Stein was no great shakes in England was he? Yet he still got a mention.

And McCall and McInness didn't exactly cover themselves in glory down there but they get a mention.

Nah, think this is deliberate on the author's part. Shocking but all too predictable.

The article is right about one thing though; reading from the earliest managers up to the current day, the quality has tailed-off to the point that who in their right mind would now employ a Scottish boss?

Like Scottish players, the class has evaporated.

The article is right about one thing though; reading from the earliest managers up to the current day, the quality has tailed-off to the point that who in their right mind would now employ a Scottish boss?

I agree and disagree, I would also say that football has modernised and moved on from managers terrifying players into performing. Players mentalities have also changed. Some might say players have turned into pussys, I think this is true, and perhaps a reason why old skool scottish management is becoming a thing of the past. Players seem to perform better in better conditions now, and perhaps a hug works better than a kick in the balls. I'm sure SAF knew this and changed his philosophy throughout the years.

Before, Scottish managers had the edge, they were tactically astute as well as hard. Now they are on a more level playing field as being a hard man has less merit.

Just my opinion.

Very well spotted about Walter's omission BTW. They love to ignore us, don't they.

It is almost as if they just HAVE to include Septic in passing.

I don't think Stein was with Leeds much longer than Brian Clough!

How many of the current crew of high profile Scottish bosses have passed through Largs?

Seems to be becoming a bit of an outdated model, given the number who've been cleaned out in the last year or so.