Baxter and Gascoigne.

tannerall

Two world class midfielders with flair and huge character and cheekiness. Unfortunately I don't remember Baxter hardly as I was very young when he was just finishing his Rangers spell and I started going to Ibrox. (I remember him later in his pub though. (tu))

Would like to see a few posts from posters who can make the comparison between Baxter and Gascoigne.

Ironic that Baxters' greatest moment was at Wembley v England, and Gascoignes' was (arguably ?) against Scotland at Wembey.

Two of the greatest players that I ever saw in a Rangers jersey. Two of the greates players not just in Great Britain or indeed Europe but in fact in World football. Two very different players but sparkling talents each in his own way. I could give you hugely compelling arguments for both.

Both were just a joy to watch. Baxter perhaps the silkier player - the man who never seemed to need effort to outplay his opponents. A marvellous player in a great Rangers team which slipped a little when he left. Gascoigne - the same.

Jim Baxter was a new thing in football when he burst on the scene. He emerged well before George Best as the playboy of football and his record in big matches was unbelievable. Baxter totally dominated the domestic game in Scotland and his International record was also amazing. If the bheggars were the biggest club opponents he regularly put them to the sword and often tormented them. At International level his record against Englan was simply incredible - 2 goals past Gordon Banks on his England debut, that keepy uppie in 67 - they must have hated his being.

Paul Gascoigne - daft as a brush but exquisite talent and enthusiasm. Gazza sparkled in another fantastic Rangers side and along with sublime talent he could (and so often did) burst past defenders as he carried the ball 50/60/70 yards before slotting it home so casually. Gazza scored so many goals from midfield and rarely did he score an ordinary goal. Who knows what he might have done for England in Italian 90 were it not for the booking - they might just have gone all the way.

Pick between them - not today I can't. Sometimes it is Slim Jim sometimes Gazza but there are other candidates too of course!

Over the piece - I'm one of a lucky generation who saw them both and nobody can ever take that away. They both took great pleasure in beating the big opponents and they both achieved it so often.

Two of the greatest players that I ever saw in a Rangers jersey. Two of the greates players not just in Great Britain or indeed Europe but in fact in World football. Two very different players but sparkling talents each in his own way. I could give you hugely compelling arguments for both.

Both were just a joy to watch. Baxter perhaps the silkier player - the man who never seemed to need effort to outplay his opponents. A marvellous player in a great Rangers team which slipped a little when he left. Gascoigne - the same.

Jim Baxter was a new thing in football when he burst on the scene. He emerged well before George Best as the playboy of football and his record in big matches was unbelievable. Baxter totally dominated the domestic game in Scotland and his International record was also amazing. If the bheggars were the biggest club opponents he regularly put them to the sword and often tormented them. At International level his record against Englan was simply incredible - 2 goals past Gordon Banks on his England debut, that keepy uppie in 67 - they must have hated his being.

Paul Gascoigne - daft as a brush but exquisite talent and enthusiasm. Gazza sparkled in another fantastic Rangers side and along with sublime talent he could (and so often did) burst past defenders as he carried the ball 50/60/70 yards before slotting it home so casually. Gazza scored so many goals from midfield and rarely did he score an ordinary goal. Who knows what he might have done for England in Italian 90 were it not for the booking - they might just have gone all the way.

Pick between them - not today I can't. Sometimes it is Slim Jim sometimes Gazza but there are other candidates too of course!

Over the piece - I'm one of a lucky generation who saw them both and nobody can ever take that away. They both took great pleasure in beating the big opponents and they both achieved it so often.

Great post mate, can't disagree with anything you say about these two brilliant Rangers players. :7325:

I too saw them both. There is no doubt in my mind Baxter was the better of the two. However to throw a spanner in the works, I think Durrant was better than Gascoigne at the same age - we know what happened there. I dont think he would have been as good as Baxter but that we will never know. There has never been a better Scottish player since Durrant - ask Souness - he wil confirm!

18 old firm games for Baxter and he was only on the losing side twice.

I would be interested to know from older bears what effect the transfer of Baxter to Sunderland in 1965 had on Rangers and how much it contributed to to the other lots dominance from the mid 60s on.

I am extremely fortunate to have seen both players in action. Jim existed in a time when the top footballer didn't earn a great deal more than the most successful working classes. Indeed in his early days he used to come from the mining pit to play for Rangers. Paul was a product of the celebrity cult which grew from the 1990s and pervades our culture today.

Paul was an extremely talented young and generous man who fell in with the wrong crowd. Jimmy Baxter was of similar ilk. Jimmy from a small mining community catapulted into big city life and Paul who wanted to be all things to all men

Both were football geniuses but genius is a heavy load, it can take you down a lonely road.

Jimmy, I can do nothing about but wish him rest. Paul, all I can do is hope he can sort out his demons.

Both men are much loved members of our Rangers family and will remain ever so.

As for who was the better player, it is an impossible task given the difference in speed of play between the generations. Almost like comparing Rod Laver v Rodger Federer in tennis terms.

Both players were immense in their respective eras. It would be like comparing Gazza to the current stars of today. Times change, fitness and speed changes. I am just thankful to have seen both players make a huge impact on Rangers and I thank them both for the wonderful memories.

I was extremely fortunate to see both players in action. Jim existed in a time when the top footballer didn't earn a great deal more than the most successful working classes. Indeed in his early days he used to come from the mining pit to play for Rangers. Paul was a product of the celebrity cult which grew from the 1990s and pervades our culture today.

Paul was an extremely talented young and generous man who fell in with the wrong crowd. Jimmy Baxter was of similar ilk. Jimmy from a small mining community catapulted into big city life and Paul who wanted to be all things to all men

Both were football geniuses but genius is a heavy load, it can take you down a lonely road.

Jimmy, I can do nothing about but wish him rest. Paul, all I can do is hope he can sort out his demons.

Both men are much loved members of our Rangers family and will remain ever so.

Another great post. :7325:

Growing up Baxter was my first Rangers hero. What made him and Gazza special is that they could control a game with their pace. The difference is Baxter would slow the pace down, then feed a killer pass. Gazza would use his pace to burst past players on 30-40 yd runs. The only player I have seen with more skill than Jim Baxter is Messi. And I have seen Pele Eusabio, Garrincha, Croyft et al. Yes Jim Baxter is in that class. His leaving for Sunderland set Rangers back 8-9 years.He had the audacity to want more than the wage every other player was on at Ibrox.

I'd give Baxter the nod by a 'baw-hair'. Baxter's ability to control matches would be in sharp contrast to Gazza's ability to win matches almost single-handed with the 3-0 Aberdeen being a prime example.

Gazza was a worker who had an amazing physical presence whereas Baxter refused to work as it all came so naturally to him. Gazza was cheeky whereas Baxter was just bloody arrogant and boy could he back it up.

Like others I have been fortunate to have seen both players (tu)