FIFA fine Argentina FA over Falklands Banner

Siam69

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28498909

Argentina FA fined £20,000 for Falklands banner display

Fifa has fined the Argentina FA £20,000 after its players displayed a banner in support of their country's claims to the Falkland Islands.

The Argentina team posed with a banner before a 2-0 friendly win against Slovenia in La Plata on 7 June.

The banner read: "Las Malvinas son Argentinas", which translates as "The Falklands are Argentine".

Football's governing body said that it infringed rules on political action and team misconduct.

The UK and Argentina went to war over the Falklands from April to June 1982.

The conflict led to the deaths of 655 Argentine and 255 British servicemen. Three people from the islands also died during the conflict.

The 30,000 Swiss franc fine is the second time that Fifa has fined Argentina's football authority this month. A £200,000 fine was imposed for failing to bring Argentina players to pre-match news conferences at the World Cup in Brazil.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28498909

Argentina FA fined £20,000 for Falklands banner display

Fifa has fined the Argentina FA £20,000 after its players displayed a banner in support of their country's claims to the Falkland Islands.

The Argentina team posed with a banner before a 2-0 friendly win against Slovenia in La Plata on 7 June.

The banner read: "Las Malvinas son Argentinas", which translates as "The Falklands are Argentine".

Football's governing body said that it infringed rules on political action and team misconduct.

The UK and Argentina went to war over the Falklands from April to June 1982.

The conflict led to the deaths of 655 Argentine and 255 British servicemen. Three people from the islands also died during the conflict.

The 30,000 Swiss franc fine is the second time that Fifa has fined Argentina's football authority this month. A £200,000 fine was imposed for failing to bring Argentina players to pre-match news conferences at the World Cup in Brazil.

So their news conference is more important than a politically inflammatory banner?

I genuinely thought it was a photoshop

I always remember one of my primary school teachers asking us "What is the Spanish name for The Falklands?"

I correctly stated that it was "Las Malvinas", only to be incorrectly corrected by the teacher.

She said, "No. Good try but it's the Maldives".

I told her that the Maldives were a holiday resort in the Indian Ocean and I knew that because we got a postcard from the neighbour who went there on holiday.

Yet the teacher insisted that she was right. "No. You're wrong. It's the Maldives".

It wasn't the first time a teacher tried to incorrectly correct me when I was actually correct.

I got sick of them asking to "see the working" when I could do basic arithmetic quite easily. They even insisted when there were no answers in the back of the book or anybody near that I could seriously copy from.

Anyway, well done FIFA for once.

I would boycott corned beef if I ate it.

How's about a rival banner, "Messi is British and wants to play for Rangers."?

I always remember one of my primary school teachers asking us "What is the Spanish name for The Falklands?"

I correctly stated that it was "Las Malvinas", only to be incorrectly corrected by the teacher.

I told her that the Maldives were a holiday resort in the Indian Ocean and I knew that because we got a postcard from the neighbour who went there on holiday.

Yet the teacher insisted that she was right. "No. You're wrong. It's the Maldives".

It wasn't the first time a teacher tried to incorrectly correct me when I was actually correct.

I got sick of them asking to "see the working" when I could do basic arithmetic quite easily. They even insisted when there were no answers in the back of the book or anybody near that I could seriously copy from.

nobody likes a smart arse

What the fuck you talking about??

An absolute joke, they should be stripped of their titles, both FIFA and CONMEBOL and be banned from football for 255 years, one year for each of the Brits they murdered.

Edit:: But as a gesture of goodwill, we will backdate the ban to 1982 and any titles won prior to 1982 can remain.